Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:21 pm

TT09 wrote:
kalvano wrote:Sure, there is stuff to do outside in Texas. For the three days of the year when it's not 105 out. I want a cold fucking winter. I hate the fact that it's 60 out in January. It sucks. It's living through the hell of summer for no payoff.

And yes, you can find isolated spots in Texas that are "naturally beautiful". They are the exception, not the rule. Walk outside basically anywhere in New England, Colorado, the PNW and it's nice. You don't have to search anything out.

The cities in Texas (especially Dallas) are all about tearing down anything historic and putting up McMansions and Wal-Marts. The people tend to be shallow and obsessed over what kind of car you drive / house you own / etc. I loathe "Southern hospitality" where complete strangers feel like it's OK to strike up a conversation with me. I don't want to talk to people in elevators and shit.

I hate Texas.


And it hates you. So do you and the state a favor, graduate, and GTFO...simple, right?



A state can't hate anything. It's not a living, breathing object. What an absurd statement.

User avatar
mbusch22
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby mbusch22 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:30 pm

Kalvano, not to argue or put down any of your comments, because some of them i agree with (although I kinda like the heat), but what are you doing at SMU if you don't like Texas? You think you might transfer or look for work elsewhere?

Just wondering because I'm not sure I want to be stuck in Texas forever.

User avatar
JordynAsh
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby JordynAsh » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:39 pm

sparty99 wrote:As a resident of Texas, just visit Austin. It is the best looking out of all the cities you mentioned. Plus the weather will be nice, Dallas can get cold (it just snowed). And you can do a quick visit to San Antonio and visit the Alamo. It's nothing like San Fran, but San Fran aint poppin' off either - especially that gay scene.


So NOT worth it IMO.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby JazzOne » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:47 pm

kalvano wrote:The cities in Texas (especially Dallas) are all about tearing down anything historic and putting up McMansions and Wal-Marts. The people tend to be shallow and obsessed over what kind of car you drive / house you own / etc. I loathe "Southern hospitality" where complete strangers feel like it's OK to strike up a conversation with me. I don't want to talk to people in elevators and shit.

lol

+1

The only redeeming quality of Texas is the robust economy. I actually love the hot weather, but I'd probably live somewhere else if the my job prospects weren't a gazillion times better in Texas. Oh, and law school was cheap as hell too.

User avatar
gmail
Posts: 1012
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:41 pm

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby gmail » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:43 am

41334
Last edited by gmail on Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
apollo13
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:47 am

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby apollo13 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:03 am

kalvano wrote:The cities in Texas (especially Dallas) are all about tearing down anything historic and putting up McMansions and Wal-Marts. The people tend to be shallow and obsessed over what kind of car you drive / house you own / etc. I loathe "Southern hospitality" where complete strangers feel like it's OK to strike up a conversation with me. I don't want to talk to people in elevators and shit.


Coming from the City (as you guys might react, wtf?! nyc is not the only city in the world), I kind of miss striking up a random conversation with a stranger or encountering courtesy in certain situations. Once, I visited my friend who goes to Princeton, which is in upper-class suburban area. As soon I got out of Princeton junction train station and stood by a crossroad to wait for the cars to go by, literally, 4 cars in each direction stopped and waited me to cross the road. I was flabbergasted, but realized this is the norm in central jersey. it felt good actually, realizing there are still people out there with etiquettes and manners. anyways, i dunno why its so bad about it.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:06 am

mbusch22 wrote:Kalvano, not to argue or put down any of your comments, because some of them i agree with (although I kinda like the heat), but what are you doing at SMU if you don't like Texas? You think you might transfer or look for work elsewhere?

Just wondering because I'm not sure I want to be stuck in Texas forever.



Entirely unintentional and not for lack of trying.

I do intend to look elsewhere for work, but I don't hold out a lot of hope for finding it right off. I'm sure I'll have to suffer through a few more years in Texas. However, I'm not looking for the big markets, so that helps somewhat. And I have family on the East Coast, which helps establish ties.
Last edited by kalvano on Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:10 am

apollo13 wrote:
kalvano wrote:The cities in Texas (especially Dallas) are all about tearing down anything historic and putting up McMansions and Wal-Marts. The people tend to be shallow and obsessed over what kind of car you drive / house you own / etc. I loathe "Southern hospitality" where complete strangers feel like it's OK to strike up a conversation with me. I don't want to talk to people in elevators and shit.


