Visit law schools alone?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby dr123 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:52 pm

Dude bringing your mom is crucial when visitin a school, whose hand are you going to hold when you get scared on the tour if you dont bring your mom

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby northwood » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:34 pm

whose going to do your laundry, pick out your clothes, and make sure you eat a healthy balanced breakfast?

User avatar
Jack Smirks
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby Jack Smirks » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:36 pm

arism87 wrote:Last time my mom visited me somewhere, she ended up having a chugging contest with some bros, failing miserably at pong, and disappearing to get high. I ended up making her hot tea while she puked all night.

I'm just sayin, mind the line.. lol

lolz.

rubaiyatsongs
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby rubaiyatsongs » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:14 pm

Hah, I didn't even realize bringing your parents was a topic for debate until I read this thread. I see my parents like twice a year, so I just thought it'd be fun to bring them to out-of-state tours... like vacation! Oh, us silly poor people. I guess if I wasn't getting made fun of for having a loving family then it would probably be something else. I'd heard law school was a lot like high school -from this thread, that seems about right.

As for the original post - don't worry about being alone. Being alone at these sorts of things is awesome - total freedom, plenty of people who want to talk to strangers, etc. You'll almost definitely meet someone else alone and compare notes, make friends and have a good time.

bball25
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:58 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby bball25 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:29 pm

I think the only people who are embarrassed to be seen with their parents are all 16 years old. This is a huge decision I think brining your parents as an extra pair of eyes and ears would be an excellent thing for an informal visit. If bringing your parents really hurts your image you've got a lot bigger issues than that.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:35 pm

bball25 wrote:I think the only people who are embarrassed to be seen with their parents are all 16 years old. This is a huge decision I think brining your parents as an extra pair of eyes and ears would be an excellent thing for an informal visit. If bringing your parents really hurts your image you've got a lot bigger issues than that.


I imagine you are the sort of person who brings their mom to interviews.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby dr123 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:40 pm

bball25 wrote:I think the only people who are embarrassed to be seen with their parents are all 16 years old. This is a huge decision I think brining your parents as an extra pair of eyes and ears would be an excellent thing for an informal visit. If bringing your parents really hurts your image you've got a lot bigger issues than that.


most parents don't have any sort of informed opinion on law schools, why would their opinion matter at all?

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby dr123 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:44 pm

Also I see my parents time as valuable I wouldn't want them wasting it by taking time off of work to go to something that doesn't pertain to them and they're completely uninformed on

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:32 am

dr123 wrote:
bball25 wrote:I think the only people who are embarrassed to be seen with their parents are all 16 years old. This is a huge decision I think brining your parents as an extra pair of eyes and ears would be an excellent thing for an informal visit. If bringing your parents really hurts your image you've got a lot bigger issues than that.


most parents don't have any sort of informed opinion on law schools, why would their opinion matter at all?


Im with bball on this. My mom may not know too much about the law school application process, but she does know about other pertinent matters, like the neighborhood, the feel of the place, etc. I consult her on many things, and I value her opinion on where I go to school. Ultimately, I will make that decision for myself, but its good to bounce ideas off of someone else. So when I tell her that I really liked the library or the neighborhood was kind of sketchy, she knows exactly what Im talking about. And then again, some parents are just curious and want to see the place for themselves.

Besides, I think anyone who scoffs at someone who brings their parents to an informal visit is pretty childish. Not saying thats you, but you know what I mean.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:01 am

I encourage anyone with a hot mom to bring her along on law school visits, especially if I'm also going to be there.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby Sandro » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:08 pm

for ASD/ASW/Guided Tours - No parents or GF. Absolutely not.

For informal visits aimlessly walking around campus - who really cares ? Nobody. I've handled my entire UG/Law school application/selection process by myself and plan to finalize my school on my own, if my mom wants to visit one school with me NBD. Unless you were raised by wolves you owe something to your parent(s) who raised you and if it means appeasing them showing them around a school you got into, I would say you are very strange if that bothers you. +parents coming with you usually means they will pay for atleast something, which is always good.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:31 pm

I'm pretty shocked at the amount of people criticizing bringing parents ITT. I think it would be a little off to bring your parents to ASD or ASW. But if you are making a final decision on the school, how could their input not help? You all can posture and feel big about doing it on your own, but I prefer to have as much information as possible when making a decision, and my parents, who are far wiser and experienced than I am, could absolutely help in noticing things that I would otherwise not pick up on.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:33 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:I'm pretty shocked at the amount of people criticizing bringing parents ITT. I think it would be a little off to bring your parents to ASD or ASW. But if you are making a final decision on the school, how could their input not help? You all can posture and feel big about doing it on your own, but I prefer to have as much information as possible when making a decision, and my parents, who are far wiser and experienced than I am, could absolutely help in noticing things that I would otherwise not pick up on.


Because your parents don't know anything about law school.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:I'm pretty shocked at the amount of people criticizing bringing parents ITT. I think it would be a little off to bring your parents to ASD or ASW. But if you are making a final decision on the school, how could their input not help? You all can posture and feel big about doing it on your own, but I prefer to have as much information as possible when making a decision, and my parents, who are far wiser and experienced than I am, could absolutely help in noticing things that I would otherwise not pick up on.


