Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
kalvano

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:57 pm

Some of Texas is mildly interesting, though not to the extent of the PNW or New England.

However, most of the cities are utter shit.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:04 pm

kalvano wrote:Some of Texas is mildly interesting, though not to the extent of the PNW or New England.

Yeah, it really sucks making east coast market rate, paying no state or city income tax, all with a cost of living that's so low it's ridiculous. And it's not like we've got arts, sports or natural beauty to keep us preoccupied. :roll:

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:12 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
kalvano wrote:Some of Texas is mildly interesting, though not to the extent of the PNW or New England.

Yeah, it really sucks making east coast market rate, paying no state or city income tax, all with a cost of living that's so low it's ridiculous. And it's not like we've got arts, sports or natural beauty to keep us preoccupied. :roll:

I like living in Texas. There will be things to dislike about any state or region you live in, but I can't think of much that makes Texas objectively worse than any other state. Except maybe the heat.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:15 pm

Marionberry wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

I like living in Texas. There will be things to dislike about any state or region you live in, but I can't think of much that makes Texas objectively worse than any other state. Except maybe the heat.

Three words: air conditioning

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:15 pm

HowdyYall wrote:
Marionberry wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

Three words: air conditioning

QFP (and because I'm a douche).

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:25 pm

Even with A/C the heat can be oppressive sometimes. Like getting into your car on a July afternoon, when you try to roll down the window to cool the car off only to find that it makes no difference at all, because it's 103 degrees outside.

Also, patrick, you have already graduated, correct? Didn't you go to school somewhere in DC?

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:29 pm

kalvano wrote:
CliveStaples wrote:
kalvano wrote:
apollo13 wrote:TAnd, since I heard that Texas is gorgeous, I want to stop by and check it out.

You heard wrong.

Don't listen to him/her... It all depends on what you like because Texas has beaches, nice lakes/rivers, great golf, great camping/hiking areas, some cool places where historical events took place. The biggest problem is because texas is so large most of this stuff is in different areas... oh and it doesn't have mountains which would be nice...

That doesn't make it "gorgeous", it just makes it less awful.

There are places that are gorgeous in Texas. Parts of the Hill Country over between like Hunt and Enchanted Rock are pretty damn beautiful. However, most of it is just cedar as far as the eye can see.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:01 pm

Marionberry wrote:Also, patrick, you have already graduated, correct? Didn't you go to school somewhere in DC?

Still in school, not in Texas, nor DC. Born and raised in Texas though. Lived in/near Dallas, Houston and Austin.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:23 pm

Wow, I'm completely off base then. nm

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:12 am

patrickd139 wrote:

God, I hate that fucking argument. When your best reason to live in a place is because it's cheap, that let's you know it's not exactly a garden spot. I'd much rather pay a little more to live in a place that doesn't fucking worship shopping malls and Wal-Marts.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:08 am

kalvano wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

God, I hate that fucking argument. When your best reason to live in a place is because it's cheap, that let's you know it's not exactly a garden spot. I'd much rather pay a little more to live in a place that doesn't fucking worship shopping malls and Wal-Marts.

Did you make a conscious decision to disregard the second half of my post, or was that a RC fail?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:19 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

Did you make a conscious decision to disregard the second half of my post, or was that a RC fail?

Don't give a shit about sports (and, in fact, Texas' obsession with football is one of the things I hate most), art is interesting but gets old after a while, and flat and hot does not count as "natural beauty".

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:58 pm

kalvano wrote: Don't give a shit about sports (and, in fact, Texas' obsession with football is one of the things I hate most), art is interesting but gets old after a while, and flat and hot does not count as "natural beauty".

I hate the argument that Texas is "flat and hot" more than you hate the economic argument above. I'm not about to proclaim that Texas is objectively better than every other state. Sure, with as much land mass as Texas occupies, there are some drawbacks. And sure, there are times that parts of the state get warm (I don't see you hating on Arizona or Nevada). Your personal feelings about sports can be used to discount any positive thing anywhere that you don't like. I'm even cool with that, as everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But to characterize Texas as "flat and hot" across the board is just ignorant, and makes you sound like you've never been to Texas, where you can...

...zip-line through tree-tops near Houston

...float rivers through the central part of the state
--ImageRemoved--

...hike and bike through Hill Country (where there are several mediocre wineries, as well, and a few good ones)
--ImageRemoved--

...board, ski or fish in East Texas

...Spring Break on South Padre Island

...and nature watch (or hunt, if you're into that kinda thing) in South Texas

...hike through the second largest canyon in the United States in the "flat and hot" part you hate so much

formerbiglawpartner

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:15 pm

At the risk of piling on Kalvano, to which kind of art do your refer? Visual arts, e.g., the Museum of Fine Arts, the Menil, the Contemporary Arts Museum, the Rothko Chapel (obviously, I am just sticking with Houston at this point), or performing arts? In that case, you have the Houston Grand Opera, the Houston Symphony, the Houston Ballet, and the largest theater district outside of NYC. Indeed, outside of NYC, only San Francisco, Boston, and Houston have all the major performing arts groups covered. (Chicago might squeak in there if you count the formerly great Joffrey and the Lyric Opera.)