Coming from the City (as you guys might react, wtf?! nyc is not the only city in the world), I kind of miss striking up a random conversation with a stranger or encountering courtesy in certain situations. Once, I visited my friend who goes to Princeton, which is in upper-class suburban area. As soon I got out of Princeton junction train station and stood by a crossroad to wait for the cars to go by, literally, 4 cars in each direction stopped and waited me to cross the road. I was flabbergasted, but realized this is the norm in central jersey. it felt good actually, realizing there are still people out there with etiquettes and manners. anyways, i dunno why its so bad about it.



I don't mean common courtesy. I mean this weird Southern thing where complete strangers feel some need to offer their opinion on something or otherwise carry on a conversation like we've known each other for years. I find it rude and intrusive.

User avatar
1evilo.aihpos
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:37 am

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby 1evilo.aihpos » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:00 am

A state can't hate anything. It's not a living, breathing object. What an absurd statement.[/quote]

how insightful.....


Anyways, I would argue Dallas is the worst city in Texas.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby sparty99 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:35 am

I'll take NYC, Chicago, and LA over Dallas...But Dallas the worst city in Texas? Hardly......

(1) Six Flags
(2) Shopping
(3) 4 major sport teams
(4) The nicest suburbs in the state
(5) An elite university
(6) Two major airports - with two major airlines based here
(7) Major companies based here
(8) A decent nightlife for straight people (not true for gay people!)
(9) More eateries per capita than NYC
(10) People have nice cars
(11) Good looking females
(12) It rains here almost never
(13) Whataburger
(14) It don't take much to be rich
(15) It's the city where everyone from Oklahoma move to after they graduate...And the city where many Texas grad's go to....

Cons
(1) Massive highway system - a city of cement
(2) Flat
(3) Nightlife is horrendous if you ever lived in NYC, Chicago, and LA
(4) The gay community has a high number of pretentious people
(5) You have to drive everywhere, horrendous public transport system - but hey, that's Texas for ya
(6) Very conservative (at least the surrounding suburbs)


Please tell me how San Antonio, Lubbock, Amarillo come close to Dallas?

User avatar
1evilo.aihpos
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:37 am

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby 1evilo.aihpos » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:40 am

well, off my interests......

sparty99 wrote:I'll take NYC, Chicago, and LA over Dallas...But Dallas the worst city in Texas? Hardly......

(1) Six Flags
(2) Shopping
(3) 4 major sport teams
(4) The nicest suburbs in the state
(5) An elite university

(6) Two major airports - with two major airlines based here
(7) Major companies based here
(8) A decent nightlife for straight people (not true for gay people!)
(9) More eateries per capita than NYC
(10) People have nice cars
(11) Good looking females
(12) It rains here almost never
(13) Whataburger
(14) It don't take much to be rich

(15) It's the city where everyone from Oklahoma move to after they graduate...And the city where many Texas grad's go to....

Cons
(1) Massive highway system - a city of cement
(2) Flat
(3) Nightlife is horrendous if you ever lived in NYC, Chicago, and LA
(4) The gay community has a high number of pretentious people
(5) You have to drive everywhere, horrendous public transport system - but hey, that's Texas for ya
(6) Very conservative (at least the surrounding suburbs)


Please tell me how San Antonio, Lubbock, Amarillo come close to Dallas?

lubbock amarillo???? well.... are you serious.....

"People have nice cars"...lol you are helping kalvano's argument

horsethief80
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:33 am

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby horsethief80 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:32 am

If some of you are able, lose your preconceptions and prejudices and spend several days in the Big Bend/ West Texas area. It's like nowhere else. I could talk about it all day. But I'll just say the fact that Austin hippies and old time cowboys enjoy, frequent, and coexist in places like Terlingua and Marfa speaks volumes about the area. Whether or not you want to live there is an entirely different question. But it's definitely worth a visit.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:37 am

1evilo.aihpos wrote:well, off my interests......

sparty99 wrote:I'll take NYC, Chicago, and LA over Dallas...But Dallas the worst city in Texas? Hardly......

(1) Six Flags
(2) Shopping
(3) 4 major sport teams
(4) The nicest suburbs in the state
(5) An elite university

(6) Two major airports - with two major airlines based here
(7) Major companies based here
(8) A decent nightlife for straight people (not true for gay people!)
(9) More eateries per capita than NYC
(10) People have nice cars
(11) Good looking females
(12) It rains here almost never
(13) Whataburger
(14) It don't take much to be rich

(15) It's the city where everyone from Oklahoma move to after they graduate...And the city where many Texas grad's go to....