Because your parents don't know anything about law school.


I respect and value their experience and perception. Just about everything I need to know about a law school I can find out online or e-mail an adcomm or professor. My main consultants throughout the law school application process have been my advisors and TLS. I visit the school for an experience, to get a feel for the general area, transportation, housing options, etc. I appreciate an outsider's view that I trust. I want my parents input. I trust myself to know which of it is pertinent and applicable.

In case I wasn't clear, I think it would be a bit off to bring them to official school sanctioned events. But for an informal visit of the school and town? I have zero issue with it, nor would I judge anyone trying to take in as much information as possible before making a decision.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:55 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Im with bball on this. My mom may not know too much about the law school application process, but she does know about other pertinent matters, like the neighborhood, the feel of the place, etc. I consult her on many things, and I value her opinion on where I go to school. Ultimately, I will make that decision for myself, but its good to bounce ideas off of someone else. So when I tell her that I really liked the library or the neighborhood was kind of sketchy, she knows exactly what Im talking about. And then again, some parents are just curious and want to see the place for themselves.


These sorts of things are only pertinent when placement power, CoA, and location are all equal. Those three are rarely equal.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby beachbum » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:01 pm

bk1 wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:Im with bball on this. My mom may not know too much about the law school application process, but she does know about other pertinent matters, like the neighborhood, the feel of the place, etc. I consult her on many things, and I value her opinion on where I go to school. Ultimately, I will make that decision for myself, but its good to bounce ideas off of someone else. So when I tell her that I really liked the library or the neighborhood was kind of sketchy, she knows exactly what Im talking about. And then again, some parents are just curious and want to see the place for themselves.


These sorts of things are only pertinent when placement power, CoA, and location are all equal. Those three are rarely equal.


Nah, I definitely think it would be worthwhile to bring parents (or SO, or someone) to peer schools if you're having a hard time making a decision. It can help to have additional input, or another perspective to catch things you may have missed or not considered. Keep the guests away from ASW; but if we're talking about an informal visit, I don't see anything wrong with it.

(I.e. when deciding between USC/UCLA or MVPDN or Vandy/Texas)

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby BlakcMajikc » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:07 pm

bk1 wrote:These sorts of things are only pertinent when placement power, CoA, and location are all equal. Those three are rarely equal.


And that response was a jolting reminder that this is TLS... I think picking a law school (after receiving an offer of admission) is an art, not a science.

beachbum wrote:(I.e. when deciding between USC/UCLA or MVPDN or Vandy/Texas)

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11755
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby ilovesf » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:10 pm

I don't get why this is such a big deal. If you want to bring them, then do it, if you don't want to bring them, then don't. The ASWs I'm attending are in March and April.. I seriously doubt I'll remember the dude who brought his mom when school starts in August.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:14 pm

beachbum wrote:
bk1 wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:Im with bball on this. My mom may not know too much about the law school application process, but she does know about other pertinent matters, like the neighborhood, the feel of the place, etc. I consult her on many things, and I value her opinion on where I go to school. Ultimately, I will make that decision for myself, but its good to bounce ideas off of someone else. So when I tell her that I really liked the library or the neighborhood was kind of sketchy, she knows exactly what Im talking about. And then again, some parents are just curious and want to see the place for themselves.


These sorts of things are only pertinent when placement power, CoA, and location are all equal. Those three are rarely equal.


Nah, I definitely think it would be worthwhile to bring parents (or SO, or someone) to peer schools if you're having a hard time making a decision. It can help to have additional input, or another perspective to catch things you may have missed or not considered. Keep the guests away from ASW; but if we're talking about an informal visit, I don't see anything wrong with it.

(I.e. when deciding between USC/UCLA or MVPDN or Vandy/Texas)


You kind of echoed what I said about those things being equal?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:18 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
bk1 wrote:These sorts of things are only pertinent when placement power, CoA, and location are all equal. Those three are rarely equal.


And that response was a jolting reminder that this is TLS... I think picking a law school (after receiving an offer of admission) is an art, not a science.


This is a professional school where many people are paying 6 figures if not close to a quarter million dollars to attend. I think being scientific about it, at least insofar as is possible, makes a whole lot of sense as opposed to getting a feel for it.

As I said though, certain schools are peers and if you are deciding between Michigan or Virginia at sticker for NYC then yes, go where you feel like going. However, these situations are rarer than people on here like to think.

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby BlakcMajikc » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:30 pm

bk1 wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:
bk1 wrote:These sorts of things are only pertinent when placement power, CoA, and location are all equal. Those three are rarely equal.


And that response was a jolting reminder that this is TLS... I think picking a law school (after receiving an offer of admission) is an art, not a science.


This is a professional school where many people are paying 6 figures if not close to a quarter million dollars to attend. I think being scientific about it, at least insofar as is possible, makes a whole lot of sense as opposed to getting a feel for it.

