U Iowa Law School

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Amir N

Re: U Iowa Law School

Postby Amir N » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:57 pm

brupe wrote:Is everybody still "In Progress" like me?

Yes.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:10 pm

Amir N wrote:

Yes.

If last year is any indicator, I wouldn't expect any major decision batches until late November or early December.

brupe

Postby brupe » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:07 pm

Grrrrrrrr, that's so frustrating!

Amir N

Postby Amir N » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:26 pm

JOThompson wrote:
Amir N wrote:

Yes.

If last year is any indicator, I wouldn't expect any major decision batches until late November or early December.

Looks like a major decision batch occurred around November 20th last cycle.

Spinozist21

Postby Spinozist21 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:57 pm

Amir N wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
Amir N wrote:

Yes.

Looks like a major decision batch occurred around November 20th last cycle.

Well, I am not going to be part of that batch as I just submitted two days ago. :lol:

brupe

Postby brupe » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:33 pm

Any news out there yet? Is there another thread for this topic that i dont know about?

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:14 pm

brupe wrote:Any news out there yet? Is there another thread for this topic that i dont know about?

The first wave of acceptances went out a few days ago. Here's the other Iowa thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=133360

Underground404

Postby Underground404 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:09 pm

How well does Iowa place into the Chicago legal market. I know that things aren't going so well right now, but have Iowa grads been able to successfully compete with U Chicago, Northwestern, Illinois, Notre Dame, etc. for jobs there? Additionally, what type of alumni pull is in Chicago that Iowa grads can count on?

I come from a medium-sized city (Columbus, Ohio) and was wondering how difficult it might be to adjust to life in Iowa City.

Thanks in advance! :)

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:13 pm

Underground404 wrote:How well does Iowa place into the Chicago legal market. I know that things aren't going so well right now, but have Iowa grads been able to successfully compete with U Chicago, Northwestern, Illinois, Notre Dame, etc. for jobs there? Additionally, what type of alumni pull is in Chicago that Iowa grads can count on?

I come from a medium-sized city (Columbus, Ohio) and was wondering how difficult it might be to adjust to life in Iowa City.

Thanks in advance! :)

Iowa did reasonably well in Chicago in boom times, but now its rough. The whole Chicago legal market is getting killed and most of the SA positions that are left are going to T14 grads. Chicago certainly isn't outside of the realm of possibility, particularly if you do well, but going to Iowa counting on Chicago Biglaw would be nuts.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:08 pm

hawkeye22 wrote:
Iowa did reasonably well in Chicago in boom times, but now its rough. The whole Chicago legal market is getting killed and most of the SA positions that are left are going to T14 grads. Chicago certainly isn't outside of the realm of possibility, particularly if you do well, but going to Iowa counting on Chicago Biglaw would be nuts.

Where do a lot of Hawkeyes end up working? I'd like to end up in Minneapolis or Denver, with Kansas City and Des Moines as fallbacks... But I do love the University of Iowa, so I don't want to rule it out just because I want to work elsewhere!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:47 am

chrisbru wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:

Where do a lot of Hawkeyes end up working? I'd like to end up in Minneapolis or Denver, with Kansas City and Des Moines as fallbacks... But I do love the University of Iowa, so I don't want to rule it out just because I want to work elsewhere!

Des Moines and Minneapolis are definite possibilities. A handful go to St. Louis every year. Less go to KC and even fewer to Denver.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:23 pm

typ3 wrote:
Des Moines and Minneapolis are definite possibilities. A handful go to St. Louis every year. Less go to KC and even fewer to Denver.

I'd prefer Minneapolis over DSM (and really don't want to go to Chicago if I can help it!) DSM wouldn't be awful by any means though.

ETA: Citizen Lawyer Program? Any opinions on this?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:11 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:

I'd prefer Minneapolis over DSM (and really don't want to go to Chicago if I can help it!) DSM wouldn't be awful by any means though.