Cons
(1) Massive highway system - a city of cement
(2) Flat Why do people keep saying this? It's not flat. Maybe compared to ski town in VT or CO, but c'mon! It's not like DFW is Lubbock or anything.
(3) Nightlife is horrendous if you ever lived in NYC, Chicago, and LA
(4) The gay community has a high number of pretentious people Not a factor one way or another for me, personally. But I see how it could be for some.
(5) You have to drive everywhere, horrendous public transport system - but hey, that's Texas for ya
(6) Very conservative (at least the surrounding suburbs) Routinely elects democrats to office in significant numbers.


Please tell me how San Antonio, Lubbock, Amarillo come close to Dallas?

Gonna have to agree with this, with my thoughts added in bold. Shopping is probably a push. (As in, you can find pretty much everything under the sun and not have to order it online. I'm not much of a shopper though.)

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:39 am

horsethief80 wrote:If some of you are able, lose your preconceptions and prejudices and spend several days in the Big Bend/ West Texas area. It's like nowhere else. I could talk about it all day. But I'll just say the fact that Austin hippies and old time cowboys enjoy, frequent, and coexist in places like Terlingua and Marfa speaks volumes about the area. Whether or not you want to live there is an entirely different question. But it's definitely worth a visit.

FTR: I've done this. Still not impressed. To each his own, though.

horsethief80
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:33 am

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby horsethief80 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:00 am

sparty99 wrote:I'll take NYC, Chicago, and LA over Dallas...But Dallas the worst city in Texas? Hardly......

(1) Six Flags
(2) Shopping
(3) 4 major sport teams
(4) The nicest suburbs in the state
(5) An elite university
(6) Two major airports - with two major airlines based here
(7) Major companies based here
(8) A decent nightlife for straight people (not true for gay people!)
(9) More eateries per capita than NYC
(10) People have nice cars
(11) Good looking females
(12) It rains here almost never
(13) Whataburger
(14) It don't take much to be rich
(15) It's the city where everyone from Oklahoma move to after they graduate...And the city where many Texas grad's go to....

Cons
(1) Massive highway system - a city of cement
(2) Flat
(3) Nightlife is horrendous if you ever lived in NYC, Chicago, and LA
(4) The gay community has a high number of pretentious people
(5) You have to drive everywhere, horrendous public transport system - but hey, that's Texas for ya
(6) Very conservative (at least the surrounding suburbs)


Please tell me how San Antonio, Lubbock, Amarillo come close to Dallas?


I kind of feel like comparing NYC, Chicago, and LA with Dallas is kind of an apples and oranges thing, likewise when comparing Dallas with Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and West Texas. Each of the Texas cities/areas are pretty distinct. That's kind of the point as to why it's purdy cool. Aside from West Texas, you have several large cities with numerous, different good and bad points all within a couple of hours of each other. And while a little more remote, West Texas is just a day's drive or an hour flight away from the rest of the fun stuff. I've lived in West Texas, Dallas, Houston, and San Marcos and have lived in the state all my life. But I still experience new stuff in all of the previously mentioned areas each time I visit one of them. You've just got to look.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:13 pm

Also, I forgot to add the incredible insecurity that most Texans seem to feel over the state. They always have to argue about how "no, it's really a nice place!"

People in places that are actually nice don't need to. Texans have to argue incessantly that their state really is the greatest state, blah, blah, blah. If you say you don't like it, then according to most obnoxious Texans, there is something wrong with you. Everywhere else, people just say "OK" and move on with their lives.

deliriousxix
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby deliriousxix » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:25 pm

Coming from someone who has lived in Texas their whole life (including in Austin, Dallas, and Houston), I'd definitely say stop in Austin. Austin has the best food, entertainment, and is the most aesthetically appealing! Dallas is second, then San Antonio, then Houston. Houston has horrible weather (humid) and is overcrowded.

deliriousxix
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby deliriousxix » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:28 pm

horsethief80 wrote:If some of you are able, lose your preconceptions and prejudices and spend several days in the Big Bend/ West Texas area. It's like nowhere else. I could talk about it all day. But I'll just say the fact that Austin hippies and old time cowboys enjoy, frequent, and coexist in places like Terlingua and Marfa speaks volumes about the area. Whether or not you want to live there is an entirely different question. But it's definitely worth a visit.


+1
I really enjoy West Texas! The hill country is amazing too.. so pretty.

