Law School Admissions 101 at Sidley Austin LLP (October 14)

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
ahduth

Law School Admissions 101 at Sidley Austin LLP (October 14)

Postby ahduth » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:00 am

This thing was pretty fun. Deans Post, Perry and Zearfoss, from Penn, Chicago and Michigan law schools respectively, led a group discussion of 3 hypothetical applicantions to a hypothetical law school. I don't think there was anything particularly surprising, but it did clarify the process for me.

The one point it really drove home was that, while LSAT and GPA may be the most important parts of your admissions profile, they're also the most easily digested - LSAT is one or maybe two or three numbers, and with GPA they just look at the raw number and then for an upward trend and the diversity/difficulty of courses. The entire remainder of their time is then spent reading your personal statement, LSAT writing sample, resume, letters of recommendation and addenda, and they evaluate how these fit together along with your "numbers." Basically they will spend the majority of the time reviewing these components, so the good news is you do seem to have a fair bit of input into how your numbers are evaluated. Terrible numbers are still terrible, but median numbers can be bumped up in the pile.

I'd recommend going to one of these mock admissions committee things if they're having one local to you. Pretty amusing, and a good chance to meet the deans as well.

Also if any of you drew pictures on your LSAT writing sample... bad move. :D

r6_philly

Re: Law School Admissions 101 at Sidley Austin LLP (October 14)

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:08 pm

How do you find out if there is one near you?

op-ti

Postby op-ti » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:How do you find out if there is one near you?

I'm interested in finding out as well.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:39 pm

They sent me an email - they'd pulled my info via CRS. I'd call Penn admissions and ask them - the deans gave me the impression it was the three of them who had been doing it, and it was coordinated by Penn's admissions department. They said they'd been in New York and DC, don't know how many of these they do. I'd again recommend attending one - hearing their responses to people's questions and seeing the nature of their interactions... some of these questions for which TLS likes to think they have cut and dried answers (how resumes, LORs, addenda, etc. are handled) are not nearly as cut and dried as you might think.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:29 pm

ahduth wrote:They sent me an email - they'd pulled my info via CRS. I'd call Penn admissions and ask them - the deans gave me the impression it was the three of them who had been doing it, and it was coordinated by Penn's admissions department. They said they'd been in New York and DC, don't know how many of these they do. I'd again recommend attending one - hearing their responses to people's questions and seeing the nature of their interactions... some of these questions for which TLS likes to think they have cut and dried answers (how resumes, LORs, addenda, etc. are handled) are not nearly as cut and dried as you might think.

It's funny then, Penn's pre-law advising doesn't list this...

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:21 pm

Yeah, I only saw it listed on Chicago's website. Like I said, it was a CRS mailing, might not be open invite. I dunno.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:23 pm

ahduth wrote:This thing was pretty fun. Deans Post, Perry and Zearfoss, from Penn, Chicago and Michigan law schools respectively, led a group discussion of 3 hypothetical applicantions to a hypothetical law school. I don't think there was anything particularly surprising, but it did clarify the process for me.

The one point it really drove home was that, while LSAT and GPA may be the most important parts of your admissions profile, they're also the most easily digested - LSAT is one or maybe two or three numbers, and with GPA they just look at the raw number and then for an upward trend and the diversity/difficulty of courses. The entire remainder of their time is then spent reading your personal statement, LSAT writing sample, resume, letters of recommendation and addenda, and they evaluate how these fit together along with your "numbers." Basically they will spend the majority of the time reviewing these components, so the good news is you do seem to have a fair bit of input into how your numbers are evaluated. Terrible numbers are still terrible, but median numbers can be bumped up in the pile.

I'd recommend going to one of these mock admissions committee things if they're having one local to you. Pretty amusing, and a good chance to meet the deans as well.

Also if any of you drew pictures on your LSAT writing sample... bad move. :D

The penguin example?
They like that.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”