Parents on ASD?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)

Re: Parents on ASD?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:31 am

Why do you all value your parents judgments on law schools? Have they educated themselves on law school?

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:36 am

Desert Fox wrote:Why do you all value your parents judgments on law schools? Have they educated themselves on law school?

My mom has been talking to all sorts of people, doing research, etc...it's pretty cute and I really appreciate it!

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:09 pm

gator08

Postby gator08 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:21 pm

I recommend coming solo, when you have guests, especially parents, they seem more like baggage. To put it in perspective its like being in the bridal party for a wedding but yet bringing a date. It's more fun when you're not worried about your date, if that helps.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:29 pm

gator08 wrote:I recommend coming solo, when you have guests, especially parents, they seem more like baggage. To put it in perspective its like being in the bridal party for a wedding but yet bringing a date. It's more fun when you're not worried about your date, if that helps.

+1. I went solo, and I think I met way more people that I would have if I would have brought someone with me that I had to worry about.

nascent

Postby nascent » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:52 pm

Bringing parents or anyone for that matter IMO can become a nuisance when you want to network with your future classmates and what not. :|

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:28 am

nascent wrote:Bringing parents or anyone for that matter IMO can become a nuisance when you want to network with your future classmates and what not. :|

lol @ networking with future classmates...

only because you've got three years plus that don't even begin until months after an ASW.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:44 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
nascent wrote:Bringing parents or anyone for that matter IMO can become a nuisance when you want to network with your future classmates and what not. :|

only because you've got three years plus that don't even begin until months after an ASW.

NO PREZ! It's a great time to set up study groups, compare acne treatment, etc.. You don't want your parents there for that!!

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:16 am

amyLAchemist wrote:.

Terrific avatar.

millieb

Postby millieb » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:35 am

Don't bring parents to ASD, it's time for us to be big kids. Especially if they like to ask a lot of questions and result in you having to babysit them.

On a separate but related note, if you bring your significant other, try to keep your hands to yourself for the day. I was at an ASD last weekend and was pretty shocked by the couples that had their arms around each other the whole day during presentations and everything. It was awkward seeing couples practically cuddling in desks as the dean was giving his speech. Seriously, bring mom and dad before bringing someone simply to "hold you" during ASD.

(Sorry for the rant)

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:45 am

millieb wrote:Don't bring parents to ASD, it's time for us to be big kids. Especially if they like to ask a lot of questions and result in you having to babysit them.

On a separate but related note, if you bring your significant other, try to keep your hands to yourself for the day. I was at an ASD last weekend and was pretty shocked by the couples that had their arms around each other the whole day during presentations and everything. It was awkward seeing couples practically cuddling in desks as the dean was giving his speech. Seriously, bring mom and dad before bringing someone simply to "hold you" during ASD.

(Sorry for the rant)

--ImageRemoved--
Oh, look! A cold fish!

nascent

Postby nascent » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:05 am

Mr. Matlock wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

NO PREZ! It's a great time to set up study groups, compare acne treatment, etc.. You don't want your parents there for that!!

Networking is honestly just a big word for "socializing". It's hard to "socialize" with people when you have your parents around... at least for me it is. :|

JTX

Postby JTX » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:01 am

x
Last edited by JTX on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:17 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

:lol: I don't know why that makes me laugh!

RedSox2010

Postby RedSox2010 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:28 pm

shaville wrote:What is immature isn't bringing your parents- it's being embarrassed by having them there. I remember being embarrassed about having my parents around when I was in 7th grade- but who gives a shit about that now? If you want to bring your parents, for whatever reason, bring them and forget about what everyone else thinks. I mean, they are your family and now that you're an adult you shouldn't have to think about looking uncool or whatever.

Hahaha, couldn't be more true.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:33 pm

RedSox2010 wrote:
shaville wrote:What is immature isn't bringing your parents- it's being embarrassed by having them there. I remember being embarrassed about having my parents around when I was in 7th grade- but who gives a shit about that now? If you want to bring your parents, for whatever reason, bring them and forget about what everyone else thinks. I mean, they are your family and now that you're an adult you shouldn't have to think about looking uncool or whatever.

Hahaha, couldn't be more true.

NERDS!

--ImageRemoved--

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:38 pm

Jeff Mangum wrote:

This is a valid point with respect to people who are embarrassed by parental existence in the 7th grade way you describe. But I think that it is also a mark of maturity to consider what is appropriate to the circumstances and to make some concessions to the reality that first impressions matter, fair or not. Part of being an adult is recognizing that even though you may not personally care about what other people think of you, the opinions of others will often have significant practical consequences for you anyway. People who bring parents to the first organized event at a professional school give the appearance (true or not) of having been insulated and protected from the real-world adult consequences of giving a really bad first impression, which makes them seem relatively immature.

+10

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:40 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
Jeff Mangum wrote:

This is a valid point with respect to people who are embarrassed by parental existence in the 7th grade way you describe. But I think that it is also a mark of maturity to consider what is appropriate to the circumstances and to make some concessions to the reality that first impressions matter, fair or not. Part of being an adult is recognizing that even though you may not personally care about what other people think of you, the opinions of others will often have significant practical consequences for you anyway. People who bring parents to the first organized event at a professional school give the appearance (true or not) of having been insulated and protected from the real-world adult consequences of giving a really bad first impression, which makes them seem relatively immature.

+10

I'd be extraordinarily impressed by anyone who remembered more than one or two people in their 1L class that they met at an ASD.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:43 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
JordynAsh wrote:
Jeff Mangum wrote:

+10

I'd be extraordinarily impressed by anyone who remembered more than one or two people in their 1L class that they met at an ASD.

I'll definitely remember this one guy who I saw being introduced to a couple other ASDers by his mom.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:45 pm

JordynAsh wrote:I'll definitely remember this one guy who I saw being introduced to a couple other ASDers by his mom.

Well, shitty use of discretion by the parentals is probably is more of an exception than a rule. One would hope.

RP1983

Postby RP1983 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:53 pm

What's funny when I was in hs, I would be embarrassed going ANYWHERE with my parents. Now I honestly don't care, but it would be weird if I was the only person there with parents.

RP1983

Postby RP1983 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:16 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
RP1983 wrote:What's funny when I was in hs, I would be embarrassed going ANYWHERE with my parents. Now I honestly don't care, but it would be weird if I was the only person there with parents.

I never had this phase, oddly, which is probably why I don't see the big deal. Perhaps it is because my dad is cool. Or maybe because it was just me and him when I was growing up and we were close.

I think girls generally seem to be more comfortable with that. My sister was just like you. For me I just didn't want to appear "uncool". Now I doubt people really even care.

Muddy

Postby Muddy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:16 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:You know what's great?

Not having a fear of people judging you and sharing the things you do with people you care about. Seriously, nobody cares though. That is all.

I agree.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”