Lucidity
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby Lucidity » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:53 pm

I wish some of you having this debate can just accept that EVERYTHING you are arguing about is subjective and end the discussion there. In Kalvano's case, his views about why he hates Texas can be summed up as "well its not anything like the New England states". Well duh. You have very specific preferences that are not congruent with what the state has to offer. It's not cold here, it doesn't snow here often, and people in general are a lot more laid back and friendly/talkative (or nosy and rude, as kalvano puts it). If you would rather move to New York and pay twice the cost of living for what New York has that Texas does not, that's certainly your choice. But I really wish people would STOP judging a state on absolute terms of suckage/awsomeness based purely on subjective measurements. The reason why people bring up cost of living/low taxes so much in defense of the state is BECAUSE it is NOT subjective. Lower costs of living, in general, are a plus for EVERYONE - unless you're Kalvano. Hate the heat? Some people prefer that to the snow. Hate how "nosy" people are? Some people call that southern hospitality.

As to how "insecure" people are, i think you can attribute that to the pride that most Texans have. I have noticed this myself, but to be frank, i think the state has a lot to be proud of. Americans are proud of the fact that they overthrew the British to develop an independent nation. The same can be said of Texas and Texans in overthrowing the Mexicans for our independence. Plus, the fact that we rival California in size and consistently have one of the most robust economies in the nation gives Texans every right, in my opinion, to be proud.

One more thing to note. I find that you are very vocal in your displeasure of the state. At every chance, you make an effort to drop some disparaging remark about Texas and how much it sucks, when you yourself agree that your reasons for disliking the state are based on personal taste. Then, when people either challenge you or ask you for your reasons for disliking the state, this is somehow turned into a discussion on flawed Texan pride and snobbishness. Is it not fair that if you make disparaging statements about the state, those who love it would like to defend it? Just as some people like to incessantly defend the state, there are others (like you) who incessantly trash the state on purely subjective measures. I would argue that if you went to New York and trashed New York to a New Yorker's face, 9 out of 10 would display the same behavior that you have described. People defend what they love when they see it being attacked by flawed reasoning. I think this is true in general for all people, regardless of geography.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:51 pm

Lucidity wrote:YOU SHUT UP, TEXAS IS AWESOME BECAUSE I SAY SO!


Thanks for helping prove my point.

A12345
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 am

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby A12345 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:55 pm

Lucidity wrote:I wish some of you having this debate can just accept that EVERYTHING you are arguing about is subjective and end the discussion there. In Kalvano's case, his views about why he hates Texas can be summed up as "well its not anything like the New England states". Well duh. You have very specific preferences that are not congruent with what the state has to offer. It's not cold here, it doesn't snow here often, and people in general are a lot more laid back and friendly/talkative (or nosy and rude, as kalvano puts it). If you would rather move to New York and pay twice the cost of living for what New York has that Texas does not, that's certainly your choice. But I really wish people would STOP judging a state on absolute terms of suckage/awsomeness based purely on subjective measurements. The reason why people bring up cost of living/low taxes so much in defense of the state is BECAUSE it is NOT subjective. Lower costs of living, in general, are a plus for EVERYONE - unless you're Kalvano. Hate the heat? Some people prefer that to the snow. Hate how "nosy" people are? Some people call that southern hospitality.

As to how "insecure" people are, i think you can attribute that to the pride that most Texans have. I have noticed this myself, but to be frank, i think the state has a lot to be proud of. Americans are proud of the fact that they overthrew the British to develop an independent nation. The same can be said of Texas and Texans in overthrowing the Mexicans for our independence. Plus, the fact that we rival California in size and consistently have one of the most robust economies in the nation gives Texans every right, in my opinion, to be proud.

One more thing to note. I find that you are very vocal in your displeasure of the state. At every chance, you make an effort to drop some disparaging remark about Texas and how much it sucks, when you yourself agree that your reasons for disliking the state are based on personal taste. Then, when people either challenge you or ask you for your reasons for disliking the state, this is somehow turned into a discussion on flawed Texan pride and snobbishness. Is it not fair that if you make disparaging statements about the state, those who love it would like to defend it? Just as some people like to incessantly defend the state, there are others (like you) who incessantly trash the state on purely subjective measures. I would argue that if you went to New York and trashed New York to a New Yorker's face, 9 out of 10 would display the same behavior that you have described. People defend what they love when they see it being attacked by flawed reasoning. I think this is true in general for all people, regardless of geography.


QFT

kalvano is just a person who is bitter that he didn't better understand where he was moving off to school

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:00 pm

ITT:

Kalvano is
Image

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:51 pm

A12345 wrote:kalvano is just a person who is bitter that he didn't better understand where he was moving off to school



A12345 is an idiot who doesn't know what he is talking about.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:52 pm

kalvano wrote:
A12345 wrote:kalvano is just a person who is bitter that he didn't better understand where he was moving off to school



A12345 is an idiot who doesn't know what he is talking about.

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:54 pm

That's not hate. That's a statement of absolute fact. He (or she) has absolutely no idea what they are talking about.




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest