Visit law schools alone?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
northwood

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby northwood » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:39 pm

does one cancel a planned asd via email, or phone call? I have cut one of my schools from my final four, and no longer will be attending the day

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:40 pm

northwood wrote:does one cancel a planned asd via email, or phone call? I have cut one of my schools from my final four, and no longer will be attending the day

Prob doesn't matter, email should be fine.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:41 pm

biggidy biggidy.. thanks

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:42 pm

bk1 wrote:
beachbum wrote:Sort of, yeah, but my point is that these situations are common enough to merit a discussion of bringing guests on school visits. The groups of schools I mentioned are generally looking at the same applicant pool, and applicants to those schools are likely to receive similar scholarship offers. In situations like these, it could certainly be a good idea to bring parents (or other guests) to scope out the places with you.

It might also be wise for splitters to bring guests on school visits before determining which school (i.e. MVPDN) to ED to.

I actually think that one's parents are more likely to blind them to their actual preference for a given school/location.

Eh, it really depends on your parents. I brought my mom (ha ha, I know) on informal tours of USC and UCLA, and she was very helpful. It helps if they understand that you've done the research (and you know what you're talking about), and that their best contribution is in looking for the smaller details regarding the campus, city, environment, etc.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:44 pm

beachbum wrote:Eh, it really depends on your parents. I brought my mom (ha ha, I know) on informal tours of USC and UCLA, and she was very helpful. It helps if they understand that you've done the research (and you know what you're talking about), and that their best contribution is in looking for the smaller details regarding the campus, city, environment, etc.

This is fair. My guess would be that, on average, parents are unhelpful in this regard but it's not like I've aggregated any data on it. I feel that they are likely to let their own preferences drive their feelings rather and that could possibly sidetrack on'es own preferences.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:54 pm

If you really want to bring you're parents hell go for it, I wouldn't look down on anyone for doing so. I just find it kind of inconsiderate towards them, my parents live on the otherside of the country and are very busy people both of them work 40+ hours a week, I feel asking them to take time out of their schedule to fly thousands of miles away to spend their time on something they know nothing about and aren't even particularly interested in is kind of rude

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:27 pm

dr123 wrote:If you really want to bring you're parents hell go for it, I wouldn't look down on anyone for doing so. I just find it kind of inconsiderate towards them, my parents live on the otherside of the country and are very busy people both of them work 40+ hours a week, I feel asking them to take time out of their schedule to fly thousands of miles away to spend their time on something they know nothing about and aren't even particularly interested in is kind of rude

i think most people in this thread were talking about "what do i do if my parents want to come to visit", not demanding that their parents accompany them

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:34 am

bk1 wrote:
beachbum wrote:Eh, it really depends on your parents. I brought my mom (ha ha, I know) on informal tours of USC and UCLA, and she was very helpful. It helps if they understand that you've done the research (and you know what you're talking about), and that their best contribution is in looking for the smaller details regarding the campus, city, environment, etc.

This is fair. My guess would be that, on average, parents are unhelpful in this regard but it's not like I've aggregated any data on it. I feel that they are likely to let their own preferences drive their feelings rather and that could possibly sidetrack on'es own preferences.

I like both of these responses and feel they are the best answers for both sides of the argument. I maintain my stance that I myself would not bring along my mother or father on anything besides an informal tour but would not judge anyone should I see them doing so.

jayman6

Postby jayman6 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:10 pm

My dad is traveling out to Denver with me for ASD at DU, but he's not attending the event. I just wanted someone to accompany me on the 11 hour drive and he hasn't been to Denver in awhile and just wants to go along. I don't see any problem with something like that. I don't know anyone else who is considering Denver so it will be nice to have someone along to split driving time.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:24 pm

I went on a law school tour where the only other prospective was this guy whose parents had come along. His mother talked to me quite a bit. Far more than he did. Lots of stories about her son, like he wasn't even there with us. She grilled the tour guide with awkward questions too, like whether he had a job lined up. I think it was pretty uncomfortable for everyone present except her.

I suppose it could depend on your parents, but I'd try to talk my parents out of coming if they were interested in joining me.

deltasigbn

Postby deltasigbn » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:58 pm

Last edited by deltasigbn on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:05 pm

deltasigbn wrote:lol @ people who judge others for bringing a parent along.

