Visiting Atlanta - Emory

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
WhiteMarlin

Visiting Atlanta - Emory

Postby WhiteMarlin » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:25 pm

I'm interested in visiting Emory and I was hoping for some suggestions on where to stay in Atlanta. I've found information in past threads regarding spots nearby (Emory Conference Center and Emory Inn) but I'm planning on making the trip as a long-weekend type journey with my girlfriend and thought it might be a bit more enjoyable to stay somewhere closer to the action of the city. Any thoughts on where would be a nice place to stay in town that's close to where we'd want to be going out? We aren't necessarily into the nightclub scene per se but we do like to have fun at the bar. Any areas of the city we would want to stay away from? Also, how far of a drive is from the city to Emory's campus, realistically? TIA for any help

Sandro

Re: Visiting Atlanta - Emory

Postby Sandro » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:41 am

for bars check out Virginia Highlands area, or there's a REALLY cool bar across town called Ormsbys. One of the coolest bars ive been to. http://www.ormsbysatlanta.com/

drays917

Postby drays917 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:25 am

I would stay near Emory, if I were you - the "action of the city" isn't really walkable anyway, so you might as well stay cheaply near campus and drive to midtown or buckhead if that's what you're looking for. From Emory it's probably a 10-15 minute drive, I'd say. As for where to avoid, I really wouldn't worry - it's unlikely you'd somehow find yourself in the shadier parts of town anyway. The Highlands are probably your best bet for bars, although be warned, they can get fairly crowded with undergrads from time to time. You also might want to try Brickstore or Leon's, both of which are pretty near Emory.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:58 pm

I lived five minutes away from Emory for the first 18 years of my life, so I feel qualified to chime in.

As far as where to stay, I'd try to find a bed-and-breakfast in Inman Park, Candler Park (my neighborhood - woo!), or near Emory. You could stay in a hotel, but most of them are downtown, where you'll be spending exactly 0% of your time since there's nothing to do there except work and overpay for parking. Better to stay in one of the actual neighborhoods in the city. All the ones I mentioned are incredibly pretty and charming.

As far as going out, here are your choices:

Hipster-type bars: Little Five Points, East Atlanta, Cabbagetown. The latter two may be slightly sketchy for you if you've never lived outside the suburbs, but don't walk down deserted streets with your Rolex out and you'll be fine.

Bro-type bars: Virginia Highlands. Native Atlantans can't stand this place on weekends because it's ground zero for Emory and Georgia Tech undergrads and suburban professionals who come into the city to get shit-faced and bump chests. If that's your scene, check it out.

Somewhere in between the above two-type bars: Decatur, I guess? That's where Leon's and Brickstore are, the two bars mentioned by a previous poster. Decatur is a different city from Atlanta, strangely, but right next to it and very close to Emory. Brickstore has a crazy beer selection, hundreds available.

I love Atlanta with all of my heart. You will have a great time if you find the right places to hang out. Some suggestions:

The Flying Biscuit (Candler Park) - World-famous (no kidding) breakfast place. Expect to wait upwards of an hour on Saturday or Sunday.

Gato Bizco (Candler Park) - Unfamous but IMHO better-than-the-Biscuit breakfast place that's right across the street from it.

Ria's Bluebird (Grant Park) - Great brunch spot.

Stone Soup Kitchen (Grant Park) - Great brunch and lunch place. (Disclosure: My friend's mom owns it.)

Six Feet Under (locations in Grant Park and Midtown) - Great fried seafood place.

The Porter (Little Five Points) - Fancy beer bar/gastro-pub. Hundreds of beers available and damn good food.

Elmyr (Little Five Points) - Authentically dive-y bar with the best BBQ chicken burrito ever.

Fellini's (locations in Little Five Points, Poncey Highlands, Decatur, everywhere) - Best pizza in Atlanta, hands down.

The EARL (East Atlanta) - Great bar in East Atlanta. A staple of the neighborhood. Good bar food, shaggy locals, all that good stuff. They sometimes do "Dunch" shows in the afternoon, a great way to catch some local music while you knock back beers and fried okrah.

Also, disregard my snobbery and know Atlanta is one of the friendliest cities in the country and you will have a fine time and fit in wherever you guys decide to go out.

PM me if you have any questions.

atlrower

Postby atlrower » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:29 pm

All good suggestions, but I feel obligated to note that Fellini's, while a nice spot, is not the best pizza in Atlanta. That would have to go to Antico.

But yeah, I agree that to get a good sense of what life might be like at Emory, you would want to hang out in the Decatur/Virginia Highlands area rather than downtown Atlanta.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”