Encouraging Staff -- Believe Them? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
ChemistryMatters

New

Encouraging Staff -- Believe Them?

Post by ChemistryMatters » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:16 pm

I've been on a few visits and made a few phone calls and have asked admissions staff if they generally think -- all things considered -- that I should feel reasonably comfortable applying to their school with my numbers. If they are encouraging, should I believe their opinion (that I should feel confident)? Or is it standard practice to tell everyone they have a good shot? I know about LSN and law school predictor but I have other factors (grad degree, URM,WE, etc).

sophia.olive

Silver

Re: Encouraging Staff -- Believe Them?

Post by sophia.olive » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:17 pm

ChemistryMatters wrote:I've been on a few visits and made a few phone calls and have asked admissions staff if they generally think -- all things considered -- that I should feel reasonably comfortable applying to their school with my numbers. If they are encouraging, should I believe their opinion (that I should feel confident)? Or is it standard practice to tell everyone they have a good shot? I know about LSN and law school predictor but I have other factors (grad degree, URM,WE, etc).
give us numbers and schools and we can tell you.

kendraston

New

Post by kendraston » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:40 am

ChemistryMatters wrote:I've been on a few visits and made a few phone calls and have asked admissions staff if they generally think -- all things considered -- that I should feel reasonably comfortable applying to their school with my numbers. If they are encouraging, should I believe their opinion (that I should feel confident)? Or is it standard practice to tell everyone they have a good shot? I know about LSN and law school predictor but I have other factors (grad degree, URM,WE, etc).
I bet you think strippers really like you too.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:44 am

kendraston wrote:
I bet you think strippers really like you too.
I'm not really saying anything...,but I have a friend who was applying to grad school and she emailed and told them about herself. They told her that she was not the type of person they were looking for.
So just apply.
And give us those numbers and schools.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:53 am

Maybe.. you just have a very sexy voice and they can't say no to you. :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:23 pm

If I was a urm with numbers above 3.0 and 160 I would apply everywhere. URM's are so unpredictable.

ChemistryMatters

New

Post by ChemistryMatters » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:54 pm

My numbers are 3.1 and 163. I'm particularly interested in University of Washington and George Washington (I'm restricted to certain locations due to my husband's employment). I'm a second generation American (URM Mexican/Latino). I had to support my ill parents during UG. I have an MS (research based) in engineering from a top 10 school and work experience.

When applying to graduate school, some schools bluntly told me that my UGPA was way too low. I applied to one of them anyway and was accepted (after submitting an addendum detailing my family circumstances).

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:01 pm

of course the admissions staff is going to be encouraging you to apply. Thats a major part of their job discription- get as many people as possible to apply, so they can be more selective.

Dont look too far into your grad degree. I too have one , with a 3.96 gpa, and im considering it to be almost worthless. Sure, it may be a nice conversation piece, or a very very slight boost to my application, but its not going to help that much. Your undergrad gpa, and lsat, and a distant third your personal statment will be the driving force behind the decision the admissions committee will make in regards to your appliaction. Think of everything else as the options. IF they dont like the make and model of the car ( your lsat and gpa), they wont even consider the options ( your softs) If they like your application- then they may consider your softs. if they absolutely love your numbers, then your in, regardless of your softs ( unless they are hideously horrible)

ChemistryMatters

New

Post by ChemistryMatters » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:57 pm

I have heard that a grad degree can be a bit of a boost if the applicant wants to go into patent law (which I do) because success as an attorney is measured differently (and depends on different factors) than in other areas of law. And, to be honest, I've heard an engineering MS is very different than an MS in say, communications. I've also heard time out of UG can help mitigate the UGPA...though I know my LSAT is no where near as high as it would need to be to be of much help.

Opinions on any of this?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:01 pm

it really depends on the school, and what your graduate degree is in. If its something that can be useful to a legal career, then it would help you more than if you earned a master degree in cheese tasting

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:02 am

If I was you, I would definitely go for those schools you mentioned. I mean who knows? and why not? and you may have a great chance, you just don't know till you try.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:31 pm

URM with those numbers is hard to predict. But you definitely have a shot and it's definitely worth an app to those schools mentioned.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”