Visit law schools alone? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
mz253

Bronze

Visit law schools alone?

Post by mz253 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:26 pm

Really not sure who can go with me since I will be flying across the country. Any of you guys have experiences visiting law schools alone? Will it be terrible? Do most people come with their parents or significant others?

Diamond

Re: Visit law schools alone?

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:28 pm

lol at visiting a law school with your mommy.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:28 pm

mz253 wrote:Really not sure who can go with me since I will be flying across the country. Any of you guys have experiences visiting law schools alone? Will it be terrible? Do most people come with their parents or significant others?
bringing your significant other makes sense. If he/she is going to be living there, he/she should have an idea of the area and if he/she would be happy. But if you bring your sig other, I'd let them not attend the information sessions. My last open house, there were three couples cuddling through the financial aid session. w.t.f?

Bringing your parent is absolutely ridiculous. I silently judge people who bring their parents with them.

thechee

Bronze

Post by thechee » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:31 pm

mz253 wrote:Really not sure who can go with me since I will be flying across the country. Any of you guys have experiences visiting law schools alone? Will it be terrible? Do most people come with their parents or significant others?
Why would it be terrible?

If you don't know anyone there, use the resources of the school to try and find current students that you can talk to.

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:lol at visiting a law school with your mommy.
My mom wants to go on law school visits with me :| I dont really mind though because she is usually spot on about these kind of decisions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:23 pm

noleknight16 wrote:
My mom wants to go on law school visits with me :| I dont really mind though because she is usually spot on about these kind of decisions.
Just don't bring her to ASW.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:26 pm

noleknight16 wrote:
Kindly explain that you're beginning your professional career and that it is no more acceptable to bring your parent to an open house than it is to bring a parent to the first day of work. While you value her insight, you need to begin setting forth a professional, adult foot towards your future colleagues, professors, and administrators.

Unless she's paying for law school and that's the only way she's willing to pay for it. If that's the case, swallow the pride and enjoy the parent-sponsored free ride.

Curry

Post by Curry » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:27 pm

TommyK wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:
Kindly explain that you're beginning your professional career and that it is no more acceptable to bring your parent to an open house than it is to bring a parent to the first day of work. While you value her insight, you need to begin setting forth a professional, adult foot towards your future colleagues, professors, and administrators.

Unless she's paying for law school and that's the only way she's willing to pay for it. If that's the case, swallow the pride and enjoy the parent-sponsored free ride.
I don't think its bad to visit colleges with parents. ASW and other official events are probably a no go though.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:28 pm

Curry wrote:
TommyK wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:

I don't think its bad to visit colleges with parents. ASW and other official events are probably a no go though.
Colleges, but not law schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Curry

Post by Curry » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Curry wrote:
TommyK wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:

Colleges, but not law schools.
I meant law schools. My experience is that of an 0L so probably not credited, but I know of and have seen plenty of people visiting law schools with their parents and haven't really heard about any backlash.

fastforward

Bronze

Post by fastforward » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:36 pm

I don't have time to track down the citations, but several adcomms warn against bring parents to campus visits. Traveling with a parent is one thing. It's very adult to enjoy a parent as a traveling companion. Just be certain the parent is nowhere in sight during substantive activities, such as class visits of visits with the adcomm. You can stroll the grounds later with the parents. All this assumes a parent sans helicopter tendencies.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:38 pm

Curry wrote:
I meant law schools. My experience is that of an 0L so probably not credited, but I know of and have seen plenty of people visiting law schools with their parents and haven't really heard about any backlash.
A friend who has given 5 or 6 tours at NU said he's never seen a parent. It would stand out. Then again NU purposely tries to admit mature students.

A different guy who has given many more tours said it happened twice and he felt embarrassed for the kid.

Curry

Post by Curry » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:40 pm

fastforward wrote:I don't have time to track down the citations, but several adcomms warn against bring parents to campus visits. Traveling with a parent is one thing. It's very adult to enjoy a parent as a traveling companion. Just be certain the parent is nowhere in sight during substantive activities, such as class visits of visits with the adcomm. You can stroll the grounds later with the parents. All this assumes a parent sans helicopter tendencies.
This is more or less what I meant. Don't have them sit in on classes or have them around when you are doing anything substantive but walking the grounds, checking out apartments, etc. should all be fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Curry wrote:
A friend who has given 5 or 6 tours at NU said he's never seen a parent. It would stand out. Then again NU purposely tries to admit mature students.

A different guy who has given many more tours said it happened twice and he felt embarrassed for the kid.
Most people are savvy enough to not publicly mock the student with parents attached. That doesn't mean that we don't all snicker to ourselves, and silently judge the prospective, losing all respect for him.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:58 pm

don't bring your parents, but if you have an attractive girlfriend, definitely bring her, you will earn respect from your prospective classmates.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:04 pm

What if you are straight from undergrad, and your parents are bankrolling law school? (and insist on visiting with you)

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:05 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:What if you are straight from undergrad, and your parents are bankrolling law school? (and insist on visiting with you)
I'd do A LOT of embarrassing things for 200K.

Bring them if you must but let them know that it's abnormal.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:What if you are straight from undergrad, and your parents are bankrolling law school? (and insist on visiting with you)

They just haven't realized that I don't really give two shits about what the campus looks like. I care about getting a job in the area that I want to work in. I am picking schools based off on that. They will say "Oh, look how pretty this building is."

But I guess I will have to shut my mouth and accept it, considering I will not see a single bill for my JD.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:10 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

They just haven't realized that I don't really give two shits about what the campus looks like. I care about getting a job in the area that I want to work in. I am picking schools based off on that. They will say "Oh, look how pretty this building is."

But I guess I will have to shut my mouth and accept it, considering I will not see a single bill for my JD.
Lol dude, don't let your parents go with you.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:12 pm

If only somebody responded to that question before it was asked...
TommyK wrote:

I agree with DF. There's not much I wouldn't do for 200 large.

That being said, I will still judge you. I will just also be very jealous of you being debt-free upon graduation.

$$ > self-respect

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:14 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:Lol dude, don't let your parents go with you.
Lol dude, don't do shit that could screw up getting two hundred thousand dollars.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:16 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Well you can man up and explain it to them. If they absolutely insist then yea suck it up.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:17 pm

It would have to depend on the parent, and how you get along. if you have obnixous parents- then dont bring them, but if you are driving a long distance, and your parent is very chill and not obnixous, then why not? Especially if they are footing the bill!!!!!!!!!

Ill bring mine to visit, unofficially. but not to admitted student days Im going to school, not my dad

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:18 pm

TommyK wrote:I will just also be very jealous of you being debt-free upon graduation.
But you would never admit to that IRL, right? :D

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:20 pm

bk187 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:Lol dude, don't let your parents go with you.
Lol dude, don't do shit that could screw up getting two hundred thousand dollars.
Who's parents who committed to paying for the child's law school would back out b/c they are not allowed to attend a law school visit? You TLS'ers over-dramatize everything.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”