Having said that, I've never considered Texas to be a beautiful state, having lived in six different states and areas of the country. The Pacific Northwest would trounce every other area of the country in that regard in my opinion. The weather in the summer also is hot and humid, but that's what the air conditioned tunnel systems are for. The winter is another matter. Yesterday's sunny, dry and in the 60's day was pretty fabulous. There have been several days like that--even in the '70's--over the holidays. So if you are a rock climber or kayaker, Texas is probably not for you. If you like to play golf year round (and more clients play golf than rock climb or kayak, trust me), come on down.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:22 pm

texas women

/end thread

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:23 pm

Sure, there is stuff to do outside in Texas. For the three days of the year when it's not 105 out. I want a cold fucking winter. I hate the fact that it's 60 out in January. It sucks. It's living through the hell of summer for no payoff.

And yes, you can find isolated spots in Texas that are "naturally beautiful". They are the exception, not the rule. Walk outside basically anywhere in New England, Colorado, the PNW and it's nice. You don't have to search anything out.

The cities in Texas (especially Dallas) are all about tearing down anything historic and putting up McMansions and Wal-Marts. The people tend to be shallow and obsessed over what kind of car you drive / house you own / etc. I loathe "Southern hospitality" where complete strangers feel like it's OK to strike up a conversation with me. I don't want to talk to people in elevators and shit.

I hate Texas.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:54 pm

kalvano wrote:The cities in Texas (especially Dallas) are all about tearing down anything historic and putting up McMansions and Wal-Marts. The people tend to be shallow and obsessed over what kind of car you drive / house you own / etc. I loathe "Southern hospitality" where complete strangers feel like it's OK to strike up a conversation with me. I don't want to talk to people in elevators and shit.

I hate Texas.

You'll find suburban sprawl and douche bags in pretty much any state, I really don't think they're dinstinguishing characteristics of Texas. As for the people being friendly thing, I don't think many people would see that as a negative and it's rare that I encouter someone who is outright intrusive or boundary crossing.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:41 pm

kalvano wrote:I hate Texas.

Fair enough. Different strokes, I guess. Most of the things you listed that you hate about Texas, many people love. That's far from making the entire state terrible, IMO.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:12 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
kalvano wrote:I hate Texas.

Fair enough. Different strokes, I guess. Most of the things you listed that you hate about Texas, many people love. That's far from making the entire state terrible, IMO.

I'm sure if you were to fire off a list of stuff you would hate about living in New England and that makes it terrible, that would be stuff I would love.

It's a subjective matter, and it's certainly just my opinion. But, to be fair, I never hear people talk about moving to Texas because it's so pretty or because they love it here. It's always because it's cheap.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:02 am

I've lived in 9 different states and cities. Dallas is one of my least favourite, although I do like Texas for it's CHEAPNESS and HIGH QUALITY OF LIVING (the houses and apartments in Texas are high class), and I also like the weather (give me 90 degrees any day of the week over NE or midwest cold)!

However, I'd much rather live in overpriced NYC, LA, and Chicago, any DAY OF THE WEEK.

gmail

Postby gmail » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:54 pm

Last edited by gmail on Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

apollo13

Postby apollo13 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:29 am

Oh man, I didn't know it was going to make such a stir here.
After much thinking, I think I am going towards Austin. Hopefully, there are lotta stuff to do like san frann does.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:26 am

As a resident of Texas, just visit Austin. It is the best looking out of all the cities you mentioned. Plus the weather will be nice, Dallas can get cold (it just snowed). And you can do a quick visit to San Antonio and visit the Alamo. It's nothing like San Fran, but San Fran aint poppin' off either - especially that gay scene.

TT09

Postby TT09 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:35 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
texas man wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I have heard good things about Austin as a city (music/arts/food scene), but I have never once in my entire life--even when talking to Texans--heard the state of Texas described as even mildy attractive.

That's because there is so much topographic diversity in Texas, describing the state of Texas as attractive wouldn't make sense. Most states are generally consistent topographically;

I live in a place where I can get to the ocean in an hour, wine country in 15 minutes, a temperate old-growth rainforest in 30 minutes, a 11,000+ foot mountain with an 11-month ski season in 90 minutes, an active volcano in 90 minutes, a canyon with the best windsurfing in the world in 45 minutes, and the high desert in 2 hours. The only thing consistent about the topography here is that it's consistently awesome.

OMFG seriouzly!? You'z rock!

Who gives a shit...Texas is a very nice place. OP - Austin is your best bet based upon your criteria. San Antonio would come in 2nd. Either one of those and you couldn't go wrong.
Last edited by TT09 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TT09

Postby TT09 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:39 pm

kalvano wrote:Sure, there is stuff to do outside in Texas. For the three days of the year when it's not 105 out. I want a cold fucking winter. I hate the fact that it's 60 out in January. It sucks. It's living through the hell of summer for no payoff.

And yes, you can find isolated spots in Texas that are "naturally beautiful". They are the exception, not the rule. Walk outside basically anywhere in New England, Colorado, the PNW and it's nice. You don't have to search anything out.

The cities in Texas (especially Dallas) are all about tearing down anything historic and putting up McMansions and Wal-Marts. The people tend to be shallow and obsessed over what kind of car you drive / house you own / etc. I loathe "Southern hospitality" where complete strangers feel like it's OK to strike up a conversation with me. I don't want to talk to people in elevators and shit.

I hate Texas.

And it hates you. So do you and the state a favor, graduate, and GTFO...simple, right?

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”