NYU ASW VS PENN ASW - one man's oppinion.

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
rockchalk86

Re: NYU ASW VS PENN ASW - one man's oppinion.

Postby rockchalk86 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:55 am

Illijah wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:I think for the business minded, Penn makes sense. If you take the Wharton classes, you are meeting and networking with future CEO's, Hedge Fund managers etc... When it comes to making a name in your firm, rounding up business is one of the most important things you can do. It's much easier when you were in a study group with CEO's and regularly got wasted with future business stars.

The caveat... you gotta know how to network and be willing to keep in touch.

networking? You would actually decide where you would earn your JD degree for the "opportunity to network" at another school....Makes sense on paper but i don't think that is a good idea.

I never said anything about choosing Penn solely on that... I just said it would make sense if you were someone who was sold on business law. Say you are deciding between peer schools. All else being equal, I would not think someone was crazy for choosing Penn for that reason.

garrett09

Postby garrett09 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:54 am

just some thoughts on the "plusses" on penn's side. a few things struck me as questionable... like maybe it was just the people you happened to talk to at the ASWs. And some things seem like law-school-talking-points that might not necessarily matter once you're there. just my take.

also, i went to the first nyu asw, but i don't remember anyone talking about the village or being too hip. mostly they all talked about their extra curriculars (like volunteering on the side), or about the internships/jobs they were applying for, or about what they had done the previous summer.

i like penn a lot, mostly because of the small community feel. but some of your takes on nyu just seemed... well, totally different than the experience i had there.

Veyron wrote:
Penn:
Rankings change, the Ivy League is forever.
Like Cornell? I'm unconvinced this matters that much.
It would be real cool for me (as a guy with some business background) to get to do a certificate at Wharton.
Totally agree
Penn Law really seems integrated with the rest of the university, when I was there I really got the feeling that students there are scholars who participate in studies across fields. Exciting feeling to study at one of the greatest universities in America where everyone you run into - from undergrads to doctorial candidates are fucking brilliant. I felt smarter for being there.
Really? I visited schools that tried to play this up, but everyone in law school I've talked to has same the same thing: law school students take law school classes and interact with law school students. The effect of the caliber of the rest of the school seems small. You've got a point with the Wharton thing, and I know Penn talks a lot about being interdisciplinary, but all students I've spoken with have said the vast majority of law school people don't get outside the law school.
Students geographically diverse – both in where they are from and where they want to work.
Are there stats on this? I'd be fairly shocked if Penn students were significantly more geographically diverse than NYU students, or vice versa. It's Philly and NYC... heavy Northeast, smattering of elsewhere. Could this just be based on the people you happened to talk to?
I liked the people.
People seem to love the law school and be very loyal to Penn and Penn students. You can tell there is a very close knit alumni and faculty network that even stretches as far as my hometown.
Best for a very specific type of law that I can also see myself doing.
Small and personal
All of this stuff sounds like really good reasons to choose Penn.
Lrap makes it easier to switch hit between firms and PI.
Slightly cheaper
Profs less well known but moar focused on teaching. Classes smaller.

anonmona

Postby anonmona » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:09 pm

Veyron wrote:
rv11 wrote:
Veyron wrote:So, I'm poasting on here to try to sort out what looks like it will be a very difficult decision. After visiting both ASW's I've made the following pro-con list. Keep in mind I am proly looking at $ at both schools but (slightly) moar at Penn. Also keep in mind that I know that I am a lucky bastard to have these opportunities. Before I started applying, I would have tortured baby kittens to have these options - ah the tyrany of choice.

Pro -->

NYU:
T-6 (and a rising star even within that august group)
In NYC (pro for location, for others this is the deciding factor, for me this is only a moderate boost, I want to work in a 2ndary market)
Don't know if I want to do firm or PI, NYU's LRAP dominates like a 400 pound chick in leather.
NYU students just seem more confident about their job prospects.
Faculty kicks ass.
Best for Criminal Law, Con Law (don’t tell me it doesn’t exist – I personally know people who do it – its just difficult to get into), general corporate lit (can see myself doing any of these)
The law school is beautiful.

Penn:
It would be real cool for me (as a guy with some business background) to get to do a certificate at Wharton.
Penn Law really seems integrated with the rest of the university, when I was there I really got the feeling that students there are scholars who participate in studies across fields. Exciting feeling to study at one of the greatest universities in America where everyone you run into - from undergrads to doctorial candidates are fucking brilliant. I felt smarter for being there.
Students geographically diverse – both in where they are from and where they want to work.
I liked the people.
People seem to love the law school and be very loyal to Penn and Penn students. You can tell there is a very close knit alumni and faculty network that even stretches as far as my hometown.
Small and personal
Slightly cheaper
Profs less well known but focused on teaching. Classes smaller.

Con:

NYU:

Was kind of bored by the people. Honestly, talk about something other than the Village. Its cool (kinda), but I don’t want most of my conversations as a law student to be about NYC.

Segregates itself from the university (perhaps because students at the Law School are of a wholly different type and caliber than other NYU students).

Slightly moar expensive than Penn overall

Student body not geographically diverse in where they are from (New York, New England, oh MY! A few kids from the South for good measure) and where they want to work (NYC, duh, do they even have like, laws west of the Mississippi [yes we do], hell do they even have laws in Jersey [no].

LRAP not very conducive for working for a firm and then doing PI. Not sure if I want to do this, but in my state going between the two (like from a firm to the DA’s office and back) is pretty common, especially in criminal law.

Large and impersonal.

Penn:

Students and career center not forthcoming about job prospects. This is a - no, this is THE big worry. NYU career center and students were much more forthcoming and detailed. Perhaps some of this can be chalked up to collegiality and not wanting to be competitive but you know, they guy with the 12 inch cock doesn’t mind if you see him naked in the locker-room.

Not going T-6 permanently shuts some doors (you know, in case I graduate top 1% and want to clerk for SCOTUS or something – hey! Let a pig have his fantasy)

Law school looks nice, but is kinda rundown, I hear this may be changing.

Housing is awful. Would have to spend just as much on decent housing close to the law school as I would on the NYU dorms.

Please feel free to add your comments to mine.

Moar? Three times? Really? How are you getting money at these schools?

Welcome to the net, we speak a different language here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_meme

Oh, also, I am getting $ from these schools because I'm smarter and moar accomplished than you (also better looking). XOXOHTH

Please go to Penn.

Love,
NYU 1L

ps -- law students don't sit around talking about NYC to each other all day. the most common questions admitted students ask us are about living in the village (honest!), so that's probably why you heard a lot about it.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:13 pm

anonmona wrote:
Veyron wrote:
rv11 wrote:
Veyron wrote:So, I'm poasting on here to try to sort out what looks like it will be a very difficult decision. After visiting both ASW's I've made the following pro-con list. Keep in mind I am proly looking at $ at both schools but (slightly) moar at Penn. Also keep in mind that I know that I am a lucky bastard to have these opportunities. Before I started applying, I would have tortured baby kittens to have these options - ah the tyrany of choice.

Pro -->

NYU:
T-6 (and a rising star even within that august group)
In NYC (pro for location, for others this is the deciding factor, for me this is only a moderate boost, I want to work in a 2ndary market)
Don't know if I want to do firm or PI, NYU's LRAP dominates like a 400 pound chick in leather.
NYU students just seem more confident about their job prospects.
Faculty kicks ass.
Best for Criminal Law, Con Law (don’t tell me it doesn’t exist – I personally know people who do it – its just difficult to get into), general corporate lit (can see myself doing any of these)
The law school is beautiful.

Penn:
I liked the people.
Small and personal
Slightly cheaper
Profs less well known but focused on teaching. Classes smaller.

Con:

NYU:

Was kind of bored by the people. Honestly, talk about something other than the Village. Its cool (kinda), but I don’t want most of my conversations as a law student to be about NYC.

Segregates itself from the university (perhaps because students at the Law School are of a wholly different type and caliber than other NYU students).

Slightly moar expensive than Penn overall

Student body not geographically diverse in where they are from (New York, New England, oh MY! A few kids from the South for good measure) and where they want to work (NYC, duh, do they even have like, laws west of the Mississippi [yes we do], hell do they even have laws in Jersey [no].

LRAP not very conducive for working for a firm and then doing PI. Not sure if I want to do this, but in my state going between the two (like from a firm to the DA’s office and back) is pretty common, especially in criminal law.

Large and impersonal.

Penn:

Students and career center not forthcoming about job prospects. This is a - no, this is THE big worry. NYU career center and students were much more forthcoming and detailed. Perhaps some of this can be chalked up to collegiality and not wanting to be competitive but you know, they guy with the 12 inch cock doesn’t mind if you see him naked in the locker-room.

Not going T-6 permanently shuts some doors (you know, in case I graduate top 1% and want to clerk for SCOTUS or something – hey! Let a pig have his fantasy)

Law school looks nice, but is kinda rundown, I hear this may be changing.

Housing is awful. Would have to spend just as much on decent housing close to the law school as I would on the NYU dorms.

Please feel free to add your comments to mine.

Moar? Three times? Really? How are you getting money at these schools?

Welcome to the net, we speak a different language here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_meme

Oh, also, I am getting $ from these schools because I'm smarter and moar accomplished than you (also better looking). XOXOHTH

Please go to Penn.

Love,
NYU 1L

ps -- law students don't sit around talking about NYC to each other all day. the most common questions admitted students ask us are about living in the village (honest!), so that's probably why you heard a lot about it.

No need to get touchy, every school has its pros and cons. I’m just trying to lay them out (as I perceive them) and take comments so that I can make a thoughtful decision and hopefully these other people do the same. No need to get touchy, every school has its pros and cons. I’m just trying to lay them out (as I perceive them) and take comments so that I can make a thoughtful decision. Sorry if that offends you.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:00 pm

Oh Penn con addition: No laptop policy common

Laphroaig10yr

Postby Laphroaig10yr » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:22 pm

re: the Penn "no laptop policy common" post: I am a Penn 1L and that is completely false.

Veyron

Re: NYU ASW VS PennState University ASW - one man's oppinion.

Postby Veyron » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:28 pm

^ So you get to use laptops in most classes?

And what the fuck happened to this thread. How the hell did someone get it all to read penn state?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:51 pm

Veyron wrote:^ So you get to use laptops in most classes?

And what the fuck happened to this thread. How the hell did someone get it all to read PennState University state?

It's April Fools. T.L.S. has a macro to change all instances of "P.enn" to "P.enn State" (among other things).

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:42 pm

Yah, took me a while to catch that.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”