Visit law schools alone?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
rman1201

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby rman1201 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:35 am

Sandro wrote:on the topic of parents - check out the FSU Acceptance thread, someones parents are posting on their behalf because of "privacy concerns" :shock:

Um.. About that...

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:49 am

rman1201 wrote:
Sandro wrote:on the topic of parents - check out the FSU Acceptance thread, someones parents are posting on their behalf because of "privacy concerns" :shock:

Um.. About that...

I was shocked. Nobody responded and everyone kind of brushed over it. I've seen a parent or two post on their own, but never a parent fronting for a student that has this weird privacy slant. Wont even say if its a son or daughter.

dorriedoodle

Postby dorriedoodle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:39 am

TommyK wrote:
mz253 wrote:Really not sure who can go with me since I will be flying across the country. Any of you guys have experiences visiting law schools alone? Will it be terrible? Do most people come with their parents or significant others?

bringing your significant other makes sense. If he/she is going to be living there, he/she should have an idea of the area and if he/she would be happy. But if you bring your sig other, I'd let them not attend the information sessions. My last open house, there were three couples cuddling through the financial aid session. w.t.f?

Bringing your parent is absolutely ridiculous. I silently judge people who bring their parents with them.

doesn't really seem so silent, no?

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:42 am

i dont care if you bring a significant other, or parent. i wont judge you. But please dont let them talk to you during the information sessions- or pass notes to each other. You are not in high school or undergrad- and while this is boring info- its actually important.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:44 pm

I think significant others and/or parents are aware of the importance of information sessions, particularly financial aid. Haven't seen any issues.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:40 pm

I realize law school = high school in many ways, but fretting over whether anyone will look down upon you for bringing SO along is beyond inane - as is anyone that would judge you for it. With some reservations, I'd say the same goes for parents.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:35 pm

I think bringing your SO is fine because they're a person you (presumably) live with, or at the very least someone for whom your decision has an impact on.

That said--parents? Come on. If your parents are proud of you/want to see where you'll be spending the next 3 years, then sure, take a tour with them on a *regular* day or something. Or just wander around the campus together. But Admitted Student Days are more than just you visiting the campus--you're visiting with other potential students. I'd only bring my parents on the condition that they occupied themselves and didn't sit next to me or interact with me while I spoke to other people. You're meeting your future classmates for Christ's sake. Financial aid info sessions-maybe. Dean's speech--sure. But social events, meet and greets? You *should* be embarrassed.

I'm not the type to openly mock or gossip about people who come with their parents. But it would make me wonder...

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:26 pm

Just went to the Tulane ASD today, and maybe 70% of people had parents with them. Most of the people though looked like they were 22-24, but still. Not that many people same to have gone alone. I came with a friend who wants to apply next year, so I thought she might like to get more info now since we're on spring break in New Orleans.. but I was shocked at the amount of parents.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:38 am

It's also just a social thing. I'm not really the judgmental type, but I'd like to be able to socialize with my potential Professional School classmates without their parents for god's sake!

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:06 pm

There were definitely people with parents at the Lewis & clark ASD yesterday, and quite a few with SO's. I'd say an equal # of each. (maybe 10% of people with each?) Nobody seemed to bat an eyelash at it. I didn't really see a lot of point to having an SO at that (there were no social events yesterday, it was mock class/info sessions) but I don't suppose it hurt anything. Parents asked questions during the curriculum and student panel sessions. I have no idea if their students were mortified, LOL, but regardless, they did ask questions.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:28 pm

I posted in another forum that I saw a sign welcoming admitted students and their families at an admitted students day at a T14 a few weeks ago. Some of these places require a good deal of travel to get there and maybe some applicants don't want to travel alone plus the cost of LS is such a financial committment that some want their parents opinions. I don't have a problem with what people decide to do. This isn't high school and frankly alot of the people at these accepted student days are't going to pick that school anyway.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:37 pm

Emma1 wrote:I posted in another forum that I saw a sign welcoming admitted students and their families at an admitted students day at a T14 a few weeks ago. Some of these places require a good deal of travel to get there and maybe some applicants don't want to travel alone plus the cost of LS is such a financial committment that some want their parents opinions. I don't have a problem with what people decide to do. This isn't high school and frankly alot of the people at these accepted student days are't going to pick that school anyway.

That sign was probably reffering to prospective students who have a wife/kids, not prospective students who are with their parents

Postby 5782 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:16 pm

dr123 wrote:
Emma1 wrote:I posted in another forum that I saw a sign welcoming admitted students and their families at an admitted students day at a T14 a few weeks ago. Some of these places require a good deal of travel to get there and maybe some applicants don't want to travel alone plus the cost of LS is such a financial committment that some want their parents opinions. I don't have a problem with what people decide to do. This isn't high school and frankly alot of the people at these accepted student days are't going to pick that school anyway.

That sign was probably reffering to prospective students who have a wife/kids, not prospective students who are with their parents

Or, uh, husbands?

Actually, I remember seeing a lot of parents at ASWs last year. Anybody who's so insecure that they freak out about being seen with their parents and/or judge others for being with parents has some serious growing up to do. I certainly don't remember or care who in particular brought their parents to ASW a year ago; I judge people when I get to know them and realize they can't make decisions without their parents' input (by law school, very few people fit into this category). That said, I do think it's good to show up at these events alone because it forces you to socialize with the people you're there to meet--current and prospective students. If you're only making one trip to the school and your parent or SO wants to go, bring them, but you'll have to make more of an effort to meet people if you want to make your trip really worthwhile. Best case scenario is probably travelling with another prospective student, if any friends were admitted to the same school.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:38 pm

I'm bringing my dad with me to visit a school and get a tour. I don't see the issue of bringing parents for a visit. I'm not going to an ASW event though. Why does anyone give a flying shit if a parent comes? I don't give a shit if someone looks down on me if I bring a parent along. I probably wouldn't bring a parent to an ASW event though. I can't believe some of you care how other people view you? Who cares. Live life the way you want to live it. Some kid in high school once laughed at me because he saw that the pair of jeans I was wearing was $20 at Costco. So fucking what. I then asked him why he lived in a shit hole, and if it was because his parents spent $100 on his jeans. I'm honestly quite surprised a lot of you care about stuff like this. Most of you are probably way smarter than I am.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:43 pm

I went to an ASD over the weekend and after the event and dinner I went out to a bar with some current students and 2 other prospective students. One of them brought his mom and she BROUGHT US DRINKS the whole night. If your parent(s) does this than by god, bring them everywhere and I will never judge you.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:24 pm

jaydizzle wrote:Why does anyone give a flying shit if a parent comes? I don't give a shit if someone looks down on me if I bring a parent along.

Good, because I'm going to. Having a parent ask questions for you during an ASW event (as I observed at NYU) screams a level of immaturity and dependence that I would not expect from a professional grad student.

jaydizzle wrote:I can't believe some of you care how other people view you? Who cares. Live life the way you want to live it.

Good luck with that. Try that out and let me know how it goes.

jaydizzle wrote:Some kid in high school once laughed at me because he saw that the pair of jeans I was wearing was $20 at Costco. So fucking what. I then asked him why he lived in a shit hole, and if it was because his parents spent $100 on his jeans.

Irrelevant anecdote is irrelevant.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:31 pm

5782 wrote:
dr123 wrote:

Or, uh, husbands?

Seriously.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:32 pm

dresden doll wrote:
5782 wrote:
dr123 wrote:

Or, uh, husbands?

Seriously.

i think they were included in "wife/kids"

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:34 pm

fatduck wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
5782 wrote:
Or, uh, husbands?

Seriously.

i think they were included in "wife/kids"

You really are a very good poster.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:34 pm

swampthang wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:Why does anyone give a flying shit if a parent comes? I don't give a shit if someone looks down on me if I bring a parent along.

Good, because I'm going to. Having a parent ask questions for you during an ASW event (as I observed at NYU) screams a level of immaturity and dependence that I would not expect from a professional grad student.

jaydizzle wrote:I can't believe some of you care how other people view you? Who cares. Live life the way you want to live it.

Good luck with that. Try that out and let me know how it goes.

jaydizzle wrote:Some kid in high school once laughed at me because he saw that the pair of jeans I was wearing was $20 at Costco. So fucking what. I then asked him why he lived in a shit hole, and if it was because his parents spent $100 on his jeans.

Irrelevant anecdote is irrelevant.

Irrelevant anecdote is irrelevant hah. Go for it. Who said anything about having my parent ask questions? I am going on a tour with my dad and scoping out some real estate. I don't giving a flying fuck if someone sees me with my dad walking around campus for 20 minutes. He won't be talking to any professors or sitting in on a class. He's a good friend, and his a great dad. He happened to live in the city many years ago. I guess he won't be useful then, huh? I stopped caring what people thought about me, and they happened to start wondering what I thought of them. If you knew how to read you would have actually noticed I mentioned nothing about an ASW or ASD. Your "irrelevant example" is irrelevant Mr. Smarty Pants. I will agree with you that it is annoying when parents ask a shit ton of questions. I would get annoyed temporarily, but I will ultimately let it go. I'm not going to hold it against someone. Maybe the person's parents are paying his tuition for him? Before judging others take a good look at yourself. Why does it matter what you think of that person or what he or she thinks of you? If the person is ranked #1 in the class and you are below median does it still matter then?

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:37 pm

In the legal profession, how you're perceived is exceedingly relevant. If you want to 'not care,' you're better off becoming a reality TV contestant.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:39 pm

dresden doll wrote:

In the legal profession, how you're perceived is exceedingly relevant. If you want to 'not care,' you're better off becoming a reality TV contestant.

he's not here to make friends

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:42 pm

fatduck wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

zOMG, ANTM? I don't want to watch the link right now since my boyfriend is studying in the same room.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:43 pm

dresden doll wrote:
fatduck wrote:
dresden doll wrote:

zOMG, ANTM? I don't want to watch the link right now since my boyfriend is studying in the same room.

it's a supercut, but it does draw heavily from ANTM

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:47 pm

dresden doll wrote:

I'm talking about parents and a visit to a school. I am not talking about the legal profession. Yes, your work and your demeanor will mean a lot for attracting clients and getting hired. You are not a lawyer when you visit a school. I'm not trying to be defensive. I am just trying to say it honestly doesn't matter to me what someone else does during a visit. I'm not going to judge them. Oh no, the guy brought his mother to visit the school. The same guy could do well for himself later or not. Some people just have crazy parents that need to come along and are probably paying for everything. I wish my parents would pay for my college and my law school. Maybe the person didn't even want their parent or parents to go? One of my friends had crazy helicopter parents that went with him to visit grad schools. They were just crazy and would not leave him alone. The guy is in Chicago now safely away from his parents and is doing really well for himself. It's not like he was incapable or retarded. His parents just had to go because they were helping with tuition. I honestly don't believe that because you think less of someone it will really matter to them unless they care about that sort of thing. Oh no, you won't be friends with me?

Edit: classic vid, heh

What if Momma's boy is top 10% and ends up with big law? What will you think of him then?

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”