As I said though, certain schools are peers and if you are deciding between Michigan or Virginia at sticker for NYC then yes, go where you feel like going. However, these situations are rarer than people on here like to think.



Debating nuances, we mostly agree. And if you are making a decision to invest 6 figures to a quarter mill wouldn't you want all information available to make your decision.... I would (even though my investment will hopefully be zero minus opportunity costs) which is why my mom will serve as another set of eyes.

For the people on TLS, those situations (choosing between peer schools) aren't rare.

ilovesf wrote:I don't get why this is such a big deal. If you want to bring them, then do it, if you don't want to bring them, then don't. The ASWs I'm attending are in March and April.. I seriously doubt I'll remember the dude who brought his mom when school starts in August.


Agreed it's not that big of a deal (like a handful of minor issues that TLSers disagree on), but because TLS is such a wealth of information, I don't want someone using this site as a resource to think that its a cut and dry hellz nah on bringing parents.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:41 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:Debating nuances, we mostly agree. And if you are making a decision to invest 6 figures to a quarter mill wouldn't you want all information available to make your decision.... I would (even though my investment will hopefully be zero minus opportunity costs) which is why my mom will serve as another set of eyes.


I would expect most people's mothers would be giving them advice that is tangential at best and wrong at worst. I have discussed law school with my parents and every conversation ends with "you have done research and have knowledge that we don't, we have nothing to add and trust you to make a decision for yourself."

BlakcMajikc wrote:For the people on TLS, those situations (choosing between peer schools) aren't rare.


It would be rare if people were honest to themselves. The reason it doesn't seem rare is because of a lot of things like people making threads before scholarship info is handed out, people saying they are location agnostic when it isn't really true, people never having visited certain places yet claiming they really really really want to work there, people posting about hypothetical acceptances and scholarship offers, etc.

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby BlakcMajikc » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:50 pm

bk1 wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:Debating nuances, we mostly agree. And if you are making a decision to invest 6 figures to a quarter mill wouldn't you want all information available to make your decision.... I would (even though my investment will hopefully be zero minus opportunity costs) which is why my mom will serve as another set of eyes.


I would expect most people's mothers would be giving them advice that is tangential at best and wrong at worst. I have discussed law school with my parents and every conversation ends with "you have done research and have knowledge that we don't, we have nothing to add and trust you to make a decision for yourself."

BlakcMajikc wrote:For the people on TLS, those situations (choosing between peer schools) aren't rare.


It would be rare if people were honest to themselves. The reason it doesn't seem rare is because of a lot of things like people making threads before scholarship info is handed out, people saying they are location agnostic when it isn't really true, people never having visited certain places yet claiming they really really really want to work there, people posting about hypothetical acceptances and scholarship offers, etc.


Lol. True. While I have been completely honest and heavily pessimisitic about all things law school, this is an internet forum and you're right about that.

And I was thinking another set of eyes to help more in terms of CoL, feel for the school, and the like. My parents (and significant other) have been great so far in helping me with networking, and they have done their fair share of research to get more educated on the subject.

I am "forumed out" on this subject... I have to find my mom a train ticket to UVA ;)

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby beachbum » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:55 pm

bk1 wrote:
beachbum wrote:
bk1 wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:Im with bball on this. My mom may not know too much about the law school application process, but she does know about other pertinent matters, like the neighborhood, the feel of the place, etc. I consult her on many things, and I value her opinion on where I go to school. Ultimately, I will make that decision for myself, but its good to bounce ideas off of someone else. So when I tell her that I really liked the library or the neighborhood was kind of sketchy, she knows exactly what Im talking about. And then again, some parents are just curious and want to see the place for themselves.


These sorts of things are only pertinent when placement power, CoA, and location are all equal. Those three are rarely equal.


Nah, I definitely think it would be worthwhile to bring parents (or SO, or someone) to peer schools if you're having a hard time making a decision. It can help to have additional input, or another perspective to catch things you may have missed or not considered. Keep the guests away from ASW; but if we're talking about an informal visit, I don't see anything wrong with it.

(I.e. when deciding between USC/UCLA or MVPDN or Vandy/Texas)


You kind of echoed what I said about those things being equal?


Sort of, yeah, but my point is that these situations are common enough to merit a discussion of bringing guests on school visits. The groups of schools I mentioned are generally looking at the same applicant pool, and applicants to those schools are likely to receive similar scholarship offers. In situations like these, it could certainly be a good idea to bring parents (or other guests) to scope out the places with you.

It might also be wise for splitters to bring guests on school visits before determining which school (i.e. MVPDN) to ED to.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18418
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:37 pm

beachbum wrote:Sort of, yeah, but my point is that these situations are common enough to merit a discussion of bringing guests on school visits. The groups of schools I mentioned are generally looking at the same applicant pool, and applicants to those schools are likely to receive similar scholarship offers. In situations like these, it could certainly be a good idea to bring parents (or other guests) to scope out the places with you.

It might also be wise for splitters to bring guests on school visits before determining which school (i.e. MVPDN) to ED to.


I actually think that one's parents are more likely to blind them to their actual preference for a given school/location.




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests