Visited UDC Law (David A. Clarke Law School) Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Visited UDC Law (David A. Clarke Law School)

Post by Kurt Cobain » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:45 am

I was very impressed. The neighborhood was nice, the facilities decent, and the administration was wonderful. If anyone has questions, shoot! Or any insight, feel free to share! :D

ksimon2007

Silver

Re: Visited UDC Law (David A. Clarke Law School)

Post by ksimon2007 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:47 am

How do they sell the law school in relation to the other more prestigious institutions?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:49 am

The price seems very reasonable, so no matter what happens, you won't end up in huge loads of debt. A situation like that certainly has at least some merits, unlike the uber-expensive private T3 and T4 schools that put kids into 6 figure debt with little hope of gainful employment.

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:55 am

ksimon2007 wrote:How do they sell the law school in relation to the other more prestigious institutions?
One of the admissions deans told me she went to GW, people she went to school with are still paying off debts (I'd guess she was about 30, so out of school for 5 years maybe?), and that UDC is a great option because of the cheap tuition.

She also emphasized the clinical students take part in starting in 1L. She said most schools don't give students that kind of exposure to what it's like to really practice so early in the game, and she thinks it's the most important part of law school.

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:59 am

Kurt Cobain wrote:
ksimon2007 wrote:How do they sell the law school in relation to the other more prestigious institutions?
One of the admissions deans told me she went to GW, people she went to school with are still paying off debts (I'd guess she was about 30, so out of school for 5 years maybe?), and that UDC is a great option because of the cheap tuition.

She also emphasized the clinical students take part in starting in 1L. She said most schools don't give students that kind of exposure to what it's like to really practice so early in the game, and she thinks it's the most important part of law school.
Sounds like a reasonable pitch. I would assume a considerable amount of the graduates go into public sector jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:02 pm

36% MD bar passage rate in 2005. Ouch. I think UDC would have a tough time justifying even the $17k rate when far more well-respected state schools offer similar solid in-state rates (eg UGA, Temple etc to name a few).
Last edited by 2009 Prospective on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:02 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:

What do you want to do with your law degree? Do you know?

Have you taken the LSAT yet?

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:03 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:
Kurt Cobain wrote:

Sounds like a reasonable pitch. I would assume a considerable amount of the graduates go into public sector jobs.
Yes, she said that was the focus of the school. It sounds like a good option for people who want to work in public interest.

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:07 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
Kurt Cobain wrote:

What do you want to do with your law degree? Do you know?

Have you taken the LSAT yet?
I want to work in the public sector, and my LSATs aren't outstanding, so I thought it would be a nice fit for me. I'm definitely going to apply and see what happens!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:09 pm

2009 Prospective wrote:36% MD bar passage rate in 2005. Ouch. I think UDC would have a tough time justifying even the $17k rate when far more well-respected state schools offer similar solid in-state rates (eg UGA, Temple etc to name a few).
Last year they had a 92.31% pass rate in MD, and a 81.82% pass rate in DC, so it's obviously improved since 05.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... BA5245.pdf

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:11 pm

I've heard some dreadful things about the DC market...public as well as private. I'm just saying, coming from a school like UDC it seems like being a public defender is in your future...and that is far from the worst case scenario.

Its early in the cycle...keep your options open. Don't be afraid to take the LSAT again in Dec...re-assess your situation and see what you can't come up with late in the cycle.

Why DC?

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:13 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
Why DC?
No particular reason, I've just always lived in the city, and I'd like to go to school/work in a big city.

I'm also considering schools in NY, Boston, SD, LA, and SF

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:24 pm

I'm getting the vibe that pursuing secondary markets might be a better idea.

Large cities are really tough to find legal jobs in right now. Secondary markets, if you pick them right, have been impacted differently by the economy. If your numbers aren't great and the school you're attending isn't great then finding a niche in a secondary market will be MUCH easier than in a large market. Public or private sector.

Are you getting any scholarships to these schools? Because everyone on this site will tell you not to pay a dime for anything below the top 100 and a large portion will tell you not to pay a dime for anything outside tier 1 schools (which I think is a bit absurd...but only a bit).

