Weird feelings about WashU

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Andrew the Wolverine

Weird feelings about WashU

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:47 pm

I visited WashU this week, and I had sort of a weird reaction to it. I loved the city, the campus is gorgeous, the facilities look really nice, the class I attended was well-run, everyone was very friendly, and overall I really liked what I saw. But there is this strange, nagging feeling that I have that I won't fit in. It's not something I can put a finger on, it wasn't anything anybody said or did, or anything I saw, but part of me feels that it's not for me. I have no idea why. I visited and I really wanted to fall in love with the place because it's a great school, but I don't know what is making me feel this way. Maybe it's a private school thing, because I've always attended really big public schools and I feel comfortable at large university settings. Maybe it was the layout of the school that threw me a little, because it's so different than what I'm used to. After visiting Iowa and Illinois the next two days, I felt much more comfortable at those campuses than WashU, and they are comparably ranked. Anybody else ever have these kinds of feelings after visiting new schools? I'd love to hear if anybody else felt similarly, and what reasons they have for it.

zozin

Re: Weird feelings about WashU

Postby zozin » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:08 pm

If UIUC is giving you comparable $, and you feel more comfortable going there, the difference in ranking isn't going to make a difference in the long run.

dk84

Postby dk84 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:52 pm

If it isn't right... it isn't right. If you don't think you're going to fit in there, having a shaky first year isn't worth it, plus the other schools you've mentioned are great as well. Sometimes you've gotta go with your gut. Cut your loses if you realize it isn't the right place for you.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:03 pm

I agree with the above two posters. If it doesn't feel right, then it could be an odd fit for you, especially if you don't know what it is that's bugging you about it. If we were talking about Yale or Harvard, then I'd say suck it up and go. But Illinois and Wash U are comparable enough that if you feel better at UIUC, you should go there. I personally am turning down tons of money at UIUC for Wash U, mostly because the campus at UIUC sucks, I can't stand Champaign, and I know I won't be happy there for three years. If you don't think you'll be happy at WUSTL, then I'd go to Iowa or UIUC.

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:00 am

romothesavior wrote:I agree with the above two posters. If it doesn't feel right, then it could be an odd fit for you, especially if you don't know what it is that's bugging you about it. If we were talking about Yale or Harvard, then I'd say suck it up and go. But Illinois and Wash U are comparable enough that if you feel better at UIUC, you should go there. I personally am turning down tons of money at UIUC for Wash U, mostly because the campus at UIUC sucks, I can't stand Champaign, and I know I won't be happy there for three years. If you don't think you'll be happy at WUSTL, then I'd go to Iowa or UIUC.

I'm curious, what did you hate so much about UIUC? I only took a personal tour of the law school (i.e. not official) and drove around the campus. I didn't see anything terribly objectionable, so I'm wondering what you didn't like about it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:04 am

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I agree with the above two posters. If it doesn't feel right, then it could be an odd fit for you, especially if you don't know what it is that's bugging you about it. If we were talking about Yale or Harvard, then I'd say suck it up and go. But Illinois and Wash U are comparable enough that if you feel better at UIUC, you should go there. I personally am turning down tons of money at UIUC for Wash U, mostly because the campus at UIUC sucks, I can't stand Champaign, and I know I won't be happy there for three years. If you don't think you'll be happy at WUSTL, then I'd go to Iowa or UIUC.

I'm curious, what did you hate so much about UIUC? I only took a personal tour of the law school (i.e. not official) and drove around the campus. I didn't see anything terribly objectionable, so I'm wondering what you didn't like about it.

Its not that I hated UIUC, but more that I just need a change of lifestyle. I am from a city really close to Champaign and go to undergrad in a city really close to Champaign. Both of the places I have lived are similar in size to Champaign. I want to be in a city. I also just found WUSTL to be far, far nicer than UIUC. I was really turned off by their law building and the surrounding campus. I think I would go crazy if I went there for 3 years.

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:11 am

romothesavior wrote:

Its not that I hated UIUC, but more that I just need a change of lifestyle. I am from a city really close to Champaign and go to undergrad in a city really close to Champaign. Both of the places I have lived are similar in size to Champaign. I want to be in a city. I also just found WUSTL to be far, far nicer than UIUC. I was really turned off by their law building and the surrounding campus. I think I would go crazy if I went there for 3 years.

