Visit law schools alone?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
TommyK

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby TommyK » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:53 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:
It's not about being ashamed of your folks. It's about being an adult enough to not need parental supervision during the big decisions in your life.
There's a distinction between guidance and supervision. I take advice from my parents on various matters: I wouldn't call any of it "supervision." Nor would I assume the worst ("supervision" of their law school decision) about people I don't know who are with their parents on campus.

Okay, you win. You're a better person than me. You don't judge people. I do.

Doesn't make you look less silly for having your parents tag along during an ASD tour, though.
Last edited by TommyK on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curry

Postby Curry » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:
TommyK wrote:
mz253 wrote:Really not sure who can go with me since I will be flying across the country. Any of you guys have experiences visiting law schools alone? Will it be terrible? Do most people come with their parents or significant others?

bringing your significant other makes sense. If he/she is going to be living there, he/she should have an idea of the area and if he/she would be happy. But if you bring your sig other, I'd let them not attend the information sessions. My last open house, there were three couples cuddling through the financial aid session. w.t.f?

Bringing your parent is absolutely ridiculous. I silently judge people who bring their parents with them.

My folks live on the east coast, and I didn't before I moved there for law school. I visited them, and we drove down together to check out the campus.

oh noez.

i think it's more immature to be ashamed of your parents / judge people who do things with their parents.

Not being able to function as an adult without the help of your parents is a sign of immaturity.

To be honest, I think you might be slightly overreacting. That being said, to each his own.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:57 pm

TommyK wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:
It's not about being ashamed of your folks. It's about being an adult enough to not need parental supervision during the big decisions in your life.
There's a distinction between guidance and supervision. I take advice from my parents on various matters: I wouldn't call any of it "supervision." Nor would I assume the worst ("supervision" of their law school decision) about people I don't know who are with their parents on campus.

Okay, you win. You're a better person than me.
i didn't say that - Im just saying that's how I approach life.

You don't judge people. I do. Doesn't make you look less silly for having your parents tag along during an ASD tour, though.
*shrug* so be it. Other's misconceptions are no business of mine.

It's also worth noting neither I nor the OP said this was for ASD or ASW.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:00 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote: *shrug* so be it. Other's misconceptions are no business of mine.

LOL if you think other people's opinion of you doesn't matter.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote: *shrug* so be it. Other's misconceptions are no business of mine.

You can't (or at least shouldn't) do anything about other people judging you for something you feel is perfectly acceptable.

Besides, in this particular instance, any person silly enough to judge me for wandering the campus grounds with my parents in tow really hasn't had an effect on my reputation or job opportunities. I have a very solid network at my school and, to a lesser extent, the local legal market.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:20 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

You can't (or at least shouldn't) do anything about other people judging you for something you feel is perfectly acceptable.

Besides, in this particular instance, any person silly enough to judge me for wandering the campus grounds with my parents in tow really hasn't had an effect on my reputation or job opportunities. I have a very solid network at my school and, to a lesser extent, the local legal market.

Yeah, you're right. OP and you did not mention ASD or ASW explicitly. But OP did mention flying across the country and I'm trying to imagine a situation in which you would fly across the country specifically to visit a law school without having gotten accepted yet. I suppose it's possible that OP is independently wealthy and likes jetting across the US to visit different law buildings to see if he should invest his $12 in a reporting fee from the LSAC. I thought it was significantly more likely that it was a ASW/ASD and structured most of replies in this context (who knows - this was so long ago and keeps being revived).

For what it's worth, my beliefs do not differ significantly to open houses from ASW/ASD protocol.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:22 pm

TommyK wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Yeah, you're right. OP and you did not mention ASD or ASW explicitly. But OP did mention flying across the country and I'm trying to imagine a situation in which you would fly across the country specifically to visit a law school without having gotten accepted yet. I suppose it's possible that OP is independently wealthy and likes jetting across the US to visit different law buildings to see if he should invest his $12 in a reporting fee from the LSAC. I thought it was significantly more likely that it was a ASW/ASD and structured most of replies in this context (who knows - this was so long ago and keeps being revived).
There's a third option you've failed to imagine - visiting a school you've been accepted to but not attending an ASW/ASD, or even an open house.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:26 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:
There's a third option you've failed to imagine - visiting a school you've been accepted to but not attending an ASW/ASD, or even an open house.

jeebus, that's as bad as taking your folks to ASW/ASD. But whatever floats your boat. I'm with DF on this, and probably will always be. I think it looks ridiculous.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:29 pm

TommyK wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:

jeebus, that's as bad as taking your folks to ASW/ASD.
Is it? even from the perspective of a non-judgmental person I think it's pretty different scenarios.

But whatever floats your boat. I'm with DF on this, and probably will always be. I think it looks ridiculous.
To each their own.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:41 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:Is it? even from the perspective of a non-judgmental person I think it's pretty different scenarios.

But whatever floats your boat. I'm with DF on this, and probably will always be. I think it looks ridiculous.
To each their own.

Different scenarios, but not different in the way that it would be less weird.

