Most beautiful law school? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Post by hipcatdaddio » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:59 pm

You came from Clemson? That explains a lot. Clemson, SC is the middle of nowhere with cow fields on either side of the one road in and out of town. Clemson's scenery is a hill in the background that people claim is "beautiful". Please. The buildings at UNC are scattered because the university was founded in 1789 and has been growing ever since. There are distinct quads (Polk and McCorkle) that house the majority of undergraduate classes and a section of campus further south for the sciences. It's actually a pretty compact campus seeing as how the entire campus can be walked in about 20 minutes. Once again, did you even go to Franklin Street? Every single restaurant and shop has a UNC theme to it. I severely question whether you were in Chapel Hill or Carrboro. They run together, but there is a very distinct difference. Also, "quaint" does not mean the middle of nowhere like Clemson, SC so settle down sparky. Chapel Hill is also far from a "fucking ghetto" considering that Franklin Street is lined with homes over a million dollars. Again, I really have a hard time believing you were in Chapel Hill. I think you may have been in Carrboro. Like I said in an earlier post, the law school itself is not an attractive building, no argument there. But the town of Chapel Hill and the campus as a whole is always considered a top campus in appearance. Clearly we'll have to agree to disagree on this because you probably like mustard-based barbecue, but you're wrong.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:37 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:You came from Clemson? That explains a lot. Clemson, SC is the middle of nowhere with cow fields on either side of the one road in and out of town. Clemson's scenery is a hill in the background that people claim is "beautiful". Please. The buildings at UNC are scattered because the university was founded in 1789 and has been growing ever since. There are distinct quads (Polk and McCorkle) that house the majority of undergraduate classes and a section of campus further south for the sciences. It's actually a pretty compact campus seeing as how the entire campus can be walked in about 20 minutes. Once again, did you even go to Franklin Street? Every single restaurant and shop has a UNC theme to it. I severely question whether you were in Chapel Hill or Carrboro. They run together, but there is a very distinct difference. Also, "quaint" does not mean the middle of nowhere like Clemson, SC so settle down sparky. Chapel Hill is also far from a "fucking ghetto" considering that Franklin Street is lined with homes over a million dollars. Again, I really have a hard time believing you were in Chapel Hill. I think you may have been in Carrboro. Like I said in an earlier post, the law school itself is not an attractive building, no argument there. But the town of Chapel Hill and the campus as a whole is always considered a top campus in appearance. Clearly we'll have to agree to disagree on this because you probably like mustard-based barbecue, but you're wrong.
FWIW I really havent ever heard one person ever say UNC was beautiful. I hear alright things about Duke, Wake Forest, Elon, etc. But NC State and UNC are usually looked down upon, campus wise. Not saying Clemson looks nice, cuz I dont know. Doesnt even have a law school I dont think.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Depends on what you're looking for, but if what you're looking for is Middle Earth/the Forest Moon of Endor, I have to at least mention Lewis and Clark in Portland, OR.

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:42 pm

choward014 wrote:
hipcatdaddio wrote:You came from Clemson? That explains a lot. Clemson, SC is the middle of nowhere with cow fields on either side of the one road in and out of town. Clemson's scenery is a hill in the background that people claim is "beautiful". Please. The buildings at UNC are scattered because the university was founded in 1789 and has been growing ever since. There are distinct quads (Polk and McCorkle) that house the majority of undergraduate classes and a section of campus further south for the sciences. It's actually a pretty compact campus seeing as how the entire campus can be walked in about 20 minutes. Once again, did you even go to Franklin Street? Every single restaurant and shop has a UNC theme to it. I severely question whether you were in Chapel Hill or Carrboro. They run together, but there is a very distinct difference. Also, "quaint" does not mean the middle of nowhere like Clemson, SC so settle down sparky. Chapel Hill is also far from a "fucking ghetto" considering that Franklin Street is lined with homes over a million dollars. Again, I really have a hard time believing you were in Chapel Hill. I think you may have been in Carrboro. Like I said in an earlier post, the law school itself is not an attractive building, no argument there. But the town of Chapel Hill and the campus as a whole is always considered a top campus in appearance. Clearly we'll have to agree to disagree on this because you probably like mustard-based barbecue, but you're wrong.
FWIW I really havent ever heard one person ever say UNC was beautiful. I hear alright things about Duke, Wake Forest, Elon, etc. But NC State and UNC are usually looked down upon, campus wise. Not saying Clemson looks nice, cuz I dont know. Doesnt even have a law school I dont think.
While I could post numerous pointless rankings of beautiful campuses that UNC appears on (again, overall campus, not law school), it's clear that me and the poster a couple pages ago that listed UNC as a beautiful campus (the post that started this whole disagreement) will simply disagree with those who do not view it as such. Since I haven't posted 100 times, I can't embed pictures, otherwise I would do that as opposed to continuing this pointless argument. I will say that Duke/Elon/Wake are all very attractive campuses, but there is a world of difference in visual appeal (and other things) between UNC and NC State. NC State is consistently mentioned as one of the ugliest campuses in America. I would greatly encourage anybody to go to Chapel Hill and explore the campus/town. I still don't know what the guy from Clemson is going on about, but as I said earlier, I can live with just agreeing to disagree on the beauty of the campus.

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:52 pm

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ekkf45i/ ... -hill-n-c/

http://www.thebestcolleges.org/most-beautiful-campuses/

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattortile/scen ... instagram/

I know I said the "most beautiful campus" rankings were pointless, and they are, but just to acknowledge the fact that I'm not nearly the only person who thinks UNC has a beautiful campus. Note: the buzzfeed article didn't even capture the most beautiful parts of campus. hahaha.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:08 pm

lisjjen wrote:Depends on what you're looking for, but if what you're looking for is Middle Earth/the Forest Moon of Endor, I have to at least mention Lewis and Clark in Portland, OR.

(Images redacted to save space)
That is absolutely gorgeous. Wow.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:21 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ekkf45i/ ... -hill-n-c/

I know I said the "most beautiful campus" rankings were pointless, and they are, but just to acknowledge the fact that I'm not nearly the only person who thinks UNC has a beautiful campus. Note: the buzzfeed article didn't even capture the most beautiful parts of campus. hahaha.
On the buzzfeed rankings, the three schools I have worked for are 8, 11, and 14. I mean, I'm not like I'd ever go work for some slummy #26th ranked Princeton University, but I still like my luck!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:11 pm

Surprise! My hideous school never makes these lists.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:36 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
hipcatdaddio wrote:http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ekkf45i/ ... -hill-n-c/

On the buzzfeed rankings, the three schools I have worked for are 8, 11, and 14. I mean, I'm not like I'd ever go work for some slummy #26th ranked Princeton University, but I still like my luck!
They chose the strangest pics for WUSTL I'm ir8.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:58 pm

They should just show the new b-school pictures for WUSTL.

irish921

New

Post by irish921 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:03 pm

NC State is hella ugly on the legacy campus. Centennial campus stepped up to the plate though, and is a legit mix of glass and grass.

UNC is just a prototypical small town university setting. There are nice areas, and not-so-nice areas. Wake and Duke, as previously stated, blow both out of the water.

But I will note that people have been getting mugged around UNC all the time recently.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:49 am

I am going to semi-revive this thread with an image from a Canadian school (McGill), which I would not call the most beautiful, but definitely up there

http://i.dawn.com/2012/10/mcgill-law-un ... eal-06.jpg

cal2013

Bronze

Post by cal2013 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:43 pm

http://www.berkeleyside.com/wp-content/ ... panile.jpg

https://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.co ... .jpg?w=640

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RPDN41wUGYg/T ... G_0054.jpg

Boalt is nothing spectacular to look at, but I absolutely love Berkeley's campus. Maybe I'm partial as an undergrad alum though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thisone2014

Bronze

Post by thisone2014 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:07 am

cal2013 wrote:http://www.berkeleyside.com/wp-content/ ... panile.jpg

https://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.co ... .jpg?w=640

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RPDN41wUGYg/T ... G_0054.jpg

Boalt is nothing spectacular to look at, but I absolutely love Berkeley's campus. Maybe I'm partial as an undergrad alum though.

That top pic is gorgeous

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:06 am

Beauty of campus should not even be a factor. You'll be "wow'ed" the first time you have a walkthrough of the campus, then it all becomes irrelevant. I say this because I am an alumnus from what is supposedly a very beautiful campus (UCLA) and I stopped caring after the orientation week (undergrad).

What really matters are:

1. Distance from dorm/parking lot/apartment to the lecture hall.
2. Parking situation around the campus + dorms (UCLA is especially notorious for this)
3. Ease of access to public restrooms (this matters more the larger the campus)
4. Access to coffee + snack shops from the classroom

Sure, too many parking lots, restrooms, and commercial shops could mean unpleasant atmosphere and unaesthetic surroundings but you will be thankful during your stay at the campus.

sollos

Bronze

Post by sollos » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:37 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote:You'll be "wow'ed" the first time you have a walkthrough of the campus, then it all becomes irrelevant. I say this because I am an alumnus from what is supposedly a very beautiful campus (UCLA) and I stopped caring after the orientation week (undergrad).
Maybe if your aesthetic senses are as dull as a table, that or the place you're at really isn't pretty. That's like suggesting one could tire of looking at Michelangelo's Pieta.

I never once got over the beauty of where I lived at my MA for the two years I was there. Each day in each season was an utter pleasure to just walk the streets and take it all in.

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:29 pm

It matters less than other factors, but it matters. And it matters different amounts to different people. For what it's worth, I go to a school with a shit building (on an otherwise beautiful campus) and I have never stopped noticing how gross the building is.

And some people's happiness can be effected by their surroundings. So while to some it wouldn't matter if they go to a school that looks like the prison in The Walking Dead, for others that would make them depressed.

Finally, nobody is saying you should go to Lewis and Clark over Harvard because it's pretty. We just like looking at cool buildings.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:19 pm

This thread needs more pictures of the loveliest law school campus in America:

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:24 pm

Aeon wrote:This thread needs more pictures of the loveliest law school campus in America:
Cornell is so pretty in the snow.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:36 am

After almost 7 years on this site, I still don't think there's even a close second to Michigan in this contest. It's particularly hard to get a campus look that works in all seasons; UM wins in all four. Now I will say I've learned that there's such a thing as most beautiful places, too, and almost all of those campuses are probably going to be in California, but there has never been a realistic contender to Michigan's law buildings.

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:19 pm

Minnietron wrote:
Aeon wrote:This thread needs more pictures of the loveliest law school campus in America:
Cornell is so pretty in the snow.
Yeah, it does have charm. Somewhat more austere than Michigan's law quad, though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:34 pm

Tanicius wrote:After almost 7 years on this site, I still don't think there's even a close second to Michigan in this contest. It's particularly hard to get a campus look that works in all seasons; UM wins in all four. Now I will say I've learned that there's such a thing as most beautiful places, too, and almost all of those campuses are probably going to be in California, but there has never been a realistic contender to Michigan's law buildings.
I think this is fair. Ann Arbor is a great, cosmopolitan town, and the Huron river is beautiful, especially when framed by the fiery foliage of fall:

But ultimately Ann Arbor is a city surrounded by farmland, which doesn't yield such breathtaking vistas as, for example, Pepperdine's views of the Pacific Ocean:

I'd also add that the University of Michigan campus doesn't have a grand plan behind its design, so it's something of a mishmash of different architectural styles. But the law quad is a gem, and the Collegiate Gothic style seems particularly well suited for the august study of law. Either way, there's a reason why everybody wants to take pictures there. 8)

tsujimoto74

Bronze

Post by tsujimoto74 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:22 pm

Brut wrote:i'm so jelly of all of you
this is what my ug campus looked like:

the guy who designed it literally designed prisons
I realize how old this post is, but I'm pretty sure you and I had the same UG. I would recognize that unending brown brick and those awkwardly-proportioned mob-prevention steps anywhere. At least there were hammocks.

NycGirl12

New

Post by NycGirl12 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:45 am

Yale

ddoomm

New

Post by ddoomm » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:01 pm

Just back from Dickinson's ASW (pictures not mine).

PS: how does one upload pictures to a post?

http://news.psu.edu/sites/default/files ... k=K0jDwHfm

http://media.pennlive.com/patriot-news/ ... d6fedb.jpg

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”