U Iowa Law School

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Barbie

Re: U Iowa Law School

Postby Barbie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:22 pm

HopefullyLaw wrote:"You need not, however, disclose speeding or parking violations."

I had more than a handful when I was younger, and I called and she said its best to just disclose everything if you are at all worried, so I did...

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:37 am

You won't be kept out of law school for parking or speed tickets unless you're an extreme scofflaw.

It's best to disclose and not raise any questions later on.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:46 am

I visited Iowa's campus within the last eighteen months. The campus is beautiful, divided by a river & Iowa City is a great college town.

dstr15

Postby dstr15 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:14 am

-
Last edited by dstr15 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:55 pm

dstr15 wrote:Has anybody else received their Hawk ID and ISIS username and password. I sent my app in on 10/12 and just got mine today. My admission decision says in progress. Does anybody know what that means?

That is different from the status checker. The status checker comes a few days later. I'm "In review" as of today, though :)

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:03 pm

Slimpee wrote:It's best to disclose and not raise any questions later on.

This. It's also worth pointing out that Iowa does require disclosure of non-speeding traffic violations. I hastily read that part of the application and was required to amend my app to include tickets for outdated tags, overly-dark tinting, etc.

Basically, I don't like the interior of the building and i'll freely admit it.Like I said, however, I don't mind the exterior. People call the building the Death Star:.

I kinda have the opposite feelings. I find the interior to be functional and adequate but I'm not a fan of the Death Star exterior. Odd since I'm a Star Wars addict.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:07 pm

JOThompson wrote:

This. It's also worth pointing out that Iowa does require disclosure of non-speeding traffic violations. I hastily read that part of the application and was required to amend my app to include tickets for outdated tags, overly-dark tinting, etc.

As for the facilities, I kinda have the opposite feelings. I find the interior to be functional and adequate but I'm not a fan of the Death Star exterior.

My visual curiosities are more for the city overall. I've never been to Iowa, or anywhere near it, so I don't really know what it looks like. Here we have sand, flat concrete, hard grass and palm trees. I'm looking for a big change of scenery, some distinct seasons, maybe even :shock: snow :shock: and a town that feels kind of ... homey? And a place you wouldn't be too worried about raising children (low crime rate, etc)...

HopefullyLaw

Postby HopefullyLaw » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:10 pm

Barbie wrote:
JOThompson wrote:

As for the facilities, I kinda have the opposite feelings. I find the interior to be functional and adequate but I'm not a fan of the Death Star exterior.

My visual curiosities are more for the city overall. I've never been to Iowa, or anywhere near it, so I don't really know what it looks like. Here we have sand, flat concrete, hard grass and palm trees. I'm looking for a big change of scenery, some distinct seasons, maybe even :shock: snow :shock: and a town that feels kind of ... homey? And a place you wouldn't be too worried about raising children (low crime rate, etc)...

I am from Iowa and will be applying to U of Iowa for law school. Although I do not attend one of the public universities right now, I have friends who do and friends who have graduated from U of I. So, if you have any questions about the state of Iowa, Iowa City, et cetera, I might be able to help.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:13 pm

HopefullyLaw wrote:
Barbie wrote:My visual curiosities are more for the city overall. I've never been to Iowa, or anywhere near it, so I don't really know what it looks like. Here we have sand, flat concrete, hard grass and palm trees. I'm looking for a big change of scenery, some distinct seasons, maybe even :shock: snow :shock: and a town that feels kind of ... homey? And a place you wouldn't be too worried about raising children (low crime rate, etc)...

I am from Iowa and will be applying to U of Iowa for law school. Although I do not attend one of the public universities right now, I have friends who do and friends who have graduated from U of I. So, if you have any questions about the state of Iowa, Iowa City, et cetera, I might be able to help.

Thanks! I'm sure I could google all the things I mentioned but I'd like your perspective on it? How do you feel about the weather and the city visually? Big trees, brick houses, nice neighborhoods (just, whatever, really.. haha)? Also, is it safe? In south florida there seems to be a LOT of crim and I won't even go outside alone at night even though I live in a pretty good neighborhood. Do you have humidity? lol

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:17 pm

Barbie wrote:
JOThompson wrote:

If you're coming from Florida, it'll definitely be a change of scenery for you. To me, Iowa City feels like a small, intimate town. There's far more variety than I expected. I'm not an Iowa native though so I'll leave a more detailed description to some of my other classmates.

