Most beautiful law school? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Glasseyes

Silver

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Post by Glasseyes » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:21 pm

I'd like to see Michigan in person (but will not, since they rejected me), but Cornell was incredible. As if the school itself isn't gorgeous enough, right in the middle of campus there's a suspension bridge across a gorge with a view of not one but TWO waterfalls. Possibly the prettiest, most awesome thing I've seen in years.

And the ugliest I've seen in person would definitely be the University of DC, which I accidentally wandered past while visiting Georgetown. It looked like a monument to oppression, only shittier.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:38 pm

Glasseyes wrote:I'd like to see Michigan in person (but will not, since they rejected me), but Cornell was incredible. As if the school itself isn't gorgeous enough, right in the middle of campus there's a suspension bridge across a gorge with a view of not one but TWO waterfalls. Possibly the prettiest, most awesome thing I've seen in years.

And the ugliest I've seen in person would definitely be the University of DC, which I accidentally wandered past while visiting Georgetown. It looked like a monument to oppression, only shittier.
:lol:

New

Post by 92653 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:28 am

Now that I'm officially an SLS troll, I am going to have to pipe up on behalf of Stanford. So, okay, maybe the Law School isn't classically gorgeous, but the campus itself (have you -seen- the drive up to the oval?) is such a California stunner I can't.
Though, having visited YLS*, I found it beautiful (but also, the whole campus seems like an abandoned movie set for some King Arthur-type movie). U Chi is also really pretty (though the dead ivy right now isn't a fantastic look), and I actually think the modern-looking D'Angelo Library building is flippin' sweet (#datreflectinpoollyf3)
I've also visited CLS and HLS. Okay, maybe I'm a little bit of a walking lol-jk, but Columbia's main quad is super cool and I even liked the law building.... (I took some great pictures but can't post at this point -- #struggs). The biggest plus for HLS is that the internal facilities are really great, the Ames Courtroom gets major points, and it's a full law campus, which Harvsters def needs to get credit for.

But there's my .02. Finally done with law school visits. :)

*This was not because I got in -- lolz. I went to see some "sport" thing and got bored midway so went exploring.

doctoroflaw91

Bronze

Post by doctoroflaw91 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:44 am

I would say that UW-Madison has to be pretty far up there in terms of beautiful campuses. The law school sits on a grassy hill, and on the other side of the hill is a gorgeous lake.

UMich11

Bronze

Post by UMich11 » Sat May 03, 2014 4:23 pm

Glasseyes wrote:I'd like to see Michigan in person (but will not, since they rejected me), but Cornell was incredible. As if the school itself isn't gorgeous enough, right in the middle of campus there's a suspension bridge across a gorge with a view of not one but TWO waterfalls. Possibly the prettiest, most awesome thing I've seen in years.

i think it's locally known as suicide bridge? No?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tkim129

New

Post by tkim129 » Sat May 03, 2014 5:02 pm

JG Hall (of Columbia Law) is sometimes referred to by us as "The Toaster" -- because it's a hideously gray and boxy post-modern disaster of a building.

Towering over the entrance of JG is a sculpture of "Bellerophon Taming Pegasus," which is a cluster fuck of a statute showing a man committing what patently looks like animal cruelty on a horse (which pretty much represents the experience of all us CLS 1Ls).

The interior basically mimics the interior of a corporate office, probably to accustom all of us to the fact that we are mostly all destined to serve corporate America throughout our careers.
--
The rest of Columbia's Morningside campus, however, is quite pretty and can stand toe-to-toe with any other campus in the country.

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Sun May 04, 2014 3:57 pm

UMich11 wrote:

i think it's locally known as suicide bridge? No?
Yeah, I've learned that since visiting. Apparently Cornell had (at least at one point) the highest suicide rate amongst some grouping of schools (top ranked? east coast? who knows), and it was tied directly to the weather and the existence of that bridge. Nowadays the bridge is completely netted in and would be impossible to leap from, and they have security cameras at both entrances that are supposedly continuously monitored. You could still find plenty of other ways to leap into that gorge if you were determined though. Good times. (Still hope I get off reserve!)

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Sun May 04, 2014 4:15 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

nklotz

New

Post by nklotz » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:30 pm

doctoroflaw91 wrote:I would say that UW-Madison has to be pretty far up there in terms of beautiful campuses. The law school sits on a grassy hill, and on the other side of the hill is a gorgeous lake.

I can't believe you're the first to say this. Went there for UG and am convinced Madison is the perfect college town. The Law school building itself isn't terribly impressive but the fact that it sits right on Bascom and has that perfect view down State to the Capitol...man. Can't wait to get back there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Serett

Post by Serett » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:47 pm

nklotz wrote:
doctoroflaw91 wrote:I would say that UW-Madison has to be pretty far up there in terms of beautiful campuses. The law school sits on a grassy hill, and on the other side of the hill is a gorgeous lake.

