Worth it to visit east coast schools? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
SubwaySandwich

New

Worth it to visit east coast schools?

Post by SubwaySandwich » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:18 pm

I'm going to be abroad for all of next semester, so I'm thinking about visiting Harvard, Columbia, and NYU sometime this month. Haven't been accepted to any yet. I was wondering how much value you guys think a visit to these schools would have, it'll cost a decent chunk of change to do so. The alternative would just to "visit" using google street view / google earth. Thanks in advance for your opinions!

EDIT: I've never visited these schools before, nor have I been to New York / Cambridge before.

dextermorgan

Silver

Re: Worth it to visit east coast schools?

Post by dextermorgan » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:45 pm

SubwaySandwich wrote:I'm going to be abroad for all of next semester, so I'm thinking about visiting Harvard, Columbia, and NYU sometime this month. Haven't been accepted to any yet. I was wondering how much value you guys think a visit to these schools would have, it'll cost a decent chunk of change to do so. The alternative would just to "visit" using google street view / google earth. Thanks in advance for your opinions!

EDIT: I've never visited these schools before, nor have I been to New York / Cambridge before.
I'm not sure you would really get much out of a visit this month.

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:48 am

dextermorgan wrote:
SubwaySandwich wrote:I'm going to be abroad for all of next semester, so I'm thinking about visiting Harvard, Columbia, and NYU sometime this month. Haven't been accepted to any yet. I was wondering how much value you guys think a visit to these schools would have, it'll cost a decent chunk of change to do so. The alternative would just to "visit" using google street view / google earth. Thanks in advance for your opinions!

I'm not sure you would really get much out of a visit this month.
This is true, but like other schools this could also be an important "atmosphere" distinction to make, especially if you're trying to decide between $$/$$$ at NYU/CLS and a Harvard acceptance.

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:53 am

Deciding between CLS and NYU seems often times to come down to preference of atmosphere, so if it seems likely that those two schools may end up on the top of your list then I recommend visiting. If you're in at HYS then obviously visiting C and N are less of a factor, but if you haven't gotten into H by now then I wouldn't discount the possibility of a waitlist (Y and S are of course black boxes). Bottom line if choosing between C and N is a realistic end game for you then visit, if not then not visiting will not be a big deal.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:00 am

Hmm, since you haven't been admitted, I don't think it's a good idea because of financial and strategic reasons. Financially, some schools that you've been admitted to will reimburse/give a stipend to visit their school. Needless to say, you'd likely? be paying out of pocket.

Strategically, these schools did have specific dates throughout the fall semester to visit them, and those dates have all passed. None of the schools you've listed offer drop-in interviews, and I expect that the admissions officers are very busy at this time.

I'm assuming that you want to visit the school to make an impression on them; I think it's reasonable to do this only if you are waitlisted/they've requested a phone interview and you'd like to do it in person.

Best luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:22 am

glewz wrote:Hmm, since you haven't been admitted, I don't think it's a good idea because of financial and strategic reasons. Financially, some schools that you've been admitted to will reimburse/give a stipend to visit their school. Needless to say, you'd likely? be paying out of pocket.

Strategically, these schools did have specific dates throughout the fall semester to visit them, and those dates have all passed. None of the schools you've listed offer drop-in interviews, and I expect that the admissions officers are very busy at this time.

I'm assuming that you want to visit the school to make an impression on them; I think it's reasonable to do this only if you are waitlisted/they've requested a phone interview and you'd like to do it in person.

Best luck.
True, but if OP is going to be abroad all of next semester, obviously he is not going to be able to visit otherwise until he would have to make a decision. Also, I don't think it's fair to assume that he necessarily wants to make an impression on them; he/she could have any number of reasons to want to visit.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:19 am

T6Hopeful wrote:
glewz wrote:Hmm, since you haven't been admitted, I don't think it's a good idea because of financial and strategic reasons. Financially, some schools that you've been admitted to will reimburse/give a stipend to visit their school. Needless to say, you'd likely? be paying out of pocket.

Best luck.
True, but if OP is going to be abroad all of next semester, obviously he is not going to be able to visit otherwise until he would have to make a decision. Also, I don't think it's fair to assume that he necessarily wants to make an impression on them; he/she could have any number of reasons to want to visit.

oh shoot, totally overlooked him/her being abroad next sem. scratch that - go visit if you have the $&time

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:34 pm

It's all about the benjamins. Really. If you can afford it, do it. If the money is tight, you should wait for acceptances so you are not wasting $ visiting a school you cannot attend anyway.

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:03 pm

RJ127 wrote:It's all about the benjamins. Really. If you can afford it, do it. If the money is tight, you should wait for acceptances so you are not wasting $ visiting a school you cannot attend anyway.
Yeah, but again, he said he's studying abroad next semester, so that poses a problem when it comes time to commit to a school, where the deciding factor would be school atmosphere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Visits”