What's wrong with having another pair of eyes to help make your decision easier especially if they will be helping you financially?

Have you ever been to an ASD/ASW?

Also, nice necro-posting.

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:22 pm

So it isn't frowned upon to bring a girlfriend with you on visits?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:24 pm

rocon7383 wrote:So it isn't frowned upon to bring a girlfriend with you on visits?

Just don't bring her to an admitted students day/weekend.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:27 pm

admitted student day is for students. You can go on a viisit with whoever you want any time other than admitted student day

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:51 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:So it isn't frowned upon to bring a girlfriend with you on visits?

The real question is, how do I bring her on the trip but not let her come to the actual admitted students event?

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:54 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

The real question is, how do I bring her on the trip but not let her come to the actual admitted students event?

hahah i was wondering the same thing.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:28 am

rocon7383 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

hahah i was wondering the same thing.

let her sleep in, have her drive around and scope out the area, maybe scope out some apartments. She won't be interested in a lot of the stuff you have to go through anyways. Make it seem like you're not preventing her from coming, but instead that it's a division of labor thing - you're going to do the boring law school stuff and she is going to get a head-start on the apartment and town stuff. I would think bringing her to the bar that you inevitably will go to with the rest of the prospectives would be fine.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:25 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

Leave her at the hotel. Bring her to social events, and the school might even have programming for spouses, and girl/boy/friends.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:33 pm

TommyK wrote:
mz253 wrote:Really not sure who can go with me since I will be flying across the country. Any of you guys have experiences visiting law schools alone? Will it be terrible? Do most people come with their parents or significant others?

bringing your significant other makes sense. If he/she is going to be living there, he/she should have an idea of the area and if he/she would be happy. But if you bring your sig other, I'd let them not attend the information sessions. My last open house, there were three couples cuddling through the financial aid session. w.t.f?

Bringing your parent is absolutely ridiculous. I silently judge people who bring their parents with them.

My folks live on the east coast, and I didn't before I moved there for law school. I visited them, and we drove down together to check out the campus.

oh noez.

i think it's more immature to be ashamed of your parents / judge people who do things with their parents.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:36 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:
TommyK wrote:
mz253 wrote:Really not sure who can go with me since I will be flying across the country. Any of you guys have experiences visiting law schools alone? Will it be terrible? Do most people come with their parents or significant others?

bringing your significant other makes sense. If he/she is going to be living there, he/she should have an idea of the area and if he/she would be happy. But if you bring your sig other, I'd let them not attend the information sessions. My last open house, there were three couples cuddling through the financial aid session. w.t.f?

Bringing your parent is absolutely ridiculous. I silently judge people who bring their parents with them.

My folks live on the east coast, and I didn't before I moved there for law school. I visited them, and we drove down together to check out the campus.

oh noez.

i think it's more immature to be ashamed of your parents / judge people who do things with their parents.

Not being able to function as an adult without the help of your parents is a sign of immaturity.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:41 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:
TommyK wrote:

oh noez.

Not being able to function as an adult without the help of your parents is a sign of immaturity.

I agree - but that's unrelated to my original post.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:44 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:
TommyK wrote:

oh noez.

Not ashamed of my parents. I love my folks. They're good people.

Here is an abridged list of things that I do without my parents guidance/supervision, despite my affection for them
buying my own clothes
cooking my own meals
interviewing for jobs
choosing a law school
dressing myself

It's not about being ashamed of your folks. It's about being an adult enough to not need parental supervision during the big decisions in your life.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:46 pm

Assuming you have applied but not yet been accepted, is it even worth traveling across the country to visit? Do law schools prefer the applicants that have personally visited?

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:50 pm

TommyK wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:
TommyK wrote:

oh noez.

Not ashamed of my parents. I love my folks. They're good people.

Here is an abridged list of things that I do without my parents guidance/supervision, despite my affection for them
buying my own clothes
cooking my own meals
interviewing for jobs
choosing a law school
dressing myself

It's not about being ashamed of your folks. It's about being an adult enough to not need parental supervision during the big decisions in your life.
There's a distinction between guidance and supervision. I take advice from my parents on various matters: I wouldn't call any of it "supervision." Nor would I assume the worst ("supervision" of their law school decision) about people I don't know who are with their parents on campus.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”