Visit law schools alone?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:22 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:Lol dude, don't let your parents go with you.


Lol dude, don't do shit that could screw up getting two hundred thousand dollars.


Who's parents who committed to paying for the child's law school would back out b/c they are not allowed to attend a law school visit? You TLS'ers over-dramatize everything.


You sound like a Republican who bashes the government that he is a member of.
Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:23 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:Lol dude, don't let your parents go with you.


Lol dude, don't do shit that could screw up getting two hundred thousand dollars.


Who's parents who committed to paying for the child's law school would back out b/c they are not allowed to attend a law school visit? You TLS'ers over-dramatize everything.


You sound like a Republican who bashes the government that he is a member of.


I'm a minority, definitely not a Republican. But I don't consider myself a TLS'er just a frequent guest. TLS is a good resource.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18409
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:28 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:Who's parents who committed to paying for the child's law school would back out b/c they are not allowed to attend a law school visit? You TLS'ers over-dramatize everything.


Fuck if I know, maybe they want to be involved in the decision process so they can feel that their money is being well spent, I have no idea because they are not my parents. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility for parents to be fickle.

If my parents were paying for me, I would ask them not to come because I feel it is my decision, but if they insisted I would say sure. If they weren't paying me then I'd put my foot down.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:30 pm

bk1 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:Who's parents who committed to paying for the child's law school would back out b/c they are not allowed to attend a law school visit? You TLS'ers over-dramatize everything.


Fuck if I know, maybe they want to be involved in the decision process so they can feel that their money is being well spent, I have no idea because they are not my parents. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility for parents to be fickle.

If my parents were paying for me, I would ask them not to come because I feel it is my decision, but if they insisted I would say sure. If they weren't paying me then I'd put my foot down.


I mean you're right that all parents are different, but I couldn't imagine, my mother doing that (if she had the money to pay for my law school). Or any of my close friends parents doing that for that matter.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:31 pm

bk1 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:Who's parents who committed to paying for the child's law school would back out b/c they are not allowed to attend a law school visit? You TLS'ers over-dramatize everything.


Fuck if I know, maybe they want to be involved in the decision process so they can feel that their money is being well spent, I have no idea because they are not my parents. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility for parents to be fickle.

If my parents were paying for me, I would ask them not to come because I feel it is my decision, but if they insisted I would say sure. If they weren't paying me then I'd put my foot down.


If I told them I wanted to go by myself, I could probably get away with it. But if I ever had one question, I would get stonewalled with responses like "Oh, well we weren't good enough to visit with you X months ago, why would you want our input now"? Yes, they are vindictive like that. Generous and caring, but vindictive.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18409
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:32 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:I mean you're right that all parents are different, but I couldn't imagine, my mother doing that (if she had the money to pay for my law school). Or any of my close friends parents doing that for that matter.


I couldn't with my parents or my friends' parents either. Then again, my parents nor any of my friends' parents are the type to bankroll $200k for higher education.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:32 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
bk1 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:Who's parents who committed to paying for the child's law school would back out b/c they are not allowed to attend a law school visit? You TLS'ers over-dramatize everything.


Fuck if I know, maybe they want to be involved in the decision process so they can feel that their money is being well spent, I have no idea because they are not my parents. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility for parents to be fickle.

If my parents were paying for me, I would ask them not to come because I feel it is my decision, but if they insisted I would say sure. If they weren't paying me then I'd put my foot down.


If I told them I wanted to go by myself, I could probably get away with it. But if I ever had one question, I would get stonewalled with responses like "Oh, well we weren't good enough to visit with you X months ago, why would you want our input now"? Yes, they are vindictive like that. Generous and caring, but vindictive.


Your parents probably know less about law school than you do, why do you even need their advice.

User avatar
lawfreak
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby lawfreak » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:33 pm

What are you afraid of lol!?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18409
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:33 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:If I told them I wanted to go by myself, I could probably get away with it. But if I ever had one question, I would get stonewalled with responses like "Oh, well we weren't good enough to visit with you X months ago, why would you want our input now"? Yes, they are vindictive like that. Generous and caring, but vindictive.


1. I'm jealous of your situation.

2. I'd just tell them that parents aren't intended for things like ASW, that that sort of event is geared entirely towards students. If they would like to visit with you at a separate time, maybe take a small tour of the place when it's just you and them. That's how I'd slang it if my parents were paying for me and really wanted to visit.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18409
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Your parents probably know less about law school than you do, why do you even need their advice.


I don't think it's about the actual advice but more creating the illusion that you are listening to them (because it's worth it for that when they are paying you so much money).

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:35 pm

bk1 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:I mean you're right that all parents are different, but I couldn't imagine, my mother doing that (if she had the money to pay for my law school). Or any of my close friends parents doing that for that matter.


I couldn't with my parents or my friends' parents either. Then again, my parents nor any of my friends' parents are the type to bankroll $200k for higher education.


