Parents on ASD?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
flyingpanda

Re: Parents on ASD?

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:26 am

calicocat wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'd feel so embarrassed bringing my parents to ASW.

haha you have parents?

Ran here, hai!

WithGrace23

Postby WithGrace23 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:02 am

I've heard not to bring parents, but every ASD I've been to about 1/3 of the people have parents with them, and on virtually every school visit/tour I have been to, people have parents with them.

I personally did not bring my parents, but I don't see why anyone else should care if you bring yours.
Last edited by WithGrace23 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:28 am

calicocat wrote:

haha you have parents?

Hatched.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:18 pm

All of the ASD's I've been to so far have been filled with parents. I haven't brought mine, but I don't see an issue with it if you're just out of UG, traveling far, or your family wants to see the school. Sometimes it can be good to get a second opinion as well.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:You know what's great?

Not having a fear of people judging you and sharing the things you do with people you care about. Seriously, nobody cares though. That is all.

Like almost all things in life, it depends on the time, place, and manner. I think it is great if OP wants to show the school to his parents. But there are ways to do it that would be a little more appropriate than his mommy tagging along during the ASD event.

I just can say from personal experience, it has been awkward seeing parents with their kids at ASD events. I'm obviously not alone. If OP (or you, for that matter) doesn't care about people thinking you're a little immature for having your parents there, then go for it.

Already did the ASW thing last year w/ the pops, and brought both the padres out for family weekend this year. Both wins, in my mind.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:57 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:
calicocat wrote:

haha you have parents?

Ran here, hai!

Weren't you in chat when he told me to clean my room?

moviechicka

Postby moviechicka » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:10 am

I took my best friend because she's considering law school next year, but I don't think it's bad to take your parents. This is especially true if they might have a hand in paying your tuition. There were lots of parents at the ASD I attended. They were typically quiet and just curious about where their kid would be spending the next 3 years of his/her life. No one seemed to care.

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:49 am

You will (and should) feel embarrassed to make friends with your future classmates with your parents by your side. I suggest bringing your parents to the location of the school, but leave 'em at the hotel on the actual ASD events.

kumba84

Postby kumba84 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:35 am

I don't think I saw any parents at NYU's ASD, which kind of surprised me.

shaville

Postby shaville » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:08 am

What is immature isn't bringing your parents- it's being embarrassed by having them there. I remember being embarrassed about having my parents around when I was in 7th grade- but who gives a shit about that now? If you want to bring your parents, for whatever reason, bring them and forget about what everyone else thinks. I mean, they are your family and now that you're an adult you shouldn't have to think about looking uncool or whatever.

amclane

Postby amclane » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:39 am

shaville wrote:What is immature isn't bringing your parents- it's being embarrassed by having them there. I remember being embarrassed about having my parents around when I was in 7th grade- but who gives a shit about that now? If you want to bring your parents, for whatever reason, bring them and forget about what everyone else thinks. I mean, they are your family and now that you're an adult you shouldn't have to think about looking uncool or whatever.

THANK YOU

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:51 am

At an ASD for Notre Dame, the vast majority of people had parents with them. A ton of the parents asked questions, and one mother basically tore into a fin aid person. It was a huge turn off towards the school, I was one of maybe 5 without a parent or sig others. A boyfriend of a prospective asked questions too.

Really changes the vibe of an event.

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:52 am

You might meet hot girls, mom would ruin that.

edited for simplicity
Last edited by Scurredsitless1 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

momo_08

Postby momo_08 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:52 pm

Like many, my mom insisted on traveling with me to ASW but didn't go to the actual event. I had her sent to the mall instead :P. A lot of people did bring their parents though which surprised me but i guess as long as they don't get TOO involved it shouldn't be too bad. I was able to meet some people from the class that i probably wouldn't have talked to had my mom been there so that was the upside, but it was nice that she got to see the town at the same time.

So basically, if you want to bring your parents, make sure they're allowed to come first and then see if they would be the type to talk over you asking all kinds of questions and generally embarassing you.
:)

JTX

Postby JTX » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:56 pm

x
Last edited by JTX on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:59 pm

amclane wrote:I would disagree with this, depending on the parents. I am not dependent on my mom, I've been fully independent for two years since graduating college. My mom is my best friend and I took her to an ASD and it really made her feel good to be involved and learn about the school beyond what I could tell her, and for her to see where I would be for the next 3 years.. My ASD even had one separate session just for parents/guests. That being said, if you do bring your parent, tell them not to ask questions. That could just get emabarasssing.

+1 I think it all depends on your relationship with your parents. If they treat you like an adult and you are very close, and you want them there, then why not? But if they treat you like a child and you don't want them there, now is a good time to put your foot down.

A parent of a gunner-type asked the opening question in our Q&A. Clearly the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:01 pm

I didn't see even one parent at Northwestern ASW. It's probably because the students are older, and very very few are straight from undergrad.

But to me that supports the maturity argument.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:08 pm

kumba84 wrote:I don't think I saw any parents at NYU's ASD, which kind of surprised me.

I saw several at the late March one -- in fact, I think one guy had both his mom and sister there. Overall it seemed to be mostly admits though.

redsox

Postby redsox » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:12 pm

shaville wrote:What is immature isn't bringing your parents- it's being embarrassed by having them there. I remember being embarrassed about having my parents around when I was in 7th grade- but who gives a shit about that now? If you want to bring your parents, for whatever reason, bring them and forget about what everyone else thinks. I mean, they are your family and now that you're an adult you shouldn't have to think about looking uncool or whatever.

Agreed.

violinst

Postby violinst » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:17 pm

lawschoolmike wrote:Seriously, this isn't freshmen year of undergad this is LAW SCHOOL. You don't need to bring mommy and daddy! You're a freaking adult :!: (assuming your 21+).....The only reasons you should bring mom and dad along :

1) You're a child
2) You can't make your own decisions
3) You can't speak for yourself
4) They are paying AND INSIST on coming (even in this situation your parents by NOW SHOULD be able to rely on your judgement, if not then refer to point 1)

Don't worry no one will peer-pressure you into smoking stuff you don't want to.

Also, it's embarrassing... nothing against moms and pops but bringing them along just gives an impression of immaturity. As others have said if they wanna come and just see the campus (some campuses are really beautiful), sure why not, maybe grab something to eat at a local restaurant later on... BTW YOU pay the bill.

Just my 2 cents.

Perhaps the most immature post. I strongly sense that you are insecure and prone to peer pressure.

My mother wanted to visit a few schools with me. So I paid for her trips and the whole experience was great. If you are the man, you take the people you care about to the schools they want to visit (whether one has the ability to pay for the trip is irrelevant). Otherwise, you are just a kid who is trying to act cool.
Last edited by violinst on Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

violinst

Postby violinst » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I didn't see even one parent at Northwestern ASW. It's probably because the students are older, and very very few are straight from undergrad.

But to me that supports the maturity argument.

I am older than the average 1L at NU and I had my mother with me on several visits to different schools. I paid for her trips (the advantage of being slightly more established than a typical 1L) and the experience was great. Bringing the people you care about to schools they want to visit is the mature and responsible decision to make.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:23 pm

FWIW I was less inclined to make conversation with people with their parents at ASD. I also assumed they were straight out of undergrad (not that there's anything wrong with that, ofc). Parents at the lunch tables did make conversation a little less lively.

JTX

Postby JTX » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:36 pm

x
Last edited by JTX on Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:36 pm

Would you bring your parents along to a job interview?

If the answer is yes then by all means bring your parents to an ASW.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:37 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:Are there people arguing different things here?

i think there is a difference in sharing with your parent(s) your life and needing them/ having them hover into ASD.

This is such a weird thread to me. Having my parents come with me to an orientation day never crossed my mind. Would you want them to come with you to a job interview or to your first big day at work?

But obviously, if your folks are in town, most people would show them around work or campus.

gtfo with this parents thing. if you come to my ASD with your parents, yes, i will be judging you. even if your mom is your bestie.

I somewhat understand if your parents wanna tour the school, the city, maybe go look for apartments. But I really wouldn't let mine spend air flight for that reason alone.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”