ETA: Citizen Lawyer Program? Any opinions on this?

You should have no problem getting a job in minneapolis or the burbs there in 4 years (expecting the economy stabilizes). I can't guarantee you'll get a job at a large firm there, but plenty of mid/smalls hire iowa grads. Plus you'll probably have the edge of W&M and Hammie grads.

Best thing I heard recently was from a W&M new grad complaining about grads from UofM getting all the jobs and even her class mates losing out to kids at Iowa... Her fault for going to a TTT school :lol:

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:09 pm

typ3 wrote:Best thing I heard recently was from a W&M new grad complaining about grads from UofM getting all the jobs and even her class mates losing out to kids at Iowa... Her fault for going to a TTT school :lol:

Technically William Mitchell is 2nd Tier (98th)... But that's being nitpicky :-) I'm totally ok with mid/small firms, as long as it pays the rent, booze, student loans, and food... In that order.

Can anyone comment on the possibility of lowering or removing the top 1/3 requirement from scholarships? WUSTL and St. Thomas have a "good academic standing" requirement instead, and this sounds preferable.

Posted in multiple Iowa threads, sorry!

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:09 am

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:Best thing I heard recently was from a W&M new grad complaining about grads from UofM getting all the jobs and even her class mates losing out to kids at Iowa... Her fault for going to a TTT school :lol:

Technically William Mitchell is 2nd Tier (98th)... But that's being nitpicky :-) I'm totally ok with mid/small firms, as long as it pays the rent, booze, student loans, and food... In that order.

Can anyone comment on the possibility of lowering or removing the top 1/3 requirement from scholarships? WUSTL and St. Thomas have a "good academic standing" requirement instead, and this sounds preferable.

Posted in multiple Iowa threads, sorry!

For Iowa they will not remove the stipulation as far as I know of. The 1L's etc that I've talked to that don't have it were given the scholarship without the stipulation attached. I mean you could try to negotiate it, but it might be hard as a splitter :-/ If you were URM or something I would say absolutely it would be possible. Traehatkat might know best from asking around.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:16 pm

typ3 wrote:
For Iowa they will not remove the stipulation as far as I know of. The 1L's etc that I've talked to that don't have it were given the scholarship without the stipulation attached. I mean you could try to negotiate it, but it might be hard as a splitter :-/ If you were URM or something I would say absolutely it would be possible. Traehatkat might know best from asking around.

I'm hoping that I can use the same reasoning as my addendum for my GPA... My mom has tons of health issues (breast cancer survivor, heart attack survivor, type I diabetes) and I'm worried that she'll get sick and end up in the hospital again, causing me to fall behind in grades. When she was in the hospital when I was in undergrad, I spent 3 nights a week with her. Granted, it was a 35 minute drive instead of 2 hours, so it would probably be more like every weekend instead of weeknights, but it could hurt my grades.

Can anyone think of a good way to word that? Or, do you know if they are willing to take appeals if I DID fall below the top 1/3 due to this circumstance?

PS - Class of 2014 Facebook Group
If you think you're going to attend, you should join!
http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/home.p ... 87342&ap=1

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:11 pm

chrisbru wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:

Iowa grads go primarily to jobs in Iowa and secondary midwestern markets. We also send an abnormally high number of people to Arizona for reasons I don't quite understand. We send a few to Colorado as well, actually just finished speaking w/ a firm there regarding a 1L SA.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:16 pm

hawkeye22 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
hawkeye22 wrote:

Iowa grads go primarily to jobs in Iowa and secondary midwestern markets. We also send an abnormally high number of people to Arizona for reasons I don't quite understand. We send a few to Colorado as well, actually just finished speaking w/ a firm there regarding a 1L SA.

Colorado and Arizona are the Iowa dream! None of us want to go to the coasts, really... So we opt for the Colorado outdoorsy dream, or the sun-swept dream of Arizona.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”