Here are a few images of Iowa City itself:
--ImageRemoved--http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2097/2436142900_a5a52c5937.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/30/46402 ... c61f_o.jpg

HopefullyLaw

Postby HopefullyLaw » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:31 pm

Barbie wrote:
HopefullyLaw wrote:
Barbie wrote:My visual curiosities are more for the city overall. I've never been to Iowa, or anywhere near it, so I don't really know what it looks like. Here we have sand, flat concrete, hard grass and palm trees. I'm looking for a big change of scenery, some distinct seasons, maybe even :shock: snow :shock: and a town that feels kind of ... homey? And a place you wouldn't be too worried about raising children (low crime rate, etc)...

Thanks! I'm sure I could google all the things I mentioned but I'd like your perspective on it? How do you feel about the weather and the city visually? Big trees, brick houses, nice neighborhoods (just, whatever, really.. haha)? Also, is it safe? In south florida there seems to be a LOT of crim and I won't even go outside alone at night even though I live in a pretty good neighborhood. Do you have humidity? lol

Very funny you ask about the weather. When new professors come to my college, they often become confused and ask about the weather patterns here. We have all the seasons, but I describe our weather as a surprise. We aren't getting snow in August or anything like that, but the temperatures vary depending on the time of day. For example, yesterday it was in the high 60's in the morning and then low 80's by afternoon. Today, the temperature has stayed in the low 60's. Winter surprises most of my friends who are not from Iowa. Winter is brutal. The amount of snow we get coupled with winds freaks people out. However, it is extremely manageable and a great reason to shop for winter clothes. :)

When crime happens in Iowa, it is all over the news. This is because crime is virtually non-existent except under rare circumstances. If you're with another person during night hours, you should feel safe. Iowa City and the capitol of Des Moines are similar in regard to areas. Stay around the university area and you'll be fine. I've been on walks with friends at two a.m. when we needed a break from studying and we felt completely safe.

Yes, summers are very humid. That's about all I can say on that.

The brick houses and large trees exist, but so do new developments with young trees. Everything is very neighborhood-based. Iowa City caters specifically to U of I more so than I imagine a lot of schools do. U of I is Iowa City. There are tons of things in Iowa City, but the town really depends on and supports the university. And, of course, Iowa is a great place to raise a family. We have marriage equality! :)

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:46 pm

HopefullyLaw wrote:
The brick houses and large trees exist, but so do new developments with young trees. Everything is very neighborhood-based. Iowa City caters specifically to U of I more so than I imagine a lot of schools do. U of I is Iowa City. There are tons of things in Iowa City, but the town really depends on and supports the university. And, of course, Iowa is a great place to raise a family. We have marriage equality! :)

<3 <3 <3 <3

Since its based around the campus-- are there a lot of nice pubs, restaurants, coffee shops? :D thanks for all the answers

HopefullyLaw

Postby HopefullyLaw » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:52 pm

Barbie wrote:
HopefullyLaw wrote:

<3 <3 <3 <3

Since its based around the campus-- are there a lot of nice pubs, restaurants, coffee shops? :D thanks for all the answers

Oh, tons of nice pubs, homey pubs, et cetera. A scene for everyone. And definitely cool restaurants. One is called the Brown Bottle. Sounds sketch, but is very good. And both chain and independent coffee shops. And everything is within walking distance or public transportation. Plus a car if you wish to bring one.

dstr15

Postby dstr15 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:57 pm

Barbie wrote:
dstr15 wrote:Has anybody else received their Hawk ID and ISIS username and password. I sent my app in on 10/12 and just got mine today. My admission decision says in progress. Does anybody know what that means?

That is different from the status checker. The status checker comes a few days later. I'm "In review" as of today, though :)

Okay, thanks Barbie. Good luck! Do you know when Iowa starts making decisions?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:01 pm

dstr15 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Okay, thanks Barbie. Good luck! Do you know when Iowa starts making decisions?

