24 hours in Portland.

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
NorCalBruin

24 hours in Portland.

Postby NorCalBruin » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:24 pm

Heyo!

I'll be visiting Lewis & Clark, though not on ASW or anything like that.

Basically I'll have 24 hours in Portland before I head off to Boise to visit my uncle. I've been to Portland a couple times before, but it's always been with my parents, and it's been a while. This time I'll be going myself.

Any suggestions on things to do? Bars? Restaurants? Cool things to see? Cool places to shop?

Thanks a lot.

dr123

Re: 24 hours in Portland.

Postby dr123 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Last edited by dr123 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

WayBryson

Postby WayBryson » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:42 pm

dr123 wrote:Hair of the Dog Brewing Co
McMenamins Bagdad Theater & Pub
Burnside Skatepark
Chinatown

Southeast Portland is also hella chill and has a ton of parks, cool little stores, and shit

oh yea and there are always shows at the Crystal Ballroom

Powell's Books is pretty sweet too. It covers an entire city block. Also, if you like coffee, then you definitely need to find a Stumptown. One of the two best coffee establishments I've encountered (Espresso Vivace in Seattle is the other). I recommend ordering a tall double latte and drinking it there so that you can admire the art. There are a bunch of trendy little streets up on 23rd (and a McMenamins), which you might like as well. I am also partial to the Japanese Garden. There is plenty to do, so I don't think you can go wrong. Oh, bring an umbrella ;-)

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:55 pm

--LinkRemoved--

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:42 am

Definitely Powell's Books.

And I'd say a Winter Hawks hockey game, but the home games that weekend are 3/16, 3/18 & 3/20.

mtrl

Postby mtrl » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:28 pm

Powell's Books and Voodoo Donut.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:31 pm

Kennedy school. Elementary school converted into a bar

dr123

Postby dr123 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:38 pm

Acropolis, best strip club in the nw
fullers, crucial breakfast

amers73

Postby amers73 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:46 pm

Voodoo donuts. Powell's books.

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:29 am

Voodoo is overrated. Definitely visit Horse Brass Pub on SE Belmont -- they have tons of microbrews on tap and they're always rotating. They also make their own fish & chips.

Some other favorites include Amnesia Brewing, Kennedy School, Deschutes in the Pearl, and of course Powell's Books.

If you have time for a meal, I would recommend Fire on the Mountain -- they have the best wings in town (and that I've ever tasted) in 12+ different flavors (e.g. spicy thai peanut or buffalo lime cilantro) and good microbrews on tap. It's on Burnside, so just a couple of miles East of Powell's on the same street. If you have time for brunch, I would recommend Petit Provence on North Killingsworth.

That puts a lot on your itinerary, but if you have time, you definitely won't regret it. The prices are more than fair as well. HTH.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:54 am

jjlaw wrote:Voodoo is overrated.

How could you sir!?

Voodoo is the crystal meth of fast food. If you told me I had 30 seconds in Portland to go anywhere and do anything, I'd say take me to voodoo and get a maple bacon bar. My God, I'm salivating just thinking about it. Screw it, that makes me want to go to L&C myself.

P.S. I took the tour in October. Go tour and then tell me it doesn't look like the shield generator on the moon of Endor. But seriously. The cafeteria. Wow. Just wow.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:43 am

lisjjen wrote:

How could you sir!?

Voodoo is the crystal meth of fast food. If you told me I had 30 seconds in Portland to go anywhere and do anything, I'd say take me to voodoo and get a maple bacon bar. My God, I'm salivating just thinking about it. Screw it, that makes me want to go to L&C myself.

P.S. I took the tour in October. Go tour and then tell me it doesn't look like the shield generator on the moon of Endor. But seriously. The cafeteria. Wow. Just wow.

I'm from NYC, so maybe I don't get it, but is that a glazed donut with bacon on it? Does that really taste good?

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:12 pm

Yes, its a maple bar with bacon on it. Vodoo Donuts is famous for their outrageous (and conventional) donuts. This is one of the more outrageous, I've never had it before so I can't tell you if it taste good or not.

Only 24 hours huh? I'm from Portland and the key to enjoying urban portland is just getting out of your car and walking the streets. Here are some areas in Portland worth visiting, you can google them and find the Bars/restraunts. Mississippi St, SE Belmont, Pearl, Park Blocks, and NW 23rd. If you want cheap food, just stop at any of the hundreds of food carts (Mississippi St and Park Blocks best for this).

