Brooklyn told me not to bother applying

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
beautyhide

Brooklyn told me not to bother applying

Postby beautyhide » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:42 am

At this point in time Brooklyn is the only school in New York still accepting applications for Fall 2010.
Having taken the LSAT in June, I'm still waiting for my score but I decided to give the admissions office
a call this afternoon to inquire about my international student status.
The lady misunderstood my question and asked if I would like to know if there are any 'open slots',
so I said the hell with it and told her yes - and she goes,
"sweetheart there aren't any left. We're overenrolled, so don't bother applying..."
I found it very discouraging.
She told me that since they're overenrolled the chance of of my acceptance to Brooklyn is "zero",
but I "should apply anyway if I want to, because Brooklyn doesn't charge a fee and I have nothing to lose"

Do other schools do this?
I appreciate her for being honest with me but it doesn't seem like an appropriate thing for a school to say,
especially for one that's supposedly keeping the door open for application.

Kretzy

Re: Brooklyn told me to not bother applying

Postby Kretzy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:45 am

Would you like them to have lied and said they weren't full? I'm confused as to how an honest answer to your question could irk you in such a way. Having an open, free application doesn't mean that a school won't become full at some point during the process...

I understand how you'd be frustrated were they to have lied, or if they were to have told you to pay an application fee to apply were they already full, but it seems like this woman may have given you a straight answer to a question you asked.

I think this is something we should be encouraging law schools to do.
Last edited by Kretzy on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stringer Bell

Re: Brooklyn told me to not bother applying

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:47 am

Kretzy wrote:Would you like them to have lied and said they weren't full? I'm confused as to how an honest answer to your question could irk you in such a way.

I understand how you'd be frustrated were they to have lied, or if they were to have told you to pay an application fee to apply were they already full, but it seems like this woman may have given you a straight answer to a question you asked.

I think this is something we should be encouraging law schools to do.

+1

beautyhide

Re: Brooklyn told me not to bother applying

Postby beautyhide » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:50 am

yes.....but what I found discouraging was not her answer, but the fact that the admissions process seems to
operate in a different manner than I'd expected..I thought once the deadlines are set, the schools would keep
x number of enrollment spots open until a certain date, just to see what they stumble upon.

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:51 am

and I thought I was a shmuck for applying after the Feb administration

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:53 am

beautyhide wrote:yes.....but what I found discouraging was not her answer, but the fact that the admissions process seems to
operate in a different manner than I'd expected..I thought once the deadlines are set, the schools would keep
x number of enrollment spots open until a certain date, just to see what they stumble upon.

While this is disappointing for you, it isn't Brooklyn's fault.

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:53 am

beautyhide wrote:yes.....but what I found discouraging was not her answer, but the fact that the admissions process seems to

nah. by now most people know where they are going and most (if not all) classes are filled. leaving spots open risks under-enrolling, and there is no way any school will take the chance of losing all that tuition money from even one student.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:55 am

You do realize that another admissions cycle starts in < 3 months, right?

beautyhide

Postby beautyhide » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:57 am

Yeah.. I wasn't even considering Fall 2010, but my work visa is giving me a headache so I thought I'd look into
applying this year...guess it's not going to work out. Next time I'll be sure to apply early enough..thanks for the feedback :)

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:53 am

beautyhide wrote:Yeah.. I wasn't even considering Fall 2010, but my work visa is giving me a headache so I thought I'd look into
applying this year...guess it's not going to work out. Next time I'll be sure to apply early enough..thanks for the feedback :)

You found it discouraging? What did you expect? The school to leave some spots open for someone who decides in June to apply? Get lost flame.

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:13 pm

Have you heard of rolling admissions?

InLikeFlint

Postby InLikeFlint » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:21 pm

nshapkar wrote:Have you heard of rolling admissions?

I think the conversation ended a while ago.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:23 pm

nshapkar wrote:Have you heard of rolling admissions?

Have you heard of a necromancy?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:24 pm

I don't see what the issue is here. Just because someone sets a deadline doesn't mean that submitting right before it is going to cut it. And its not like they went against anything you don't already know. The deadline means that they will at least consider your application if you apply before then. If you send your app, they will look at it, and perhaps put you on the waitlist if you seem like a good candidate, but they don't have any more room. Its sort of like how I applied to a job with a February 1st deadline in early January, but they said that the job had already been filled. A deadline just means "we won't consider anything past this date". Don't confuse that to mean "we will consider everything before"

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:26 pm

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”