Integrity and Misrepresentations of Schools Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
angiej

Silver

Integrity and Misrepresentations of Schools

Post by angiej » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:31 pm

I visited a law school in Chicago yesterday and brought with me a copy of the USN&WR for reading while on the train. Of course, I paid particular attention to the info about the particular school that I visited and thus when the assistant dean of admissions gave me a sheet of the 2009 entering class profile I immediatley saw the discrepancy in the numbers. It appeared to me that this particular school fudged their own numbers on this information sheet given to prospective applicants so as to make it appear more prestigious and elite. Is this common? Is it possible that USN&WR is mistaken? It bothers me that a law school, which is so concerned with integrity and honesty (at least in the app process) would actually make their entering class number higher, the percentage of admittances lower, and the LSAT and GPA ranges much higher. What gives?

Adjudicator

Silver

Re: Integrity and Misrepresentations of Schools

Post by Adjudicator » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:42 pm

angiej wrote:I visited a law school in Chicago yesterday and brought with me a copy of the USN&WR for reading while on the train. Of course, I paid particular attention to the info about the particular school that I visited and thus when the assistant dean of admissions gave me a sheet of the 2009 entering class profile I immediatley saw the discrepancy in the numbers. It appeared to me that this particular school fudged their own numbers on this information sheet given to prospective applicants so as to make it appear more prestigious and elite. Is this common? Is it possible that USN&WR is mistaken? It bothers me that a law school, which is so concerned with integrity and honesty (at least in the app process) would actually make their entering class number higher, the percentage of admittances lower, and the LSAT and GPA ranges much higher. What gives?
:D

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:46 am

I have it on good authority that Cooley is the 12th ranked law school in the country.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:50 am

Think of it like movie trailers... hell, even Gigli probably found one good word in a review somewhere to advertise on the air back when it came out.

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:03 am

Please share with us which school it is you're referring to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:07 am

admitted v. attending?

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:29 am

Truths come in different shades of gray . . . at least this is what I expect to learn in law school :D

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:46 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:Please share with us which school it is you're referring to.
Its a non-T14 Chicago school.

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:54 pm

You'd think they would want to do the opposite and pass out lower numbers so that they can lure in more suckers. Regardless why would you trust PR and self-reported numbers of any kind?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:01 pm

I don't know but I was totally turned off by it. Plus, while I was sitting in the information session with the dean, he misrepresented the numbers which were different from both USN&WR and the information sheet which I had right in front of me! Gah!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:10 pm

Were the stats for the same admissions cycle & were they both for matriculated students or was one for admitted students & the other for attending students ?

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:35 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Were the stats for the same admissions cycle & were they both for matriculated students or was one for admitted students & the other for attending students ?
Yep, same year, same data pool (matriculated students). I suppose the information could have changed from when they sent it off to USN&WR for reporting purposes, but since it was based on the 2009 entering class, they had plenty of time to update it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”