H Street Corridor DC

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
bilbobaggins

Re: H Street Corridor DC

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:54 pm

rockstar4488 wrote:How bad could this area be... there's a country club on H street.

hahahaha amazing.

(it's overpriced).

AmicusCuriae

Postby AmicusCuriae » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:19 pm

I live at the other end of H St. (3rd and H NE) and i rarely venture down near 12th. I think the area is very sketchy and I personally wouldn't live down there. The X2 is a convenient method of transportation to the area, but it is an experience. That bus line is prone to violence and general unruliness.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:27 pm

A fairly balanced perspective on the neighborhood: --LinkRemoved--

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:34 pm

That bus line is prone to violence and general unruliness.

Lol. People are occasionally boisterous, but I've never seen violence in years of riding the x2.

Money for the streetcars almost got cut in May:

Yeah, but it wasn't. They've already invested a ton of money in the streetcars. It would be bizarre indeed if they stopped now.

AmicusCuriae

Postby AmicusCuriae » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:17 pm

nealric wrote:
That bus line is prone to violence and general unruliness.

Lol. People are occasionally boisterous, but I've never seen violence in years of riding

I've seen physical altercations on the X2 on more than one occasion.

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:19 pm

Be careful if you do live around Atlas, try to avoid going North and East. I lived at 9th and L last fall while interning; it wasn't bad but I had a zone 6 permit so I could drive and park on 2nd and be 2 blocks from the New York Ave Metro. It's perfectly fine during the day but be careful after the sun sets. Also, get a club for your car (better safe than sorry).

younkink

Postby younkink » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:55 pm

I've lived in this neighborhood (more or less, i'm on 5th and G) for over a year now and I absolutely LOVE living here. The neighborhood is lively and growing rapidly, get in now and find a landlord that wont raise your rent like we did :)

As far as safety concerns - I live with two other girls and we're always about doing one thing or another, none of us have ever had a problem. It's not 'safe' to be walking around DC in any neighborhood ALONE at night. Be conscious of where you are - a big city. DC has 'bad' neighborhoods within walking distance of the 'good' neighborhoods. and get to know your neighbors, they will likely look out for you/your house/your car if you look out for them.

If you can find a place in north capitol hill (or even further west on H) you can easily walk to the gtown law campus as well as union station.

I bet the OP has probably already found a place to live but I thought I'd share my experience for any future gtown-ers out there!

gmail

Postby gmail » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:11 am

H street is dangerous as hell and you are guaranteed to be shot and raped and disemboweled. Then they will cut off your head and mail it to your family. Now pardon me while I enjoy a fine night out at the R&R Hotel without having to crowdsurf to the bar to get a jack and coke.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:13 pm

gmail wrote:H street is dangerous as hell and you are guaranteed to be shot and raped and disemboweled. Then they will cut off your head and mail it to your family. Now pardon me while I enjoy a fine night out at the R&R Hotel without having to crowdsurf to the bar to get a jack and coke.

TITCR

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:14 pm

Thanks for all the info. I actually ended up living a bit south on Constitution. Going up there tonight for the bars. Any advice???

duckz

Postby duckz » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:14 am

nealric wrote:
Yes, I'm telling you exactly that. Stop by Granville Moore's sometime- it's one of the best restaurants in town. The block may not look sterling clean, but you are not going to get shot. The only things to be afraid of on H street are hipsters wearing skinny jeans.

Truth, Granville Moore's is awesome, this place plus a jewish-irish pub combo, a german beer garden and lots of other spots, worth getting mugged.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”