Most beautiful law school?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
User avatar
hipcatdaddio
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:03 pm

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby hipcatdaddio » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:59 pm

You came from Clemson? That explains a lot. Clemson, SC is the middle of nowhere with cow fields on either side of the one road in and out of town. Clemson's scenery is a hill in the background that people claim is "beautiful". Please. The buildings at UNC are scattered because the university was founded in 1789 and has been growing ever since. There are distinct quads (Polk and McCorkle) that house the majority of undergraduate classes and a section of campus further south for the sciences. It's actually a pretty compact campus seeing as how the entire campus can be walked in about 20 minutes. Once again, did you even go to Franklin Street? Every single restaurant and shop has a UNC theme to it. I severely question whether you were in Chapel Hill or Carrboro. They run together, but there is a very distinct difference. Also, "quaint" does not mean the middle of nowhere like Clemson, SC so settle down sparky. Chapel Hill is also far from a "fucking ghetto" considering that Franklin Street is lined with homes over a million dollars. Again, I really have a hard time believing you were in Chapel Hill. I think you may have been in Carrboro. Like I said in an earlier post, the law school itself is not an attractive building, no argument there. But the town of Chapel Hill and the campus as a whole is always considered a top campus in appearance. Clearly we'll have to agree to disagree on this because you probably like mustard-based barbecue, but you're wrong.

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby ilikebaseball » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:37 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:You came from Clemson? That explains a lot. Clemson, SC is the middle of nowhere with cow fields on either side of the one road in and out of town. Clemson's scenery is a hill in the background that people claim is "beautiful". Please. The buildings at UNC are scattered because the university was founded in 1789 and has been growing ever since. There are distinct quads (Polk and McCorkle) that house the majority of undergraduate classes and a section of campus further south for the sciences. It's actually a pretty compact campus seeing as how the entire campus can be walked in about 20 minutes. Once again, did you even go to Franklin Street? Every single restaurant and shop has a UNC theme to it. I severely question whether you were in Chapel Hill or Carrboro. They run together, but there is a very distinct difference. Also, "quaint" does not mean the middle of nowhere like Clemson, SC so settle down sparky. Chapel Hill is also far from a "fucking ghetto" considering that Franklin Street is lined with homes over a million dollars. Again, I really have a hard time believing you were in Chapel Hill. I think you may have been in Carrboro. Like I said in an earlier post, the law school itself is not an attractive building, no argument there. But the town of Chapel Hill and the campus as a whole is always considered a top campus in appearance. Clearly we'll have to agree to disagree on this because you probably like mustard-based barbecue, but you're wrong.


FWIW I really havent ever heard one person ever say UNC was beautiful. I hear alright things about Duke, Wake Forest, Elon, etc. But NC State and UNC are usually looked down upon, campus wise. Not saying Clemson looks nice, cuz I dont know. Doesnt even have a law school I dont think.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby lisjjen » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Depends on what you're looking for, but if what you're looking for is Middle Earth/the Forest Moon of Endor, I have to at least mention Lewis and Clark in Portland, OR.

Image

Image

User avatar
hipcatdaddio
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:03 pm

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby hipcatdaddio » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:42 pm

choward014 wrote:
hipcatdaddio wrote:You came from Clemson? That explains a lot. Clemson, SC is the middle of nowhere with cow fields on either side of the one road in and out of town. Clemson's scenery is a hill in the background that people claim is "beautiful". Please. The buildings at UNC are scattered because the university was founded in 1789 and has been growing ever since. There are distinct quads (Polk and McCorkle) that house the majority of undergraduate classes and a section of campus further south for the sciences. It's actually a pretty compact campus seeing as how the entire campus can be walked in about 20 minutes. Once again, did you even go to Franklin Street? Every single restaurant and shop has a UNC theme to it. I severely question whether you were in Chapel Hill or Carrboro. They run together, but there is a very distinct difference. Also, "quaint" does not mean the middle of nowhere like Clemson, SC so settle down sparky. Chapel Hill is also far from a "fucking ghetto" considering that Franklin Street is lined with homes over a million dollars. Again, I really have a hard time believing you were in Chapel Hill. I think you may have been in Carrboro. Like I said in an earlier post, the law school itself is not an attractive building, no argument there. But the town of Chapel Hill and the campus as a whole is always considered a top campus in appearance. Clearly we'll have to agree to disagree on this because you probably like mustard-based barbecue, but you're wrong.


FWIW I really havent ever heard one person ever say UNC was beautiful. I hear alright things about Duke, Wake Forest, Elon, etc. But NC State and UNC are usually looked down upon, campus wise. Not saying Clemson looks nice, cuz I dont know. Doesnt even have a law school I dont think.


