Stopping by Texas!!! Where?? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
apollo13

Bronze

Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Post by apollo13 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:26 pm

This is a bit off topic, but I am planning to visit law schools in West Coast such as UCLA, *UC Berkeley* this month.
And, since I heard that Texas is gorgeous, I want to stop by and check it out. Of course, I want to check out lawl schools also, but mainly focus on tourism on foot with a bro of mine. so which city would be the apt choice??
Well, I am planning to stay around 4 - 5 days and justt chillax and enjoy the culture/nature etc. etc.
Austin? Houston? Dallas? San Antonio?

Thank you!

--- EDITED ---
Last edited by apollo13 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

thecilent

Gold

Re: Stopping by Texas!!! Where??

Post by thecilent » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:32 pm

Austin

CliveStaples

New

Post by CliveStaples » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:34 pm

It's hard to say without knowing what you want out of your visit. You could go down I35 and pretty much visit 3 of Texas' top law schools (SMU - Dallas, Baylor - Waco, UT - Austin). If you're wanting to party and see some pretty neat things I'd stay in the Austin area (great night life, great dining, America's largest state capitol and plenty of other things you can walk to). If you want more nature type stuff East Texas is by far the "prettiest" part of Texas (lots of hiking, fishing, camping, big trees etc., though probably more of a summertime trip). San Antonio is also a pretty neat walking town with attractions such as The Alamo and the Riverwalk. Dallas of course has a lot to do especially in regards to shopping, night life, dining and historically significant events. Avoid Houston at all costs. West Texas isn't worth going to and South Texas isn't worth it until spring break when you can go to South Padre.

Hope this helps you out some!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:34 pm

thecilent wrote:Austin
With the caveat that no city in Texas is truly good for "tourism on foot," TITCR. Also, "Berks"...?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:36 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
thecilent wrote:Austin
With the caveat that no city in Texas is truly good for "tourism on foot," TITCR. Also, "Berks"...?
Yeah that Berks thing made me angry

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:44 pm

el paso, and be sure to walk across to la ciudad juarez with your wallet (and American citizenship/legal papers) exposed

apollo13

Bronze

Post by apollo13 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:16 am

I apologize for not making it specific, and bout the *Berks* thing.
Most likely, I just want to stay at one city and tour around since I don't want to get too complicated (renting out a car, etc)
Alas, we are still college students, implying that we are financially limited and want to go places on foot.
Last summer, we visited San Fran, kicking it semi-backpacking style - stayed at a hostel, biked and walked around the beautiful streets of SF and Sausalito, checked out various museums and gardens - and we loved it.
I just want a place where we could go improvise on foot, and just make great memories.
I heard Austin is gorgeous, tell me about it if u can =)

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:25 am

Given your criteria, Austin is about the only city that is doable. Dallas, Houston and San Antonio are the only three other cities worth seeing if you're only going to one. None of the above are pedestrian friendly in the least. Not to mention their airports are hella far away from the action.

Fly into ABIA and take the free (or maybe $1.00, I can't remember) Airport Flyer to downtown. If you have friends in the area, you can catch a bus from downtown to just about anywhere. If you're staying at a hotel, suggestions will vary depending on where it is.

When exactly are you going to be in Austin? In January and February, timing can be crucial.

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:28 am

san antonio is definitely the best for tourism. hit up downtown for dinner but then to the northside for bars. PM for some good ones. Avoid houston and dallas; not big for tourism. Downtown austin might not be too exciting with everyone gone for break

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:30 am

f0bolous wrote:el paso, and be sure to walk across to la ciudad juarez with your wallet (and American citizenship/legal papers) exposed
OP: this was sarcasm (just in case). this could end up pretty f' in bad

CliveStaples

New

Post by CliveStaples » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:37 am

apollo13 wrote:I apologize for not making it specific, and bout the *Berks* thing.
Most likely, I just want to stay at one city and tour around since I don't want to get too complicated (renting out a car, etc)
Alas, we are still college students, implying that we are financially limited and want to go places on foot.
Last summer, we visited San Fran, kicking it semi-backpacking style - stayed at a hostel, biked and walked around the beautiful streets of SF and Sausalito, checked out various museums and gardens - and we loved it.
I just want a place where we could go improvise on foot, and just make great memories.
Check this site out: http://www.austintexas.org/
A pretty good tex-mex place is the Hula Hut which is right on the river... Of course you have all the bars on 6th street. The Church of Scientology has a very nice building down there. You can also kayak down the river, go into the underground caverns or hike around the city and see lots of live music.

