Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Post by Slimpee » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:28 pm

Paging JOThompson and Traekhat...

Ask away...

JOThompson

Silver

Re: Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Post by JOThompson » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:36 pm

Thanks for making this thread. <3 you, Slimpee.

I'll try to answer questions as frequently as possible, but things are getting crazy here.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:23 pm

Thanks guys! I actually think all my questions are answered for now. I'm sure I'll have plenty more should I get accepted into the program.

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:19 pm

I see how it is, excluding us other 1L's from helping....

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:01 pm

jaskat wrote:I see how it is, excluding us other 1L's from helping....
I'm not sure who the other 1Ls on here are in real life...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:28 am

What has OCI been like recently? What cities do the employers tend to be from? Is it pretty spread out across the midwest or generally just Chicago and St. Louis? If I go to Iowa, I may eventually look to get back to Ohio, or close to there - IN, w PA, MI. I've heard Iowa has portability within the midwest, but does it have portability that far?

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:58 pm

Is there any semblance of an LGBT community at Iowa?

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:26 pm

neonx wrote:Is there any semblance of an LGBT community at Iowa?
The LGBT student association has been pretty active...

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:20 am

How are you holding up with the current weather? Is current weather very typical of Iowa's winter?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:19 am

tea_drinker wrote:How are you holding up with the current weather? Is current weather very typical of Iowa's winter?
I'm from the west coast and have found the weather to be tolerable and sometimes even decent. However, I've been told that it's been unusually nice so far :P

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:48 pm

TommyK wrote:What has OCI been like recently? What cities do the employers tend to be from? Is it pretty spread out across the midwest or generally just Chicago and St. Louis? If I go to Iowa, I may eventually look to get back to Ohio, or close to there - IN, w PA, MI. I've heard Iowa has portability within the midwest, but does it have portability that far?

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:25 pm

TommyK wrote:
TommyK wrote:What has OCI been like recently? What cities do the employers tend to be from? Is it pretty spread out across the midwest or generally just Chicago and St. Louis? If I go to Iowa, I may eventually look to get back to Ohio, or close to there - IN, w PA, MI. I've heard Iowa has portability within the midwest, but does it have portability that far?
Honestly, I have been too concerned with getting through the semester to worry about OCI. There are 3L's who are getting jobs in Chicago and Minneapolis and one girl I talked to yesterday was interviewing for a firm in DC and for the Philly DA's office but that's all anecdotal...

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:07 pm

Slimpee wrote:
TommyK wrote:
Honestly, I have been too concerned with getting through the semester to worry about OCI. There are 3L's who are getting jobs in Chicago and Minneapolis and one girl I talked to yesterday was interviewing for a firm in DC and for the Philly DA's office but that's all anecdotal...
Thanks. Sorry - forgot this was 1Ls and it's not quite in their world yet. Good luck with exams.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:46 pm

JOThompson wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:How are you holding up with the current weather? Is current weather very typical of Iowa's winter?
I'm from the west coast and have found the weather to be tolerable and sometimes even decent. However, I've been told that it's been unusually nice so far :P

I heard you guys finally got Iowa winter weather... How are you holding up now?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:45 pm

chrisbru wrote:
JOThompson wrote:

I heard you guys finally got Iowa winter weather... How are you holding up now?
It is ridiculously cold now. I think it got as low as -11 the other day, and that isn't even counting the wind chill. I don't care where you are from, -11 is miserable.

jam88

New

Post by jam88 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:25 am

What conlaw book do you use?

Also, do you ever get sick of having everything all in one building?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:36 am

jam88 wrote:What conlaw book do you use?

Also, do you ever get sick of having everything all in one building?
Depends on the professor. There are 3 teaching Con Law right now, 2 use Chemerinsky and 1 uses Sullivan & Gunther.

Obviously haven't everything in one building is convenient and I would probably complain more if it weren't this way, but yeah, it does get old after a while. I think what really does it is the fact that the law building is on the other side of the river, so you almost never come in contact with other academic buildings unless you go out of your way to (or you live by them).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:04 pm

Do you think it would be possible to negotiate my stipulations out of my scholarship offer? Or negotiate them lower? I *plan* on staying top 1/3rd, but I'd like some reassurance in case my mom gets sick like she did during UG.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:13 pm

chrisbru wrote:Do you think it would be possible to negotiate my stipulations out of my scholarship offer? Or negotiate them lower? I *plan* on staying top 1/3rd, but I'd like some reassurance in case my mom gets sick like she did during UG.
I know there are some students with scholarships who do not have the stipulation, so at least that shows that it is POSSIBLE to have a scholarship without a stipulation. From what I can tell it is rare, however. I can't say much about scholarship negotiation other than it couldn't hurt.

As a side, you are right to try and negotiate it. I get the feeling some may think it is just being a bit of a pest, but that 1/3 requirement actually translates to a lot of money. I think it is an underrated factor people consider when choosing a school, especially since everyone thinks they will be AT LEAST top third.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:36 pm

Thoughts on Benton Manor? Looks to be in the right part of town, the right price, and they take dogs... Both of mine, from what it sounds like.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”