My mom definitely would if she had it, but you know, thats not the case.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18409
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:37 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:My mom definitely would if she had it, but you know, thats not the case.


My parents wouldn't even if they could.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:37 pm

bk1 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Your parents probably know less about law school than you do, why do you even need their advice.


I don't think it's about the actual advice but more creating the illusion that you are listening to them (because it's worth it for that when they are paying you so much money).


Exactly. Even if I had any questions in general, they would hold my desire for independence when visiting law schools against me. They are no strangers to grudges.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:41 pm

what if your mom travels with you for a pseudo-vacay (doing other activities in the area, before and after) but does NOT come to ASW on campus?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:43 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:what if your mom travels with you for a pseudo-vacay (doing other activities in the area, before and after) but does NOT come to ASW on campus?


Nobody would care, but ASW usually includes social events at night. Frankly I think your mom would be bored out of her mind.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:44 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:what if your mom travels with you for a pseudo-vacay (doing other activities in the area, before and after) but does NOT come to ASW on campus?


I should clarify. I'm just talking about visiting. Some schools are taking forever to make decisions, and my schedule will be too hectic to make ASW's in the Spring. Therefore, I need to do random visits.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18409
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:what if your mom travels with you for a pseudo-vacay (doing other activities in the area, before and after) but does NOT come to ASW on campus?


Nobody would care, but ASW usually includes social events at night. Frankly I think your mom would be bored out of her mind.


Can she get drunk?

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:46 pm

bk1 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:what if your mom travels with you for a pseudo-vacay (doing other activities in the area, before and after) but does NOT come to ASW on campus?


Nobody would care, but ASW usually includes social events at night. Frankly I think your mom would be bored out of her mind.


Can she get drunk?


only if (huge) margaritas are involved....btw i'm talking ASW in Charlottesville....
Last edited by paulinaporizkova on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:48 pm

bk1 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:what if your mom travels with you for a pseudo-vacay (doing other activities in the area, before and after) but does NOT come to ASW on campus?


Nobody would care, but ASW usually includes social events at night. Frankly I think your mom would be bored out of her mind.


Can she get drunk?


Mothers weekend in college was fun.

User avatar
vissidarte27
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby vissidarte27 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:55 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:What if you are straight from undergrad, and your parents are bankrolling law school? (and insist on visiting with you)


I'd do A LOT of embarrassing things for 200K.

Bring them if you must but let them know that it's abnormal.


They just haven't realized that I don't really give two shits about what the campus looks like. I care about getting a job in the area that I want to work in. I am picking schools based off on that. They will say "Oh, look how pretty this building is."

But I guess I will have to shut my mouth and accept it, considering I will not see a single bill for my JD.


If you're embarrassed, I'd be more than happy to have your parents accompany me on law school visits and then foot my JD bill. Take the burden off of your shoulders. Help you out. Be a good samaritan.

I'm nice like that.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:56 pm

Does anyone else think MrPapagiorgio should STFU?

We're all so happy for you that your parents are footing the bill. Cool Vegas Vacation reference.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18409
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:59 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:Does anyone else think MrPapagiorgio should STFU?

We're all so happy for you that your parents are footing the bill. Cool Vegas Vacation reference.


No need to be bitter.

A lot of questions were directed towards him after his question (which was legitimate, imo, if a little bit showy).

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:01 pm

bk1 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:Does anyone else think MrPapagiorgio should STFU?

We're all so happy for you that your parents are footing the bill. Cool Vegas Vacation reference.


No need to be bitter.

A lot of questions were directed towards him after his question (which was legitimate, imo, if a little bit showy).


I guess I'm the only one who thinks that if you parents are paying for ALL of your professional schooling, you should either a) downplay it, or b) don't mention it at all.

clearly these are just my midwestern sensibilities.

User avatar
fastforward
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby fastforward » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:51 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote: Even if I had any questions in general, they would hold my desire for independence when visiting law schools against me. They are no strangers to grudges.


The key is to strike a balance. Have them both go on the trip and they can wander around together while you sit in on a class, meet with the adcomm, etc. Explain to them that adcomms have said they frown upon involving parents in campus visits. Ask them to respect this. Have them go out on their own special date night while you go on bar review with 1Ls. I've never once had a client not get invited out with a group during an individual visit. In fact, the ones who do individual visits seem to end up more informed than the ASW visitors due to this.

Then, involve the parents heavily in the housing search (at this point it's okay to be seen with them if you look at on-campus housing). This is where they have superior knowledge and they will be willing to pay more for a "safe" neighborhood. Be certain they understand how grateful you are to have parents willing and able to put you in this privileged position. Have a great time on the trip, bonding and taking your relationship with them to a more adult level.

Sound like a win/win?

mz253
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby mz253 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:lol at visiting a law school with your mommy.


my papa and mama live in another country.




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest