Visit law schools alone?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
TommyK

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby TommyK » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:56 pm

jaydizzle wrote:What if Momma's boy is top 10% and ends up with big law? What will you think of him then?

I will think that he was very good at studying in law school and preparing for exams. I would also think that three years ago he made a mistake bringing his mother with him to ASD.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:01 pm

TommyK wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:What if Momma's boy is top 10% and ends up with big law? What will you think of him then?

I will think that he was very good at studying in law school and preparing for exams. I would also think that three years ago he made a mistake bringing his mother with him to ASD.

Haha, this made me lol. Finally some humor around here. When you get a better job than me, I will remember you as the dumbass who had a 3.0 in undergrad. I won out though because I had a 4.0 in political science, and I didn't bring my parents on the tour. This is all important because in the legal profession it matters what people think of you. Make sure you tuck in your shirt during class too. It helps with law school exams.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:59 pm

Honestly, I think the most compelling argument in this thread is that it's difficult (or at least awkward) to socialize with current and prospective students when your parents are hanging around. Most people just aren't going to get the same level of interaction with their parents hovering over them as they would on their own. And personally, I don't think I could get a complete "feel" for a school if I'm not able to fully interact with my future peers/mentors/drinking buddies.

Edit: This applies to ASDs, not informal visits.

Edit 2: Sorry if I'm rambling, I'm a little buzzed. Nothin like grilling some steaks and having a few beers, and then coming home to argue on your super-cool Internet forum.
Last edited by beachbum on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:01 pm

jaydizzle wrote:I'm bringing my dad with me to visit a school and get a tour. I don't see the issue of bringing parents for a visit. I'm not going to an ASW event though. Why does anyone give a flying shit if a parent comes? I don't give a shit if someone looks down on me if I bring a parent along. I probably wouldn't bring a parent to an ASW event though. I can't believe some of you care how other people view you? Who cares. Live life the way you want to live it. Some kid in high school once laughed at me because he saw that the pair of jeans I was wearing was $20 at Costco. So fucking what. I then asked him why he lived in a shit hole, and if it was because his parents spent $100 on his jeans. I'm honestly quite surprised a lot of you care about stuff like this. Most of you are probably way smarter than I am.

I certainly don't give a flying shit. I plan on going to my Preview Days alone, but my parents will want to visit my final choice with me, which is fine. I only look negatively upon people with hover parents. Bring your parents to accepted students day fine, but if they hover over your shoulder and you can't socialize without your parents as an intermediary, that's a serious problem. I've seen cool parents who are just interested in their child's life, yet don't bother their socializing, and parents who hover. The latter-grow a pair and tell your parents to talk to some other parents and not hover over you.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:03 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
swampthang wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:Why does anyone give a flying shit if a parent comes? I don't give a shit if someone looks down on me if I bring a parent along.

Good, because I'm going to. Having a parent ask questions for you during an ASW event (as I observed at NYU) screams a level of immaturity and dependence that I would not expect from a professional grad student.

jaydizzle wrote:I can't believe some of you care how other people view you? Who cares. Live life the way you want to live it.

Good luck with that. Try that out and let me know how it goes.

jaydizzle wrote:Some kid in high school once laughed at me because he saw that the pair of jeans I was wearing was $20 at Costco. So fucking what. I then asked him why he lived in a shit hole, and if it was because his parents spent $100 on his jeans.

Irrelevant anecdote is irrelevant.

Irrelevant anecdote is irrelevant hah. Go for it. Who said anything about having my parent ask questions? I am going on a tour with my dad and scoping out some real estate. I don't giving a flying fuck if someone sees me with my dad walking around campus for 20 minutes. He won't be talking to any professors or sitting in on a class. He's a good friend, and his a great dad. He happened to live in the city many years ago. I guess he won't be useful then, huh? I stopped caring what people thought about me, and they happened to start wondering what I thought of them. If you knew how to read you would have actually noticed I mentioned nothing about an ASW or ASD. Your "irrelevant example" is irrelevant Mr. Smarty Pants. I will agree with you that it is annoying when parents ask a shit ton of questions. I would get annoyed temporarily, but I will ultimately let it go. I'm not going to hold it against someone. Maybe the person's parents are paying his tuition for him? Before judging others take a good look at yourself. Why does it matter what you think of that person or what he or she thinks of you? If the person is ranked #1 in the class and you are below median does it still matter then?

I've toured law schools with my parents, and I don't think that's embarrassing. I think preview days are partially designed for prospective students to socialize, which is hard with parents sometimes.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:03 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
What if Momma's boy is top 10% and ends up with big law? What will you think of him then?

Dude, I think I've already said my piece:

dresden doll wrote:I realize law school = high school in many ways, but fretting over whether anyone will look down upon you for bringing SO along is beyond inane - as is anyone that would judge you for it. With some reservations, I'd say the same goes for parents.

I merely take issues with the general 'live your life unencumbered by judgment' notion. The philosophy may not be bad in itself, but it doesn't exactly jive with the legal profession all that well.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:06 pm

dresden doll wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
What if Momma's boy is top 10% and ends up with big law? What will you think of him then?

Dude, I think I've already said my piece:

dresden doll wrote:I realize law school = high school in many ways, but fretting over whether anyone will look down upon you for bringing SO along is beyond inane - as is anyone that would judge you for it. With some reservations, I'd say the same goes for parents.

I merely take issues with the general 'live your life unencumbered by judgment' notion. The philosophy may not be bad in itself, but it doesn't exactly jive with the legal profession all that well.

Not to mention the fact that, unless you're independently wealthy, your career prospects and success, with variation depending on the field, will absolutely be affected by "what people think." Your income depends on it. That said, as long as you don't have an obnoxious personality/are overly eccentric, you should be fine.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:11 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
Not to mention the fact that, unless you're independently wealthy, your career prospects and success, with variation depending on the field, will absolutely be affected by "what people think." Your income depends on it. That said, as long as you don't have an obnoxious personality/are overly eccentric, you should be fine.

I find that in LS, even slight deviations get silently judged a great deal. Not that people won't be able to like you overall anyway, of course, but it's not an environment that encourages oddities in general.

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:12 pm

I toured three schools and I honestly felt so embarrassed with my travel mate, a freshman in college, coming along on my second tour that I politely implied that he entertain himself during my next tour. The first tour I took, I was good friends with the student giving the tour and when he told me who else was taking the tour, he said "one other guy and his girlfriend" with such derision that I asked him what the big deal was. His response was, "Is he picking a school or is she picking the school?"

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:14 pm

fltanglab wrote:I toured three schools and I honestly felt so embarrassed with my travel mate, a freshman in college, coming along on my second tour that I politely implied that he entertain himself during my next tour. The first tour I took, I was good friends with the student giving the tour and when he told me who else was taking the tour, he said "one other guy and his girlfriend" with such derision that I asked him what the big deal was. His response was, "Is he picking a school or is she picking the school?"

And what if GF is considering moving with him? He sounds like a dick who needs to mind his own business a bit better.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:15 pm

if its an informal visit- i.e you are not meeting with anyone from admissions and you want to walk around campus and see- then take your parents. If its an event designed for prospective students- then no. HOwever, they can walk aroudn the school and see the campus while you are doing your thing. Ive seen parents do this at a few student visit days- and it was fine. They met up with their child at the end. I also saw parents go through the entire thing with thier child. Not only was it difficult for the student ( they were tenative to talk to other students) but the parent was bored out of their mind during parts of it.

Bring them to visit when you make your final decision. If you are close to them- let them help you put your thoughts in order when making the decision- and if you want- let them read your pros and cons list and see what they think the best fit would be. however, utlize the time and resources available to you to make the most informed decision possible.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:25 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
TommyK wrote:

Haha, this made me lol. Finally some humor around here. When you get a better job than me, I will remember you as the dumbass who had a 3.0 in undergrad. I won out though because I had a 4.0 in political science, and I didn't bring my parents on the tour. This is all important because in the legal profession it matters what people think of you. Make sure you tuck in your shirt during class too. It helps with law school exams.

Huh? I'm not sure at all what you're trying to get at here.

HarveyBirdman

Postby HarveyBirdman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:13 am

Christ, I hadn't given this much thought before reading this thread. I mean...really? I was thinking of asking my dad or girlfriend to go with me to visit Pitt for some prospective applicant type tour and session, if one of their schedules allowed it, but shit I guess not. Didn't know it was such a big deal...though I see a valid point in not being able to socialize as well when someone is there with you. Guess I'll have 3 hours in the car to meditate both ways...

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:20 am

dresden doll wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:

I find that in LS, even slight deviations get silently judged a great deal. Not that people won't be able to like you overall anyway, of course, but it's not an environment that encourages oddities in general.

I was referring to general life experience, but that is very good to know. Law school always seemed like the type of place that attracted a very specific kind of stiff upper lip mentality, interesting to have that suspicion confirmed.

hscohen

Postby hscohen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:15 am

I flew across the country with my parents to visit a law school, as well as be shown around town by a family friend. My parents were not there for the class session I observed, nor my interview with the Assistant Dean of Admissions (for whom I had personally arranged to meet), but they were there for my tour and met me and introduced themselves to the Assistant Dean when we finished our interview. If anything having them along - given the "looking at possible housing arrangements and exploring the city" nature of the visit - helped me portray myself as a student who, yes, like many others is straight out of undergrad and still largely supported by my parents but who also thinks highly enough of the school to plan a cross-country trip to explore it as an option not only for himself but for his family as well. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with visiting a school with your parents... just make sure you talk to the reps alone at some point and make all visiting arrangements yourself.

bloobook

Postby bloobook » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:19 pm

Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dtown16

Postby dtown16 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:14 pm

Any advice on what the appropriate attire for a visit is?

dtown16

Postby dtown16 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:16 pm

Also, what about visiting with your older sibling who recently graduated from that particular law school?

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:56 pm

wear comfortable clothing. I wear jeans and a sweater or collard shirt.( im a guy)
make sure you have comforable shoes on.

You can bring your sibling, especially since they went to that school.

dtown16

Postby dtown16 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:02 pm

Is poppin on a blazer and slacks too much, or can over dressing hurt you?

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:16 pm

dtown16 wrote:Is poppin on a blazer and slacks too much, or can over dressing hurt you?

Over dressing can never hurt you. Ever*.

*Over dressing can hurt you in extremely high temperatures or when performing tasks that require a high degree of mobility or which have a high probability of soiling or tearing clothing. Always consult a doctor before over dressing in weather reaching temperatures over 110 degrees Fahrenheit.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:22 pm

I model my wardrobe after Michael C. Hall in Dexter. Can't go wrong with some J. Crew slacks and some tasteful fruity pastels.

Rooney

Postby Rooney » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:30 pm

YankeesFan wrote:I went to an ASD over the weekend and after the event and dinner I went out to a bar with some current students and 2 other prospective students. One of them brought his mom and she BROUGHT US DRINKS the whole night. If your parent(s) does this than by god, bring them everywhere and I will never judge you.

TITCR

uniquelycreated05

Postby uniquelycreated05 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:38 am

I wanted my mom to come with me to the Albany Law school open house, but now that I'm reading this, I don't know what to do :(

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:23 am

uniquelycreated05 wrote:I wanted my mom to come with me to the Albany Law school open house, but now that I'm reading this, I don't know what to do :(

its an open house. do what you want. take mom with you.

When you go to admitted student days, leave mom home. ALthough, to be fair, no one really remembers the admitted student days anyways

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”