achilles

Bronze

Post by achilles » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:40 am

apollo13 wrote:I apologize for not making it specific, and bout the *Berks* thing.
I'd say Austin is yall's perfect fit. if you hang out at hippie-ish places, you may even be invited to stay at a co-op or something, but i know there are hostels too. i would definitely recommend renting bikes though.

i love houston but...i don't know why anyone would want to visit. have fun!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:59 am

CliveStaples wrote:
Check this site out: http://www.austintexas.org/
A pretty good tex-mex place is the Hula Hut which is right on the river... Of course you have all the bars on 6th street. The Church of Scientology has a very nice building down there. You can also kayak down the river, go into the underground caverns or hike around the city and see lots of live music.
Not sure if Clive is serious here, but disregard this post's recommendations of the Church of Scientology, and Hula Hut on foot (don't get me wrong, I love Hula Hut; but it's not really within walking distance of anything).

OP, specific recommendations grouped by area for convenience and orientation: South Congress for one-off shops, eateries and some pretty cool drinking spots like the San Jose Hotel and Continental Club; Polvo's for Tex-Mex (or one of the many other great Tex-Mex restaurants on South First Street); UT's campus is pretty nice, especially at night and around the tower (i.e. Main Building, which is open for tours if you want to pay a few dollars to get a great view of Austin about 30 stories up), but it's a little chilly for outdoor sightseeing; Museums can all be found on or right near Campus (incl. Bob Bullock Texas Museum, Harry Ransom Center, Blanton Museum of Art, and the LBJ Presidential Library, depending on what type of museum experience you're looking for); 6th Street for bars; Warehouse District for clubs; Whole Foods flagship store, along with some other more corporate stores like Anthropologie and the like are on 6th and Lamar downtown; Amy's Ice Cream locations at either 6th and Lamar or 35th and Guadalupe are also popular; "The Drag" (a strip of shops and mediocre restaurants) is located adjacent to the West side of Main Campus); Pluckers has some great hot wings if you're into that kind of thing

Also, there are lots of one-off art galleries, wine bars and fantastic eating places in East Austin, but I'd recommend doing some research before and/or taking someone with you from Austin. It's a treasure trove of hidden gems, but can also be unsafe if you're not careful.

Areas to stay away from: Riverside, Arboretum, West Campus, Round Rock, IH-35 and MOPAC (if by car)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CliveStaples

New

Post by CliveStaples » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:07 am

patrickd139 wrote: Not sure if Clive is serious here, but disregard this post's recommendations of the Church of Scientology, and Hula Hut on foot (don't get me wrong, I love Hula Hut; but it's not really within walking distance of anything).
haha no I wasn't serious about the scientology but I think they should hitchhike to hula hut.. OP said they wanted to make memories....

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:29 am

apollo13 wrote:TAnd, since I heard that Texas is gorgeous, I want to stop by and check it out.

You heard wrong.

CliveStaples

New

Post by CliveStaples » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:37 am

kalvano wrote:
apollo13 wrote:TAnd, since I heard that Texas is gorgeous, I want to stop by and check it out.

You heard wrong.
Don't listen to him/her... It all depends on what you like because Texas has beaches, nice lakes/rivers, great golf, great camping/hiking areas, some cool places where historical events took place. The biggest problem is because texas is so large most of this stuff is in different areas... oh and it doesn't have mountains which would be nice...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:56 am

CliveStaples wrote:
kalvano wrote:

You heard wrong.
Don't listen to him/her... It all depends on what you like because Texas has beaches, nice lakes/rivers, great golf, great camping/hiking areas, some cool places where historical events took place. The biggest problem is because texas is so large most of this stuff is in different areas... oh and it doesn't have mountains which would be nice...

That doesn't make it "gorgeous", it just makes it less awful.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CliveStaples

New

Post by CliveStaples » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:05 pm

kalvano wrote:
CliveStaples wrote:
kalvano wrote:

You heard wrong.

That doesn't make it "gorgeous", it just makes it less awful.
Oh you know what you're right! If only this was a matter of opinion but thankfully you've changed my mind! gee thanks for that! :roll:

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:52 pm

kalvano wrote:

You heard wrong.
I have heard good things about Austin as a city (music/arts/food scene), but I have never once in my entire life--even when talking to Texans--heard the state of Texas described as even mildy attractive.

texas man

Bronze

Post by texas man » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:58 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I have heard good things about Austin as a city (music/arts/food scene), but I have never once in my entire life--even when talking to Texans--heard the state of Texas described as even mildy attractive.
That's because there is so much topographic diversity in Texas, describing the state of Texas as attractive wouldn't make sense. Most states are generally consistent topographically; west Texas (the panhandle especially) is dramatically different from east Texas (Tyler, Nacogdoches, etc.), and both are very different from southern Texas (below San Antonio). It's really like Texas comprises four states instead of one. I would describe central Texas as "attractive"— where the prairie meets the hill country—Austin is at this point. Depending on taste, some might find other areas attractive; San Antonio and surrounding areas are pretty nice; I've heard really positive things about Marfa; if you like the beach, South Padre might be attractive to you. There are many naturally beautiful places in Texas—for those curious, a guide to Texas might be helpful, and then there's always the internet.

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:02 pm

texas man wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I have heard good things about Austin as a city (music/arts/food scene), but I have never once in my entire life--even when talking to Texans--heard the state of Texas described as even mildy attractive.
That's because there is so much topographic diversity in Texas, describing the state of Texas as attractive wouldn't make sense. Most states are generally consistent topographically; west Texas (the panhandle especially) is dramatically different from east Texas (Tyler, Nacogdoches, etc.), and both are very different from southern Texas (below San Antonio). It's really like Texas comprises four states instead of one. I would describe central Texas as "attractive"— where the prairie meets the hill country—Austin is at this point. Depending on taste, some might find other areas attractive; San Antonio and surrounding areas are pretty nice; I've heard really positive things about Marfa; if you like the beach, South Padre might be attractive to you. There are many naturally beautiful places in Texas—for those curious, a guide to Texas might be helpful, and then there's always the internet.
THIS. You'd have to chop off my genitals to get me to live in West Texas but I have never seen a more beautiful place than the Texas Hill Country (not to mention the women who inhabit the region)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:11 pm

texas man wrote:
That's because there is so much topographic diversity in Texas, describing the state of Texas as attractive wouldn't make sense. Most states are generally consistent topographically;
I live in a place where I can get to the ocean in an hour, wine country in 15 minutes, a temperate old-growth rainforest in 30 minutes, a 11,000+ foot mountain with an 11-month ski season in 90 minutes, an active volcano in 90 minutes, a canyon with the best windsurfing in the world in 45 minutes, and the high desert in 2 hours. The only thing consistent about the topography here is that it's consistently awesome.

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:14 pm

CliveStaples wrote:
kalvano wrote:

You heard wrong.
The beaches are shit. Do not go to the beaches.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:16 pm

But I love brown foamy water and jellyfish!

texas man

Bronze

Post by texas man » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:39 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
texas man wrote:
That's because there is so much topographic diversity in Texas, describing the state of Texas as attractive wouldn't make sense. Most states are generally consistent topographically;
I live in a place where I can get to the ocean in an hour, wine country in 15 minutes, a temperate old-growth rainforest in 30 minutes, a 11,000+ foot mountain with an 11-month ski season in 90 minutes, an active volcano in 90 minutes, a canyon with the best windsurfing in the world in 45 minutes, and the high desert in 2 hours. The only thing consistent about the topography here is that it's consistently awesome.
Sounds like you live in a beautiful place. I've travelled through California quite a bit, and I enjoyed myself, especially on the coast (anywhere from the bay area to San Diego). I wasn't really impressed with Sacramento though; also, I wouldn't want to spend an extended period of time in the area west of Arizona and southern Nevada (Mojave Desert, etc.).

The point of my comment was not to say that you don't live in a beautiful place; it was reasoning why you might not have heard the state of Texas as a whole described as an "attractive" state. It is not because Texans think Texas is unattractive. Usually, people will comment that they love Texas, the area where they live is pretty, or something to that effect. I find Texas as a whole to be a beautiful state—I even like the panhandle. I also find California to be a beautiful state, but I prefer to live in Texas. Both are unique.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”