I can't believe you're the first to say this. Went there for UG and am convinced Madison is the perfect college town. The Law school building itself isn't terribly impressive but the fact that it sits right on Bascom and has that perfect view down State to the Capitol...man. Can't wait to get back there.
I went there for undergrad and can't in good faith support it for the law school, specifically. Bascom is gorgeous, the lakes are gorgeous, the view toward the Capitol is gorgeous, Madison is gorgeous, but the law school? Ehhhhhh. It's not as bad as Mosse Humanities, but it's by no means a splendor, either. The renovated portions are nice enough, but I think that old, beige stone characterizing the law school, North/South Hall, etc, is a huge detractor from the aesthetics.

scandk

Bronze

Post by scandk » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:43 am

Dunno if someone posted, but I thought Georgetown was really nice.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:40 am

No SMU? Ive lived in Dallas almost my whole life and I'm still amazed by how gorgeous it is despite being in the middle of a huge surburban area. Not only is the campus fantastic, but the law school tops it off.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_YA1CB6FPEA8/T ... fa2d_o.jpg

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/sch ... el/SMU.jpg

Those are the law school and the quad.

This is the quad facing the other direction with downtown Dallas in the background

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... _8387..jpg

And this is just the whole campus

http://image.51diy.org/UniPicture/US/Un ... ampus2.jpg

The only campuses I've seen in this thread that beat that IMO are Michigan and WUSTL...maybe Pepperdine just cuz its on the beach. The law school doesn't compare at all to SMU's though.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:57 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:15 pm

Also, SMU is in the best location of most of these schools IMO. 5 minutes away from downtown Dallas and recruits in the metroplex as good as anybody. (recruiting part doesnt have anything to do with beauty, just surprised it hasn't been on here yet)

Those pics speak for themselves!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:33 pm

Props on the fountain but let's be realistic here - probably two dozen schools in the south have those boring quads with the dome building. It's like the colonial Protestant church steeple half of all US campuses have. Snooze.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:12 pm

scandk wrote:Dunno if someone posted, but I thought Georgetown was really nice.
Outed as prole.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:48 am

i'm so jelly of all of you
this is what my ug campus looked like:

the guy who designed it literally designed prisons

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:21 am

bernaldiaz wrote:I'll rate the ones I've seen so far, mainly because I am bored and cant fall asleep. This is a combination of both the actual law building and also the surrounding campus.

1) UVA
2) ND
3) Yale
4) Harvard
5) Northwestern
6) Columbia
7) Duke
8) Chicago
Stanford?
Michigan?
Berkeley?
Cornell?
Vanderbilt?
UCLA?
WUSTL?
U-Washington?
Emory?

Not that your list isn't nice, but mine is just as nice. I don't think you can do just eight schools.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:13 am

Adjudicator wrote:UW:
Get 'em! They don't know nuthin' about this!

UW-Seattle: One of the top-15 prettiest campuses in the country

Seattle: One of the top-5 prettiest cities, and #1 in the minds of a lot of non-Seattleites.

My freshman year I had two courses in the building to the right of that fountain.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:29 pm

Tanicius wrote:Props on the fountain but let's be realistic here - probably two dozen schools in the south have those boring quads with the dome building. It's like the colonial Protestant church steeple half of all US campuses have. Snooze.
Not for nothing, but BI just rated SMU's campus as the 13th best. Ahead of many notable schools including Stanford. Although, at the end of the day this thread will easily indicate that a campus is as nice as its students make it out to be.

My point was that I was just surprised that it had not been listed yet, because it really is a pretty campus. I'm not even a student, plus I'm a guy who has been forced to look for parking there on many occasions lol. I still am amazed by how green and well kept it is compared to its heavily suburban surroundings.

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:41 am

MistakenGenius wrote:
jlnoa0915 wrote:
legalized wrote:
jlnoa0915 wrote:UNC, Wake, and Villanova have my vote (from the ones I visited)
Which one takes the goldout of those 3?
1. UNC
2. Villanova
3. Wake

thats as a whole, Villanova has the nicest law building of them all.
UNC, really? I don't think I've ever seen as miserable of a campus as Chapel Hill. Also the worst city I've ever seen. Complete shithole.
Well if you went to Chapel Hill looking for a city, that would be your first mistake. It's a college town. It's a southern college town. What more do you want? I agree that the law school building in and of itself is less than appealing, but the campus and town are gorgeous. Durham is shithole outside of Duke's campus. Chapel Hill is incredibly nice, quaint, and yet lively on weekends. Again, if you were in Durham, I would understand why you would say it's a crappy city.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:42 pm

OU is pretty nice too. Really close knit campus, great college town, and good campus. The law building is pretty nice, but I'd venture to say that the housing for students is among the best I've ever seen for law students. They have a specific facility for law students thats pretty amazing. Has a really cool looking pool, a putting green, a v ball court, and really nice rooms. But as far as the law school, I guess its not THAT noticable, but it still is nicer than some of these that I've seen imo.

If only it was a better school...

Serett

Post by Serett » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:48 pm

sublime wrote:Shit, you guys should see WUSTL's brand new Business school. Makes our LS appear TTT lol.

I couldn't find too many good pictures becasue it is so new, but:
While I can't in good faith vouch for the beauty of Wisconsin's law building, its business school is also ridiculously nice.

Main entrance:

Aerial shot with the building at the bottom:

A waterfall wall just because:

vicpin5190

Silver

Post removed.

Post by vicpin5190 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:34 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:52 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”