According to LSN and last cycle, the first big sweep of acceptances were distributed in early December.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:41 pm

1. Don't listen to JOThompson about anything...trust me

:wink:

Just kidding, playa...nothing but love

As a town Iowa City surprised me. I spent the last four years living in Minneapolis which I loved. Minneapolis is a very active, engaged, and progressive city and I find Iowa City to be the same, albeit on a much lower scale.

It's a fairly attractive town, at least around campus with nice homes landscaping along w/ the river. Very scenic. Another thing I didn't notice when I first visited is that it's fairly hilly. I don't notice as much when i'm leaving the bars on my bike but more, ahem, sober, they're a pain.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:52 pm

Hey guys, yet another 1L here taking questions. I come from NYC, so those of you who are wondering about that drastic change of scenery/ way of life can PM me with questions/ concerns/ general greetings... all that good stuff. Actually, I guess you can do that on the thread, but I thought I'd give the option.

As for the activity of Iowa City, I was personally surprised at how lively it can get during the weekends. I love that the west side is normally quiet, but that there's always something going on, on the east side of town. The contrast of both parts of town is what I found most appealing actually. I can study quietly on the west side and go drink with my friends on the east side when I want all the party hype.

Amir N

Postby Amir N » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:03 pm

jaskat wrote:Hey guys, yet another 1L here taking questions. I come from NYC, so those of you who are wondering about that drastic change of scenery/ way of life can PM me with questions/ concerns/ general greetings... all that good stuff. Actually, I guess you can do that on the thread, but I thought I'd give the option.

As for the activity of Iowa City, I was personally surprised at how lively it can get during the weekends. I love that the west side is normally quiet, but that there's always something going on, on the east side of town. The contrast of both parts of town is what I found most appealing actually. I can study quietly on the west side and go drink with my friends on the east side when I want all the party hype.

Thanks for taking the time. We all appreciate it very much.

1) How is Iowa's placement holding up post-recession?

2) Do employers regard Iowa to be in the same league as Wisconsin, Minnesota, Bloomington?

3) Where do most students go for summer work?

4) I drove through Iowa City a couple of weeks ago very late at night and ate at a bar called Quintons. I thought the food was absolutely delicious. Am I crazed?

That's it for now...

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:22 pm

I'll chime in and offer my perspective too:

1.) It's difficult everywhere now. I've met rare 3Ls with biglaw offers in Chicago, students without any offers, and everything in between. While we don't have a large home market to fall back on, we are within several hours of Minneapolis, Chicago, St. Louis, etc. So I get the impression that Iowa enjoys greater mobility within the midwest region than some of our peer schools.

2.) Iowa is in the same league with Minnesota, Indiana, Wisconsin, etc. Keep in mind that the Iowa peer review score is 3.9/5.0, which puts it well above other regional T30s. It seems that such an assessment is more indicative of actual job prospects than the overall rankings.

3.) Most the students are from the midwest, so I'd expect that the majority seek summer employment there too. I've met a handful of 3Ls who summered in California, DC, Denver and Portland though. If you have connections to a distant region, I think that substantially increases your chances of finding summer employment there.

4.) I haven't been to Quinton's yet, but I can assure you that there are tons of cheap and good places to eat in Iowa City. I was pleasantly surprised with the variety of food and bars here. Most the spots are clustered in a tight, several block area too. Really convenient.

Also, if this hasn't been mentioned yet enough, students are eligible for instate tuition for their second and third years. It's as simple as working as a TA/RA. The positions seem plentiful, pretty much everyone who wants a spot can acquire one.
Last edited by JOThompson on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:25 pm

Amir N wrote:
jaskat wrote:Hey guys, yet another 1L here taking questions. I come from NYC, so those of you who are wondering about that drastic change of scenery/ way of life can PM me with questions/ concerns/ general greetings... all that good stuff. Actually, I guess you can do that on the thread, but I thought I'd give the option.

Thanks for taking the time. We all appreciate it very much.

