Los Angeles Visit this Week

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Midnight Rider

Los Angeles Visit this Week

Postby Midnight Rider » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:13 pm

Evening all. I'm headed from the East Coast to Los Angeles for a couple of days but don't have a full slate of business. I'm checking out Pepperdine and Loyola as far as schools. Anyone have any suggestions while I'm there for things to see/do? Alternately, any requests for me to ask or check out while I'm there? Hey, Loyola has that pro-bono requirement, so I may as well start doing some charity work for my fellow TLSers.

Also, if anyone is bored enough to meet up with someone from the internetz and show them a local spot or two, I am also down, as I have some free time and know essentially nothing about LA or either school. I have been rated as somewhat to moderately cool, attractive and entertaining by a jury of my peers.

octneedy

Re: Los Angeles Visit this Week

Postby octneedy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:53 am

Pepperdine is in Malibu and on the way there, crossing Calabasas, there isn't that much stuff to do. Def check out Malibu area though, lots of beautiful scenery. Loyola will have more entertainment options closeby since it's in Downtown LA. I'd suggest checking out that area, esp J-Town, K-Town, and LA Live. Also, if you plan on visiting UCLA, the Getty's just a little north of that and admission is free for everyone. Feel free to PM me if you want more specific restaurant recs...So Cal's pretty big and so it'll all depend on what area you're interested in.

mst

Postby mst » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:44 am

I did this trip recently, but LA is not really like NY or Chicago in the sense that there's a ton of stuff to do in a small area. I would really suggest to rent a car and see the Getty Museum, take a drive around the Rodeo neighborhood and Beverly Hills & the Hollywood sign (that's always fun but it's a bit out of the way). Personally, when I visit, I try and take a scenic drive as far up the Pacific Coast Highway as I can, through Malibu, etc. Beautiful scenery. Santa Monica pier is touristy, but not something I would do alone. If you're with someone, it can be fun to try and score tickets to a studio recording of one of the shows or a Lakers game or something along that line. Certain points in the mountains to the east of the city offer some excellent views, but on a clear day you can get a good view of the city from the Getty terrace so I would just do that. Also, if you have an entire day to kill and a little money to blow, a day trip to Catalina is supposedly worth it. I keep trying to do it but get screwed over due to weather or schedule. Honestly, once you fly in and grab a car, you can do Loyola & Downtown/Hollywood/Rodeo all in a day, and on another you can get Pepperdine & PCH and Malibu done the next day in a couple hours (takes a little bit to drive out there from anywhere in the city) with time to spare to see the Getty if you'd like, as it's not too far from Malibu. Enjoy!

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:19 am

1. Check out Runyon Canyon for hiking and amazing views of the city from Santa Monica to the cesspool that is downtown LA. If you are starstruck this is a place frequented by celebrities out jogging/hiking. It was prob one of my fav places to go when I lived there.
2. On your way back from Pepperdine stop by Dukes and/or Moonshadows for lunch or early dinner. Both sit right on the ocean!
3. After Runyon, stop by Bossanova (on Sunset), order sangria and the Bossa Salad. This is w/in walking distance of Roosevelt Hotel, Hollywood Blvd, Kodak Theatre, etc.
4. I'm assuming you will be staying in the West LA area based on your schools. Big Wangs (in Hollywood) is a great place to watch Florida Gator football (if thats your thing, but if its not...it should be)
5. LA, although seriously lacking the vibe of a NYC, Chicago or San Francisco, certainly has a lot to offer just about anybody due to its sprawl and pockets of pretty cool areas from Downtown to the beaches (Santa Monica) and from the hills all the way down to the more laid back areas of Redondo, Hermossa and Manhattan Beaches (if you have time, these 3 are probably my favorite spots for day drinking, people watching and hot chicks)
6. Typing this makes me want to move back to SoCal.....
7. PM me if you have any specific questions (I tried to do it all during my 4 years there)

Midnight Rider

Postby Midnight Rider » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:29 pm

Thanks for the advice, y'all. And Tim, I thought this would be the year where I could talk smack to Gator fans, but once again it was not to be. Just glad I didn't go down to JAX and get disappointed once more.

As far as the trip, I talked my way into a convertible at Enterprise last night at 10PM, so I'm thinking the PCH drive is going to be great today. I've got a tour of Pepperdine scheduled this afternoon and am going to swing by Dukes or Moonshadows for lunch before. I'm headed back into Burbank to have dinner with some Disney people and plaintiff attorneys this evening that I know from work. Looking for some Burbank or nearby (cab range) recommendations for evening activity. People are saying go to Universal. Thoughts?

I have Loyola scheduled for Friday and I'm going to try and see some of the city before/after. I'm rolling the dice and going with a friend of a friend to a house party and will then try and do the Hollywood/West Hollywood thing. Any must see bars/clubs that don't require 20 female companions or VIP?

Staying in a different hotel in Marina Del Ray for the weekend. I am for sure doing the Runyon Canyon jog to try and recover from Friday night and basically just figure on getting a tan at the beach until I leave on Sunday.

samfii

Postby samfii » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:57 am

check out venice beach, it's close to santa monica.
I know you're not visiting UCLA Law, but Westwood village in general is a college area and it's pretty cool to go to bars and stuff.
i'm not sure if you're a guy or girl but if you're a girl go shopping at the Beverly Center in beverly hills it's pretty nice/big.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:18 am

You are about a month late

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”