Allow me to give an example. I can't attend an upcoming ASW so I am visiting a school as a one-off shortly. The schedule goes like this:

9:00: Pick-up at The Hotel
9:15: Meet with Director of Admissions
10:00: Meet with Associate Dean and Professor of Law
10:45: Constitutional Law Class
12:00: Lunch with Current Students in the Law School Café
1:00: Tour of the Law School with Law School Ambassador
1:30: Meet with Assistant Dean for Career Services
2:00: Meet with Legal Writing Lecturer and Director of Legal Writing Program
2:30: Meet with Professor of Law
3:00: Driving Tour of the University and city

Now, I'm imaginging this two different ways - one by myself and one with my folks. I don't know - maybe that doesn't seem weird to you, but it does to me. It's a gut reaction.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:47 pm

That would be terribly awkward. But, then, that's not necessarily the only way to visit campus outside an ASW/ASD, is it?

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:51 pm

i would go to asw asd alone to get a good vibe for how you feel about the campus. Take the parents or so if you havent fallen madly in love with a school and you need some outside opinions- but not for those days. You can visit any other day- just give them a heads up first. Use their opinions to help you, but only as a " soft" factor ( to make an analogy- your ranking and your thoughts about the school and prospects are like the lsat and gpa- most heavily weighed- everyone elses thoughts are your soft factors- be as holistic as you'd like). In the end its your life, no one elses. do what you think is best.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Why has this reached 7 pages?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:56 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:That would be terribly awkward. But, then, that's not necessarily the only way to visit campus outside an ASW/ASD, is it?

I suppose. I haven't done a choose-your-own-adventure style law school visit, though. I figure that I would get more value by having the admissions department help create an itinerary so I can meet administrators, faculty members, and students. And certainly if I am going to fly across the country, I will want as robust of a trip as I can get. I guess I can accept the idea that a universe exists in which a non-awkward trip with your parents can happen that is still valuable; I just can't think of one. Regardless, I think OP's original question has been thoroughly answered - will it be okay if I don't bring anybody to a law school trip? Yes, you will be fine. I think we can all agree about that. I hope this thread can die.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:00 pm

bk1 wrote:Why has this reached 7 pages?

I have the same question! This thread should win the award of most pathetic/popular thread on tls.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:00 pm

bk1 wrote:Why has this reached 7 pages?

Combination of necro-posting and people like me unable to shut up, feeling the urge to defend everything they say against mischaracterizations/misunderstandings/those with different value systems. Here's hoping it will end soon.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:09 pm

Legitimate question: What about visiting with a friend? I don't own a car and the schools near me would be much better to drive to. I don't want to rent a car, and I have some friends who would be down for a road trip (I wouldn't be bringing a bunch, just 1, maybe 2).

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:40 pm

This thread never dies.

W&L has specific programming (half-day) at their ASW for the significant other or parent before the two groups are joined together. UVA has a "Parents and Partners" session/panel at their ASW, but asks that guests not attend other events. (I haven't looked at other ASW schedules because I will be attending those alone) If law schools expect some people to bring their significant other and/or parents, I don't see why anyone on TLS makes it an issue.

daly4889

Postby daly4889 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:00 pm

i'm gonna bring my grandma

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:17 pm

fatduck wrote:
arism87 wrote:
fatduck wrote:my dad lives in the city where my ASW will be so i guess i'm "bringing" him. i doubt he'll come to the official events but my dad's kind of a bro so i'm sure he'll want to take everyone out for drinks.

Hey, if free drinks are involved, no one judges.

agreed

plus i'm in my late 20's and am no longer insecure about being seen with my parents

probably helps that my parents are cool

This +1,000. I don't care if I'm seen with my mom, if I hadn't read this thread I wouldn't have even considered that people would think me immature. I just think she'd enjoy seeing the law school. But then I didn't ask her advice when selecting my undergrad when I was 18 so I wouldn't be asking her advice about this.

To be frank, I think a little less about the maturity of the students who would think less of someone who had their parents with them.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:37 am

Hey-O wrote:
fatduck wrote:
arism87 wrote:
fatduck wrote:my dad lives in the city where my ASW will be so i guess i'm "bringing" him. i doubt he'll come to the official events but my dad's kind of a bro so i'm sure he'll want to take everyone out for drinks.

Hey, if free drinks are involved, no one judges.

agreed

plus i'm in my late 20's and am no longer insecure about being seen with my parents

probably helps that my parents are cool

This +1,000. I don't care if I'm seen with my mom, if I hadn't read this thread I wouldn't have even considered that people would think me immature. I just think she'd enjoy seeing the law school. But then I didn't ask her advice when selecting my undergrad when I was 18 so I wouldn't be asking her advice about this.

To be frank, I think a little less about the maturity of the students who would think less of someone who had their parents with them.
Yup. I got over the feeling-embarassed-of-your-parents thing in high school.

HopelesslyOptimistic

Postby HopelesslyOptimistic » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:19 pm

We are adults, who the hell cares if your parent goes with you to check out schools, especially if you value their opinion. As long as your parent is quiet and observant, and not asking a bunch of questions and acting like "your mommy," then I don't see the problem. Personally, I'm gonna be the first in my family and extended family to go to law school, and was the first to graduate college, so my parents are excited for me and wanna see where I'm going. So I plan on showing them around my school, whichever one I choose, eventually.

CrimLaw300

Postby CrimLaw300 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Went to Baylor last friday for an open house and nearly everyone brought their parents.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:39 pm

i think open houses are fine to bring hte parents, but admitted student day would be better off without them.

you can still travel with them of course, but go to the admitted students events alone.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:41 pm

I plan on bringing someone else's mother to an admitted students event. :wink:

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”