While I could post numerous pointless rankings of beautiful campuses that UNC appears on (again, overall campus, not law school), it's clear that me and the poster a couple pages ago that listed UNC as a beautiful campus (the post that started this whole disagreement) will simply disagree with those who do not view it as such. Since I haven't posted 100 times, I can't embed pictures, otherwise I would do that as opposed to continuing this pointless argument. I will say that Duke/Elon/Wake are all very attractive campuses, but there is a world of difference in visual appeal (and other things) between UNC and NC State. NC State is consistently mentioned as one of the ugliest campuses in America. I would greatly encourage anybody to go to Chapel Hill and explore the campus/town. I still don't know what the guy from Clemson is going on about, but as I said earlier, I can live with just agreeing to disagree on the beauty of the campus.

User avatar
hipcatdaddio
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:03 pm

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby hipcatdaddio » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:52 pm

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ekkf45i/ ... -hill-n-c/

http://www.thebestcolleges.org/most-beautiful-campuses/

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattortile/scen ... instagram/

I know I said the "most beautiful campus" rankings were pointless, and they are, but just to acknowledge the fact that I'm not nearly the only person who thinks UNC has a beautiful campus. Note: the buzzfeed article didn't even capture the most beautiful parts of campus. hahaha.

User avatar
isuperserial
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:49 pm

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby isuperserial » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:08 pm

lisjjen wrote:Depends on what you're looking for, but if what you're looking for is Middle Earth/the Forest Moon of Endor, I have to at least mention Lewis and Clark in Portland, OR.

(Images redacted to save space)


That is absolutely gorgeous. Wow.

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby MikeSpivey » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:21 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ekkf45i/university-of-north-carolina-at-chapel-hill-chapel-hill-n-c/

http://www.thebestcolleges.org/most-beautiful-campuses/

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattortile/scen ... instagram/

I know I said the "most beautiful campus" rankings were pointless, and they are, but just to acknowledge the fact that I'm not nearly the only person who thinks UNC has a beautiful campus. Note: the buzzfeed article didn't even capture the most beautiful parts of campus. hahaha.


On the buzzfeed rankings, the three schools I have worked for are 8, 11, and 14. I mean, I'm not like I'd ever go work for some slummy #26th ranked Princeton University, but I still like my luck!

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby Attax » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:11 pm

Surprise! My hideous school never makes these lists.

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby chuckbass » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:36 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
hipcatdaddio wrote:http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ekkf45i/university-of-north-carolina-at-chapel-hill-chapel-hill-n-c/

http://www.thebestcolleges.org/most-beautiful-campuses/

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattortile/scen ... instagram/

I know I said the "most beautiful campus" rankings were pointless, and they are, but just to acknowledge the fact that I'm not nearly the only person who thinks UNC has a beautiful campus. Note: the buzzfeed article didn't even capture the most beautiful parts of campus. hahaha.


On the buzzfeed rankings, the three schools I have worked for are 8, 11, and 14. I mean, I'm not like I'd ever go work for some slummy #26th ranked Princeton University, but I still like my luck!

They chose the strangest pics for WUSTL I'm ir8.

User avatar
MikeSpivey
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby MikeSpivey » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:58 pm

They should just show the new b-school pictures for WUSTL.

irish921
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby irish921 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:03 pm

NC State is hella ugly on the legacy campus. Centennial campus stepped up to the plate though, and is a legit mix of glass and grass.

UNC is just a prototypical small town university setting. There are nice areas, and not-so-nice areas. Wake and Duke, as previously stated, blow both out of the water.

But I will note that people have been getting mugged around UNC all the time recently.

User avatar
Auxilio
Posts: 582
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby Auxilio » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:49 am

I am going to semi-revive this thread with an image from a Canadian school (McGill), which I would not call the most beautiful, but definitely up there

http://i.dawn.com/2012/10/mcgill-law-un ... eal-06.jpg

User avatar
cal2013
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:22 am

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby cal2013 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:43 pm

http://www.berkeleyside.com/wp-content/ ... panile.jpg

https://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.co ... .jpg?w=640

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RPDN41wUGYg/T ... G_0054.jpg

Boalt is nothing spectacular to look at, but I absolutely love Berkeley's campus. Maybe I'm partial as an undergrad alum though.

thisone2014
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:03 pm

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby thisone2014 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:07 am

cal2013 wrote:http://www.berkeleyside.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/UC-Berkeley-campanile.jpg

https://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.co ... .jpg?w=640

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RPDN41wUGYg/T ... G_0054.jpg

Boalt is nothing spectacular to look at, but I absolutely love Berkeley's campus. Maybe I'm partial as an undergrad alum though.



That top pic is gorgeous

CPAlawHopefu
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby CPAlawHopefu » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:06 am

Beauty of campus should not even be a factor. You'll be "wow'ed" the first time you have a walkthrough of the campus, then it all becomes irrelevant. I say this because I am an alumnus from what is supposedly a very beautiful campus (UCLA) and I stopped caring after the orientation week (undergrad).

What really matters are:

1. Distance from dorm/parking lot/apartment to the lecture hall.
2. Parking situation around the campus + dorms (UCLA is especially notorious for this)
3. Ease of access to public restrooms (this matters more the larger the campus)
4. Access to coffee + snack shops from the classroom

Sure, too many parking lots, restrooms, and commercial shops could mean unpleasant atmosphere and unaesthetic surroundings but you will be thankful during your stay at the campus.

User avatar
sollos
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:09 pm

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby sollos » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:37 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote:You'll be "wow'ed" the first time you have a walkthrough of the campus, then it all becomes irrelevant. I say this because I am an alumnus from what is supposedly a very beautiful campus (UCLA) and I stopped caring after the orientation week (undergrad).


Maybe if your aesthetic senses are as dull as a table, that or the place you're at really isn't pretty. That's like suggesting one could tire of looking at Michelangelo's Pieta.

I never once got over the beauty of where I lived at my MA for the two years I was there. Each day in each season was an utter pleasure to just walk the streets and take it all in.

User avatar
isuperserial
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:49 pm

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby isuperserial » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:29 pm

It matters less than other factors, but it matters. And it matters different amounts to different people. For what it's worth, I go to a school with a shit building (on an otherwise beautiful campus) and I have never stopped noticing how gross the building is.

And some people's happiness can be effected by their surroundings. So while to some it wouldn't matter if they go to a school that looks like the prison in The Walking Dead, for others that would make them depressed.

Finally, nobody is saying you should go to Lewis and Clark over Harvard because it's pretty. We just like looking at cool buildings.

User avatar
Aeon
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby Aeon » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:19 pm

This thread needs more pictures of the loveliest law school campus in America:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Minnietron
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:28 am

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby Minnietron » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:24 pm

Aeon wrote:This thread needs more pictures of the loveliest law school campus in America:


Cornell is so pretty in the snow.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby Tanicius » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:36 am

After almost 7 years on this site, I still don't think there's even a close second to Michigan in this contest. It's particularly hard to get a campus look that works in all seasons; UM wins in all four. Now I will say I've learned that there's such a thing as most beautiful places, too, and almost all of those campuses are probably going to be in California, but there has never been a realistic contender to Michigan's law buildings.

User avatar
Aeon
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby Aeon » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:19 pm

Minnietron wrote:
Aeon wrote:This thread needs more pictures of the loveliest law school campus in America:


Cornell is so pretty in the snow.


Yeah, it does have charm. Somewhat more austere than Michigan's law quad, though.

Image

Image

User avatar
Aeon
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby Aeon » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:34 pm

Tanicius wrote:After almost 7 years on this site, I still don't think there's even a close second to Michigan in this contest. It's particularly hard to get a campus look that works in all seasons; UM wins in all four. Now I will say I've learned that there's such a thing as most beautiful places, too, and almost all of those campuses are probably going to be in California, but there has never been a realistic contender to Michigan's law buildings.


I think this is fair. Ann Arbor is a great, cosmopolitan town, and the Huron river is beautiful, especially when framed by the fiery foliage of fall:

Image

But ultimately Ann Arbor is a city surrounded by farmland, which doesn't yield such breathtaking vistas as, for example, Pepperdine's views of the Pacific Ocean:

Image

I'd also add that the University of Michigan campus doesn't have a grand plan behind its design, so it's something of a mishmash of different architectural styles. But the law quad is a gem, and the Collegiate Gothic style seems particularly well suited for the august study of law. Either way, there's a reason why everybody wants to take pictures there. 8)

tsujimoto74
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:45 pm

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby tsujimoto74 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:22 pm

Brut wrote:i'm so jelly of all of you
this is what my ug campus looked like:


the guy who designed it literally designed prisons


I realize how old this post is, but I'm pretty sure you and I had the same UG. I would recognize that unending brown brick and those awkwardly-proportioned mob-prevention steps anywhere. At least there were hammocks.

User avatar
NycGirl12
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:22 pm

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby NycGirl12 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:45 am

Yale

User avatar
ddoomm
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Postby ddoomm » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:01 pm

Just back from Dickinson's ASW (pictures not mine).

PS: how does one upload pictures to a post?

http://news.psu.edu/sites/default/files ... k=K0jDwHfm

http://media.pennlive.com/patriot-news/ ... d6fedb.jpg




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests