Visited Lewis & Clark today Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
rinkrat19

Diamond

Visited Lewis & Clark today

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:21 am

I visited L+C after work today, and had a 30-min one-on-one with an adcom, a campus tour with a current 1L and one other prospective, and sat in on a 2-hour Torts class.

I live here already, so this came as no surprise, but...late afternoon on a sunny fall day in Portland, on a campus practically engulfed in forest. Gorgeous. Definitely showed L+C to its best advantage, right down to the trail through the woods that we walked from the library back to the main admin building.

Got all my niggling little questions about the application and app process answered by the adcom, which was great. She remembered me from a prospective evening student info session a month ago, which I hope is a good thing. :)

The class was good, too. L+C's version of the Socratic method doesn't make anyone cry, at least from what I got to see. Plenty of comfortable joking back and forth between the students and the prof, and he waited patiently for a reasonable moment if the student he called on couldn't immediately spit out the facts of the case, before giving them a prompt. Torts is a 1L class, but they are 6 weeks into the term and I followed everything just fine. I had visions of trying to comprehend lectures delivered half in Latin, but this Prof was very clear.

So here's hoping I get a kickass score back from Saturday's test and get some nice $$ tossed my way, because it's L+C or nothing! (I'm not moving.)

Adjudicator

Silver

Re: Visited Lewis & Clark today

Post by Adjudicator » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:24 am

I live in the Pacific NW and I have visited Lewis & Clark before, and I will vouch for them having the most beautiful campus of any law school I've ever seen.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:33 am

each professor is different though...I wouldn't generalize about L&C's take on the Socratic method

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:39 am

General Tso wrote:each professor is different though...I wouldn't generalize about L&C's take on the Socratic method
In my conversations with the adcom and the 1L, they both agreed with my impression that classes at L+C aren't horribly intimidating. The adcom said "this isn't One L or Paper Chase."

So yes, I only saw one proff teaching a first-year class for 2 hours, but there is other supporting evidence. :wink:

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:07 am

Adjudicator wrote:I live in the Pacific NW and I have visited Lewis & Clark before, and I will vouch for them having the most beautiful campus of any law school I've ever seen.
The 2- and 3-story walls of windows looking out on solid trees are spectacular. You almost forget about the building itself, it's so much all about the surroundings. I can see that being a nice little bonus on the days when you're freaking out about the workload...just look out the window and take a breath. The seminar classroom I saw had a narrow strip of window along the ceiling at the front of the room, just enough that you could see a slice of the trees outside.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:13 am

rinkrat19 wrote:The 2- and 3-story walls of windows looking out on solid trees are spectacular. You almost forget about the building itself, it's so much all about the surroundings. I can see that being a nice little bonus on the days when you're freaking out about the workload...just look out the window and take a breath. The seminar classroom I saw had a narrow strip of window along the ceiling at the front of the room, just enough that you could see a slice of the trees outside.
I took a tour of the campus, and it was my impression that at any given place on the campus, odds are that you could look out a window and see the forest. It is omnipresent.

I would love to study law in a setting like that. Their amphitheater was awesome, too. Best campus ever. Really isolated and peaceful.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:09 am

Waiting for the pictures.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:47 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
General Tso wrote:each professor is different though...I wouldn't generalize about L&C's take on the Socratic method
In my conversations with the adcom and the 1L, they both agreed with my impression that classes at L+C aren't horribly intimidating. The adcom said "this isn't One L or Paper Chase[/i]."

So yes, I only saw one proff teaching a first-year class for 2 hours, but there is other supporting evidence. :wink:

Yeah, because that was harvard

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:06 am

sophia.olive wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
In my conversations with the adcom and the 1L, they both agreed with my impression that classes at L+C aren't horribly intimidating. The adcom said "this isn't One L or Paper Chase[/i]."

Obvious commenter is obvious.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blah...

New

Post by blah... » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:36 am

Seriously, pictures

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:16 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Obvious commenter is obvious.

Stupid meme is stupid.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:33 pm

General Tso wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Obvious commenter is obvious.
Stupid meme is stupid.
...and thus perfectly matches the comment to which it was directed.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:43 pm

blah... wrote:Seriously, pictures
I didn't take any yesterday. With more students around, I didn't want to look like a tourist.
All I have are a couple of crappy phone pictures taken on a cloudier day about a month ago when I was there on a Saturday.

Inside the Legal Research Center (really no idea why it's called that, because it's more of an admin building). The lower level where all the chairs are set up is usually the law student lounge, with cafe tables. Professors' offices, bookstore, coffee shop, admin offices, either behind the camera or upstairs.

Amphitheater and walkway between LRC and one end of Boley Library.
--ImageRemoved--

Standing under the walkway, looking at Boley. I was trying to show how the building extends into the woods.

And google image search found this one (I think from the website of the company that installed some of the A/V equipment), which kinda shows the window that some of the classrooms have. (Rotten photo.)
--ImageRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blah...

New

Post by blah... » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:23 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
blah... wrote:Seriously, pictures
I didn't take any yesterday. With more students around, I didn't want to look like a tourist.
All I have are a couple of crappy phone pictures taken on a cloudier day about a month ago when I was there on a Saturday.

Inside the Legal Research Center (really no idea why it's called that, because it's more of an admin building). The lower level where all the chairs are set up is usually the law student lounge, with cafe tables. Professors' offices, bookstore, coffee shop, admin offices, either behind the camera or upstairs.

Amphitheater and walkway between LRC and one end of Boley Library.
--ImageRemoved--

Standing under the walkway, looking at Boley. I was trying to show how the building extends into the woods.

And google image search found this one (I think from the website of the company that installed some of the A/V equipment), which kinda shows the window that some of the classrooms have. (Rotten photo.)
--ImageRemoved--

*Includes application in list of schools applying to

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:40 pm

It really is stunning. Those pictures above confirm my claim that you can look out a window and see forest from any room on campus.

And the law school is completely separate from the rest of the college; it is down the street and set back into this forest setting. It is sequestered like a law monastery.

blah...

New

Post by blah... » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:42 pm

I visited Oregon a few years ago and couldnt believe the amount of trees everywhere. (Im from Dallas) Does it really rain as much as people say it does?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:21 pm

Rain? Yes and no. In terms of inches, we get less rain than a lot of the country. In terms of consecutive days where you won't see the sun, it really is like they say. There will usually be a couple of 3- to 4-week stretches in the winter when some water will fall from the sky every day, even if it's just .02". Or we'll go through a couple of weeks where it rains every night and you might see sun or just bright clouds during the day. It's not the amount of rain that bothers non-natives, it's the number of rainy days. But it is totally worth it to me, when the trees and grass are still green well into fall. We don't have a brown season--we transition directly from green to grey. :)

You can always tell a tourist or a non-native by whether they're carrying an umbrella in Portland. We simply don't bother, 99% of the time. That's why god invented Gore-Tex.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:26 pm

blah... wrote:I visited Oregon a few years ago and couldnt believe the amount of trees everywhere. (Im from Dallas) Does it really rain as much as people say it does?
I lived in Oregon for 2 years and it is nice enough, but it is total weaksauce compared to Washington. :) You want to see lots of rain and tons of trees? Check out the Olympic Peninsula, or even just Seattle.

Washington represent!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:20 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
blah... wrote:I visited Oregon a few years ago and couldnt believe the amount of trees everywhere. (Im from Dallas) Does it really rain as much as people say it does?
I lived in Oregon for 2 years and it is nice enough, but it is total weaksauce compared to Washington. :) You want to see lots of rain and tons of trees? Check out the Olympic Peninsula, or even just Seattle.

Washington represent!
I was born on the Peninsula, and I can vouch for its rainyness and trees. And traffic. :wink:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”