Embarrassing Moments during ASDs

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
entrechatsix

Re: Embarrassing Moments during ASDs

Postby entrechatsix » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:25 am

god, i love this thread. that lsu thread is cringeworthy. i think that if some of these things happened to me i'd be too embarrassed to actually matriculate.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:27 am

hiromoto45 wrote:
John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:
TXDeac wrote:At U. Chicago, the auditorium has microphones at every seat for people to ask questions to the panel speakers. While the tech people were getting ready for the Dean to speak to us, Dean Perry (admissions dean) was up on stage as well.

One admitted student in the crowd turns on his mic and proceeds to say "Dean Perry... Dean Perry..." trying to get her attention.

We can all hear it (it's playing through the auditorium sound system), but she doesn't seem to. Finally she perks up, looks around, he starts directing her with instructions like, "over to your left. I'm over here."

Conversation is as follows between Dean Perry (DP) and Admitted Student (AS):

DP: Yes? Can I help you?
*awkward silence*
AS: What's up?
DP: I'm sorry, is there something wrong?
AS: Nope.
DP: Ok, well those mics are not supposed to be on. Thank you for reminding us.

She actually kept her cool pretty well in a terribly awkward situation, but I definitely thought it was unnecessary on the part of the kid. I met him later that night and he said he was just trying to lighten the mood because he thought everyone at the law school was too uptight... or something like that.

Yeah, unnecessary. But I'd say her response was sort of uptight. How about, "not much, what's up with you?" Or at least... something... friendly?

She could have reacted like you said but this is a law school ASW not undergrad. The kid acted like a total douche or freshman in high school that didn't take his ritalin. Makes you question what got him into UC. I think he was the guy wearing the superman sweatshirt just shows his immaturity.

Probably a really high GPA and LSAT score. I'm not judging his action, I'm judging her reaction. At LS or UG, I would respond more favorably to a friendly administration.

TXDeac

Postby TXDeac » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:34 am

Rambo, not sure if you were at that Chicago ASW, but you do have a decent point. Dean Perry did come off as a rather cold administrative personality every time I saw her around the school. The Fin. Aid. and Career Services Deans were beyond friendly, though. People just differ from time to time.

Moreover, I'm sure the ASW is an unbelievably stressful time for an Admissions Dean. This, compounded with the fact that she was on stage having difficulty with the mic before Dean Schill could come on, made it a really bad time for that kid to act up like that. It was pretty "class clown" ish, and while it got a few giggles, most people just sat there feeling as awkward as Dean Perry probably did.

And yea, as noted by an earlier poster, he was wearing a Superman shirt later. That said, I don't want to rag on the guy. I'm going to be in his 1L class if he matriculates to Chicago, and I'm sure he has some redeeming qualities. His actions in that moment, however, perfectly fit this thread.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:40 am

TXDeac wrote:Rambo, not sure if you were at that Chicago ASW, but you do have a decent point. Dean Perry did come off as a rather cold administrative personality every time I saw her around the school. The Fin. Aid. and Career Services Deans were beyond friendly, though. People just differ from time to time.

Moreover, I'm sure the ASW is an unbelievably stressful time for an Admissions Dean. This, compounded with the fact that she was on stage having difficulty with the mic before Dean Schill could come on, made it a really bad time for that kid to act up like that. It was pretty "class clown" ish, and while it got a few giggles, most people just sat there feeling as awkward as Dean Perry probably did.

And yea, as noted by an earlier poster, he was wearing a Superman shirt later. That said, I don't want to rag on the guy. I'm going to be in his 1L class if he matriculates to Chicago, and I'm sure he has some redeeming qualities. His actions in that moment, however, perfectly fit this thread.

Nope, I wasn't there. No judgments on U of C as a whole or even Dean Perry outside of this one (admittedly difficult and awkward :lol:) scenario.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:16 pm

This thread is amazing!

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:52 pm

The LSU story is hilarious, a must read.

I'll share one...

This took place while everyone was gathering in the entrance area at Iowa's ASD. They were serving some coffee, muffins, pastries, etc. for everyone to munch on while we waited to be herded into the auditorium. Now, I have to preface by saying at this moment, at 9:00 in the morning, I was pretty exhausted from the previous night. I drove down with one of my friends, arriving at about 11:00 PM and spent the night at the bars til about 2:30. Got back to the hotel and didn't get more than like, 2 hours of sleep. So anyway, I grab a glazed donut or something and some coffee and I start talking to another prospective student. At this point, all I am concerned with is sucking down coffee and trying to wake myself up, although I am still making conversation and whatnot. After about 5 minutes or so of talking there is a brief pause in the conversation and she starts looking some other direction. I look down and realize I am now holding a plate with no glazed donut. I think, "Where the fuck is my donut?" Well, turns out at some point I must have decided to hold my plate sideways, because I discovered the donut about 7 feet from me on the floor.

No clue if the girl I was talking to noticed (or anyone else, for that matter), but I sure as hell didn't.

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:59 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:
TXDeac wrote:At U. Chicago, the auditorium has microphones at every seat for people to ask questions to the panel speakers. While the tech people were getting ready for the Dean to speak to us, Dean Perry (admissions dean) was up on stage as well.

One admitted student in the crowd turns on his mic and proceeds to say "Dean Perry... Dean Perry..." trying to get her attention.

We can all hear it (it's playing through the auditorium sound system), but she doesn't seem to. Finally she perks up, looks around, he starts directing her with instructions like, "over to your left. I'm over here."

Conversation is as follows between Dean Perry (DP) and Admitted Student (AS):

DP: Yes? Can I help you?
*awkward silence*
AS: What's up?
DP: I'm sorry, is there something wrong?
AS: Nope.
DP: Ok, well those mics are not supposed to be on. Thank you for reminding us.

She actually kept her cool pretty well in a terribly awkward situation, but I definitely thought it was unnecessary on the part of the kid. I met him later that night and he said he was just trying to lighten the mood because he thought everyone at the law school was too uptight... or something like that.

Yeah, unnecessary. But I'd say her response was sort of uptight. How about, "not much, what's up with you?" Or at least... something... friendly?

She could have reacted like you said but this is a law school ASW not undergrad. The kid acted like a total douche or freshman in high school that didn't take his ritalin. Makes you question what got him into UC. I think he was the guy wearing the superman sweatshirt just shows his immaturity.

Yeah, I was there for that too, and though she acted a little abruptly, it wasn't really rude. I found her to be quite a nice person.

bworsowicz

Postby bworsowicz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:24 pm

On the way to an ASD, my wife asked me how this would differ from the applicant visit day we had attended in the fall. I told her I wasn't sure, but since it was on a Saturday, I was fairly sure I wouldn't be sitting in on a class. After a very interesting presentation by an '08 grad who recently helped get a high-profile (locally) murder trial thrown out, we had a panel discussion of some of the practical and experiential programs. Then we sat down for lunch - the exact same menu from November - and listened to TWO powerpoint presentations which were identical to what we had seen in November, and were joined at lunch by the same "student ambassadors" from November. I wasn't embarrassed, but I feel like maybe the school should have been.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:29 pm

At an ASW a girl walked into a wall when turning a corner to our next event.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:32 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:At an ASW a girl walked into a wall when turning a corner to our next event.

This one made me laugh. Its immature, but people mildly hurting themselves gets me every time.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:34 pm

Me and Gah did the worlds worst rendition of "Just a Girl" by No Doubt during karaoke at NU/UChi ASW.

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:35 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
eldizknee wrote:Oh man, did not expect that level of detail in the response. Thank you for indulging me. And that was a pretty good freakout.

I can't sleep, and Money Mom haunts my dreams anyways, so I was able to type it out pretty fast.

I called my own Mom after (who was about 500 miles away from the ASD) to tell her I loved her.

LMAO i just read this thread and your detailed story on the other page and gave a good lol at it. that's truly epic.

oh, and i just hugged my mom also.

:lol: :lol:

bigchris1313

Postby bigchris1313 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:36 pm

LSU story is made of pure win.

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:38 pm

I was in a small group talking to a professor and he was speaking about some aspects of a case in property law (as an example of the type of thing we would study). A fellow prospective proceeded to contradict him about the case- that the professor had been directly involved in. The professor just looked at him for a second and continued speaking as if the kid wasn't there.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:54 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:I was in a small group talking to a professor and he was speaking about some aspects of a case in property law (as an example of the type of thing we would study). A fellow prospective proceeded to contradict him about the case- that the professor had been directly involved in. The professor just looked at him for a second and continued speaking as if the kid wasn't there.

Haha fail

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”