1) How is Iowa's placement holding up post-recession?

2) Do employers regard Iowa to be in the same league as Wisconsin, Minnesota, Bloomington?

3) Where do most students go for summer work?

4) I drove through Iowa City a couple of weeks ago very late at night and ate at a bar called Quintons. I thought the food was absolutely delicious. Am I crazed?

That's it for now...

1) as we 1L's have yet to even apply to jobs, this question might better be suited for a 2L or for the administration, (who are very friendly and so far have not lied or exaggerated to my knowledge).

2) From what i've heard from the 2L's Iowa is kind of held in better esteem than Wisconsin and Bloomington, haven't heard much about Minnesota. The only real reason I've seen that Bloomington was sos hyped in the past years is because of the large endowment they received which allowed them to essentially buy high LST/GPA students with a full ride. However, as you may have seen they are going down in ranking once again....so yeah.

3) From what's been posted last year/ what my fellow 1L's and I have been talking about, the midwest is basically where you're going to end up during the summers. A lot of people stay in Iowa and in surrounding states. I've heard a couple have gone to Texas/ will be going to Texas but they normally had some tie to the state.

4) I have yet to visit Quintons, but the restaurants I have gone to have been surprisingly really good. I was also impressed by the diversity of the food found here. You can pretty much find any type of ethnic food, and it'll be at the very least decent.

Amir N

Postby Amir N » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:38 pm

Any idea what placement is like in Des Moines? Does Drake rule that city or does Iowa's superior ranking allow students to have an advantage there?

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:50 pm

Amir N wrote:Any idea what placement is like in Des Moines? Does Drake rule that city or does Iowa's superior ranking allow students to have an advantage there?

Iowa places much better in the city, despite the fact that Drake is closer to Des Moines. If you look at the largest firm sites for Des Moines, you'll see that Iowa grads still significantly outnumber Drake graduates. I suspect that Iowa grads are more highly represented in influential state government positions too. Just by proximity and virtue of being the second best school in Iowa, you're going to see a lot of Drake people too though.

ArmyHawkeye

Postby ArmyHawkeye » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:13 am

Iowa City is a great mix between a city and small town Iowa. If you can't find something to do in Iowa City you simply aren't looking. The bar scene is great. There is a wide variety of clubs and bars. There are local restaurants and pubs as well as the popular chain joints. The night life is surprisingly busy. The University is always putting on a concert or production of some kind. The city really does cater to the university.

I'll touch on weather even though others have as well. Summers get hot and humid and winter is cold and windy. Iowa winters are beautiful but can get old when february rolls around and there is still a foot of snow on the ground. You will definitely be ready for spring when it finally arrives. Summer and fall are absolutely gorgeous. If you haven't checked out Lake Mac Bride state park (just outside Iowa City), you should. There are great trails to run, bike, or just walk. You can also canoe down the Iowa River (grab a cooler full of your favorite beverage and you are in for a good time). If you are willing to get outside the city and explore there is a lot to do. Quinton's is a great place to grab some food. You should all check out Mesa Pizza as well. It has some crazy types of toppings (try the mac and cheese, baked potato, or philly cheese steak), but they are all good. Fall = Football in Iowa City. Tailgating is a blast! The atmosphere in Iowa City is electric (I hate that cliche but being around Kinnick Stadium on a football Saturday will give you the goosebumps, guaranteed). The collective expirience of sitting with 70,000+ people and watching the Hawkeyes is an expirience to say the least. I'm currently serving overseas but I planned my R&R leave around home football games, it is that amazing.

I did my undergrad at U Iowa so I am admittedly bias, but Iowa City is a great place to spend a few years. You will definitely feel like you are a part of a small town community but will also get to do a lot of great things. Hoped this helped a few of you out there.

brupe

Postby brupe » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:20 am

Hey everyone, I'm an Iowa native and graduated from U.Iowa my undergrad. Just applied to the Law school on 11/2, can't wait to hear if I got in! I love it here, and I currently live here, so if you have any questions let me know!

brupe

Postby brupe » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:18 pm

Is everybody still "In Progress" like me?

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”