Yeah I think I know what you mean. I definitely liked Iowa City more than Champaign, but then again, I felt a little more comfortable at UIUC than WUSTL. I guess it's all about your own personal view, no two people are going to want the same exact thing. It's bugging me that I liked St Louis so much, and liked WUSTL campus so much, and the people there were great, but I still don't feel 100% like I want to go there. Maybe it's a sign that it's just not for me.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:18 am

romothesavior wrote:

Yeah I think I know what you mean. I definitely liked Iowa City more than Champaign, but then again, I felt a little more comfortable at UIUC than WUSTL. I guess it's all about your own personal view, no two people are going to want the same exact thing. It's bugging me that I liked St Louis so much, and liked WUSTL campus so much, and the people there were great, but I still don't feel 100% like I want to go there. Maybe it's a sign that it's just not for me.

I think it would help if you could pinpoint what exactly is bothering you. Maybe you'll never arrive at a conclusion, but it is definitely something worth thinking long and hard about. It sounds like you were impressed with all the "soft factors" that most students consider (city, campus, student life, etc.), but something is just not right. If you can figure out what it is that's bothering you, you can weigh that against the pros/cons of the other schools.

Everyone is going to have doubts about which LS they choose to attend (unless you go to Harvard or Yale, or you've got an Operasoprano mindset and are just in LOVE with the school you're choosing). Even I have doubts about Wash U and its placement capabilities, despite the fact that I love Dean Spivey and I think it is a great school for the midwest. Although I'm excited about being in St. Louis, I'm also nervous for a huge lifestyle change that it brings for me. I guess what I'm trying to say is you're going to have some lingering doubts no matter where you go. If you really don't think you can fit in at Wash U, then you should by all means pick Iowa or Illinois. But if it is just some pre-law school jitters or something, then you should think long and hard about discarding WUSTL.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:33 am

OP, I know what you're talking about. I visited Iowa and Wisc and felt more comfortable at Iowa. There's certainly nothing wrong w/ Wisc. (i could definitely love Madison), and it's definitely still in the running, but I just felt like Iowa was a great fit. Sometimes you just can't put your feelings into words but you can feel it...don't go to WUSTL if you have doubts

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:55 am

Slimpee wrote:OP, I know what you're talking about. I visited Iowa and Wisc and felt more comfortable at Iowa. There's certainly nothing wrong w/ Wisc. (i could definitely love Madison), and it's definitely still in the running, but I just felt like Iowa was a great fit. Sometimes you just can't put your feelings into words but you can feel it...don't go to WUSTL if you have doubts

Yeah it's not that there is anything wrong with WashU, but I did feel like Iowa was a better fit. I don't know if the difference in quality between WUSTL and Iowa is terribly significant. I do think, though, that going to a place where you feel more comfortable might make up for a small difference in reputation and overall educational strength.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:19 pm

Slimpee wrote:OP, I know what you're talking about. I visited Iowa and Wisc and felt more comfortable at Iowa. There's certainly nothing wrong w/ Wisc. (i could definitely love Madison), and it's definitely still in the running, but I just felt like Iowa was a great fit. Sometimes you just can't put your feelings into words but you can feel it...don't go to WUSTL if you have doubts

Yeah it's not that there is anything wrong with WashU, but I did feel like Iowa was a better fit. I don't know if the difference in quality between WUSTL and Iowa is terribly significant. I do think, though, that going to a place where you feel more comfortable might make up for a small difference in reputation and overall educational strength.

I visited WashU several times and I agree, the campus and and city are AMAZING. With that said, the student body at WashU seems characteristically different from Iowa and Illinois (the two schools I am currently deciding between). WashU for the most part to me has always seemed very East Coast (with exceptions) and serious which is of course great for some but not all. Of all the three I've looked at, Iowa seems to be the most laid back. Illinois is somewhere in between.

I fell in love with St. Louis during my visits but personally am opting for a more laid-back (and cheaper) education so I can move there after graduation and take advantage of the city when I have the time and money. I agree with the above posters. If you aren't feeling it and don't think the experience will be what you want it to, don't go there.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:26 pm

OP, I had the same reaction when I visited a different school about a month ago. There was a great scholly offer, but when I walked in there I knew instantly that this was not the place for me, I didn't like the feeling I got, and felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb. While rankings and location should be considerations, I made my choice based on my gut. I knew I had made the right choice when my school fell in the rankings, and i didn't really care all that much. Or, maybe I am just retarded.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”