I'm getting the sense you've just started thinking about law school and i would encourage you to think even more and continue visiting this site and reading everything you can about your choice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:28 pm

You're also talking about a school that is going to LOCK you into public interest work. What if you don't like it? Its a school that has seriously limited options.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:29 pm

OP, think of every legal market as its own individual hierarchy. So in DC, you have Georgetown, UVA (close enough that a large number of grads take many of the good jobs), GW, American, Catholic, etc. And that isn't to mention the various T-14 students from other cities that can just waltz on into DC and cherry pick the jobs they want, with total preference over most local DC schools. So relative to the market, UDC is pretty low on the overall hierarchy. If you are going to look into T3 and T4 schools, I would highly recommend you look for a city/market where your school is higher up on the totem pole.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:34 pm

OP...any chance you'll give us your numbers? (GPA/LSAT)

Also try visiting lawschoolpredictor.com and see what schools you have options at and are close to having options at with a higher LSAT score.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Have you thought about UBalt?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Yes Pearalegal, I've considered UBaltimore, didn't visit though. Any info you could provide?

And Kobe, I have a 153 LSAT and 3.13 GPA from BU.

Thanks for the info everyone btw. Much appreciated.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:58 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:Yes Pearalegal, I've considered UBaltimore, didn't visit though. Any info you could provide?
Just that you'll get a comparable education with a better chance of getting a job in the public or private sector (in Baltimore), and that its close to DC and in the general region you seem to like.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:01 pm

Dude, take the LSAT again. Its learnable and just takes a good 4-8weeks of real dedication. A 153 suggests you "sorta get parts of it."

Did you do the powerscore bibles?
Did you review wrong answers?
Did you have the answer explanations from Kaplan?
Did you have the Kaplan LR mastery questions?
Did you prepare for RC by reading every difficult text you could find?
Did you do and re-do logic games until you got them right?

In other words, did you give the LSAT your 100% effort? A 153 makes me doubt that. If you start now you could possibly be ready for October and definitely be ready by Dec.

MJMD

Bronze

Post by MJMD » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:09 pm

If the OP really wants an HBU experience, though, and can't get into Howard, then UDC is his/her only option.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:25 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:Dude, take the LSAT again. Its learnable and just takes a good 4-8weeks of real dedication. A 153 suggests you "sorta get parts of it."

Did you do the powerscore bibles?
Did you review wrong answers?
Did you have the answer explanations from Kaplan?
Did you have the Kaplan LR mastery questions?
Did you prepare for RC by reading every difficult text you could find?
Did you do and re-do logic games until you got them right?

In other words, did you give the LSAT your 100% effort? A 153 makes me doubt that. If you start now you could possibly be ready for October and definitely be ready by Dec.
Well you're right, I didn't put in 100%. I did take a few timed practice tests, and I got 150 and 151, so I was pretty happy with my 153. I'm thinking of retaking so I can potentially get some scholarship $$.

My only hesitation is I think I don't really have to. Even before I took the LSAT, my top choices (based on my GPA and cities I'd want to be) were UDC, CUNY, NY Law, Golden Gate, Thomas Jefferson, Southwestern, NE Law and Suffolk (all PT, I hope to put my UG business degree to use while in LS), and my score/GPA seems to be a pretty good fit with all of those places, so I think I should get a good amount of acceptances anyway.

I know most people on this forum tend to advise retake in every scenario, but what is your honest opinion?

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:44 pm

I have 2.8 / 165 and got about a 1/2 scholly at a T2. With a 3.1 or whatever I could have done considerably better.

I honestly think you are selling yourself short with a 153.

Kurt Cobain

Bronze

Post by Kurt Cobain » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:55 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:I have 2.8 / 165 and got about a 1/2 scholly at a T2. With a 3.1 or whatever I could have done considerably better.

I honestly think you are selling yourself short with a 153.
All right. Thanks man, I really appreciate your advice. I think I'll register for the October LSAT.

DC7935

New

Post by DC7935 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:37 am

UDC is a good school with a mission. Every year more and more students are picking it over Catholic U. because of UDC's low tuition, great location and clinical programs. If you want to work as a trial attorney this is the school for you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”