I know it seems kind of lame people are telling you to go to a book store when you only have 24 hours in a city, but Powells Books is iconic portland. If microbeers are your thing, then definitly hit up all the brewpubs and take some tours. If you were going closer to June, then i would say Washington Park and check out the rose gardens. It isn't called the Rose City for nothing. I also agree about Stumptown, great coffee.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:11 pm

ptblazer wrote:Yes, its a maple bar with bacon on it. Vodoo Donuts is famous for their outrageous (and conventional) donuts. This is one of the more outrageous, I've never had it before so I can't tell you if it taste good or not.

Only 24 hours huh? I'm from Portland and the key to enjoying urban portland is just getting out of your car and walking the streets. Here are some areas in Portland worth visiting, you can google them and find the Bars/restraunts. Mississippi St, SE Belmont, Pearl, Park Blocks, and NW 23rd. If you want cheap food, just stop at any of the hundreds of food carts (Mississippi St and Park Blocks best for this).

I know it seems kind of lame people are telling you to go to a book store when you only have 24 hours in a city, but Powells Books is iconic portland. If microbeers are your thing, then definitly hit up all the brewpubs and take some tours. If you were going closer to June, then i would say Washington Park and check out the rose gardens. It isn't called the Rose City for nothing. I also agree about Stumptown, great coffee.

TITCR. The thing that makes Portland so great is the whole city kicks ass. Just get out of your car and you'll find stuff.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:15 pm

I definitely agree that VD is overrated.

I mean I would suggest anybody to go there because the novelty of their donuts and the interesting combinations they have is worth trying. However I don't think that the quality is anything above the average donut shop and especially not worth the hour plus wait that can exist at the first VD (as opposed the second VD has had almost nonexistent lines when I've been there).

So I'd say try it and make your own decision on the place, but personally I think it is unique and interesting to try, but definitely overrated because the quality of the donuts just isn't there imo.

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:31 pm

bk1 wrote:definitely overrated because the quality of the donuts just isn't there imo.

Yeah, I hate to admit it, but I would take Krispy Kreme over Voodoo any day. The quality of doughnuts is average and too doughy for my taste. I like the light and fluffy texture of KK doughnuts. Voodoo is great for shock factor, but that is all.

smittytron3k

Postby smittytron3k » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:12 pm

a couple of favorites: bunk sandwiches; cupcake jones; potato champion. potato champion has the best fries i have ever eaten, and the poutine is out of this world. they do have weird hours thought (i think 8pm-2am).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:08 pm

smittytron3k wrote:a couple of favorites: bunk sandwiches; cupcake jones; potato champion. potato champion has the best fries i have ever eaten, and the poutine is out of this world. they do have weird hours thought (i think 8pm-2am).

There is somewhere in this city where I can get poutine? How have I never heard about this? I eat it (way too much) when I'm up in BC for hockey or snowboarding, and then have to scrounge all over to find a store that carries cheese curds (yay Haggen!) to make it myself at home.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:11 pm

what do Portlanders think of the new Fred Armisen show?

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:14 pm

General Tso wrote:what do Portlanders think of the new Fred Armisen show?

I think a few of the characters they do are spot on, but overall it is just over dramatized and not very well written. Personally I don't think it is that funny of a show. The show is about 23 min long and in those 23 min I get about 2-3 min of genuine laughter from it.

The idea of the show is brillant though. Portland has it's share of entertaining personality types.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:05 am

The 'Dream of the 90s Is Alive In Portland' music video was genius, and it kinda went downhill from there. Some of the stereotypes are spot on, but then they seem to take a good joke and just ride it off the rails to where it gets stupid. (Detailed bio of free-range chicken delivered with menu at restaurant: wicked funny. Traveling to the free-range chicken farm and joining a cult: wtf.)

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:24 am

rinkrat19 wrote:

The 'Dream of the 90s Is Alive In Portland' music video was genius, and it kinda went downhill from there. Some of the stereotypes are spot on, but then they seem to take a good joke and just ride it off the rails to where it gets stupid. (Detailed bio of free-range chicken delivered with menu at restaurant: wicked funny. Traveling to the free-range chicken farm and joining a cult: wtf.)

Great example and I totally agree. Another stereotype I thought was right on was the adult hide and seek league.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:29 am

ptblazer wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Great example and I totally agree. Another stereotype I thought was right on was the adult hide and seek league.

The hide-n-seek league was great. I've got a bunch of friends who play in dodgeball and kickball leagues. (Me, I play ice hockey. Less beer, more violence.)

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:33 am

god, this thread makes me miss portland...

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”