Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Postby Slimpee » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:28 pm

Paging JOThompson and Traekhat...

Ask away...

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Postby JOThompson » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:36 pm

Thanks for making this thread. <3 you, Slimpee.

I'll try to answer questions as frequently as possible, but things are getting crazy here.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Postby TommyK » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:23 pm

Thanks guys! I actually think all my questions are answered for now. I'm sure I'll have plenty more should I get accepted into the program.

User avatar
jaskat
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Postby jaskat » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:19 pm

I see how it is, excluding us other 1L's from helping....

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Postby Slimpee » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:01 pm

jaskat wrote:I see how it is, excluding us other 1L's from helping....


I'm not sure who the other 1Ls on here are in real life...

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Postby TommyK » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:28 am

What has OCI been like recently? What cities do the employers tend to be from? Is it pretty spread out across the midwest or generally just Chicago and St. Louis? If I go to Iowa, I may eventually look to get back to Ohio, or close to there - IN, w PA, MI. I've heard Iowa has portability within the midwest, but does it have portability that far?

neonx
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Postby neonx » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:58 pm

Is there any semblance of an LGBT community at Iowa?

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Postby Slimpee » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:26 pm

neonx wrote:Is there any semblance of an LGBT community at Iowa?


The LGBT student association has been pretty active...

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Postby tea_drinker » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:20 am

How are you holding up with the current weather? Is current weather very typical of Iowa's winter?

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Postby JOThompson » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:19 am

tea_drinker wrote:How are you holding up with the current weather? Is current weather very typical of Iowa's winter?

I'm from the west coast and have found the weather to be tolerable and sometimes even decent. However, I've been told that it's been unusually nice so far :P

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Postby TommyK » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:48 pm

TommyK wrote:What has OCI been like recently? What cities do the employers tend to be from? Is it pretty spread out across the midwest or generally just Chicago and St. Louis? If I go to Iowa, I may eventually look to get back to Ohio, or close to there - IN, w PA, MI. I've heard Iowa has portability within the midwest, but does it have portability that far?

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Postby Slimpee » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:25 pm

TommyK wrote:
TommyK wrote:What has OCI been like recently? What cities do the employers tend to be from? Is it pretty spread out across the midwest or generally just Chicago and St. Louis? If I go to Iowa, I may eventually look to get back to Ohio, or close to there - IN, w PA, MI. I've heard Iowa has portability within the midwest, but does it have portability that far?


Honestly, I have been too concerned with getting through the semester to worry about OCI. There are 3L's who are getting jobs in Chicago and Minneapolis and one girl I talked to yesterday was interviewing for a firm in DC and for the Philly DA's office but that's all anecdotal...

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Postby TommyK » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:07 pm

Slimpee wrote:
TommyK wrote:
TommyK wrote:What has OCI been like recently? What cities do the employers tend to be from? Is it pretty spread out across the midwest or generally just Chicago and St. Louis? If I go to Iowa, I may eventually look to get back to Ohio, or close to there - IN, w PA, MI. I've heard Iowa has portability within the midwest, but does it have portability that far?


Honestly, I have been too concerned with getting through the semester to worry about OCI. There are 3L's who are getting jobs in Chicago and Minneapolis and one girl I talked to yesterday was interviewing for a firm in DC and for the Philly DA's office but that's all anecdotal...


Thanks. Sorry - forgot this was 1Ls and it's not quite in their world yet. Good luck with exams.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Postby chrisbru » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:46 pm

JOThompson wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:How are you holding up with the current weather? Is current weather very typical of Iowa's winter?

I'm from the west coast and have found the weather to be tolerable and sometimes even decent. However, I've been told that it's been unusually nice so far :P



I heard you guys finally got Iowa winter weather... How are you holding up now?

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Postby traehekat » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:45 pm

chrisbru wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
tea_drinker wrote:How are you holding up with the current weather? Is current weather very typical of Iowa's winter?

I'm from the west coast and have found the weather to be tolerable and sometimes even decent. However, I've been told that it's been unusually nice so far :P



I heard you guys finally got Iowa winter weather... How are you holding up now?


It is ridiculously cold now. I think it got as low as -11 the other day, and that isn't even counting the wind chill. I don't care where you are from, -11 is miserable.

jam88
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:39 pm

Re: Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Postby jam88 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:25 am

What conlaw book do you use?

Also, do you ever get sick of having everything all in one building?

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Postby traehekat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:36 am

jam88 wrote:What conlaw book do you use?

Also, do you ever get sick of having everything all in one building?


Depends on the professor. There are 3 teaching Con Law right now, 2 use Chemerinsky and 1 uses Sullivan & Gunther.

Obviously haven't everything in one building is convenient and I would probably complain more if it weren't this way, but yeah, it does get old after a while. I think what really does it is the fact that the law building is on the other side of the river, so you almost never come in contact with other academic buildings unless you go out of your way to (or you live by them).

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Postby chrisbru » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:04 pm

Do you think it would be possible to negotiate my stipulations out of my scholarship offer? Or negotiate them lower? I *plan* on staying top 1/3rd, but I'd like some reassurance in case my mom gets sick like she did during UG.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Postby traehekat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:13 pm

chrisbru wrote:Do you think it would be possible to negotiate my stipulations out of my scholarship offer? Or negotiate them lower? I *plan* on staying top 1/3rd, but I'd like some reassurance in case my mom gets sick like she did during UG.


I know there are some students with scholarships who do not have the stipulation, so at least that shows that it is POSSIBLE to have a scholarship without a stipulation. From what I can tell it is rare, however. I can't say much about scholarship negotiation other than it couldn't hurt.

As a side, you are right to try and negotiate it. I get the feeling some may think it is just being a bit of a pest, but that 1/3 requirement actually translates to a lot of money. I think it is an underrated factor people consider when choosing a school, especially since everyone thinks they will be AT LEAST top third.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: Iowa 1Ls c/o 2013 taking questions

Postby chrisbru » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:36 pm

Thoughts on Benton Manor? Looks to be in the right part of town, the right price, and they take dogs... Both of mine, from what it sounds like.




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest