how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
koco501
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:48 pm

how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

Postby koco501 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:46 pm

I am going to visit two schools which I have been waitlisted at. I tried to set up a meeting with anyone in admissions but the secretary said its not possible. How do people get past the secretaries? I have heard that you have to ask a question that they can't answer, has this or anything worked for anyone??? I am going in a few days so I need quick answers!

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

Postby booboo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:48 pm

Image

You have much to learn.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

Postby CG614 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:49 pm

Why do you want to meed with an adcom? That is ridiculous.

HBK
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

Postby HBK » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:52 pm

koco501 wrote:I am going to visit two schools which I have been waitlisted at. I tried to set up a meeting with anyone in admissions but the secretary said its not possible. How do people get past the secretaries? I have heard that you have to ask a question that they can't answer, has this or anything worked for anyone??? I am going in a few days so I need quick answers!


Ask her what the typical matriculation rate is for people from your undergrad. If she knows that, ask her what the matriculation rate is after you divide by zero.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

Postby quickquestionthanks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

An old sales trick is to get the direct number of someone else in the building, call them, and say you were trying to be transferred to Mr. X, then that person transfers you directly to Mr. X (as they are not a secretary, and it is not their profession to block calls). Just be prepared when the call goes through, as that person will be awfully surprised that you are calling.

erniesto
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

Postby erniesto » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:55 pm

CG614 wrote:Why do you want to meed with an adcom? That is ridiculous.


I meeded an adcom once. Auto-rejected.

avacado111
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

Postby avacado111 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:56 pm

ask something specific about your file that the secretary can't answer?

avacado111
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

Postby avacado111 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:56 pm

ask something specific about your file that the secretary can't answer?

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

Postby holydonkey » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:58 pm

sweep the leg

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

Postby CG614 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:02 pm

holydonkey wrote:sweep the leg

+1000

Genericswingman
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:05 pm

Re: how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

Postby Genericswingman » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:08 pm

CG614 wrote:Why do you want to meed with an adcom? That is ridiculous.


erniesto wrote:
CG614 wrote:Why do you want to meed with an adcom? That is ridiculous.


I meeded an adcom once. Auto-rejected.


Hilarious....so funny that I meeded to hold my breath to keep from laughing out loud

User avatar
Sangiovese
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

Postby Sangiovese » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:10 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:An old sales trick is to get the direct number of someone else in the building, call them, and say you were trying to be transferred to Mr. X, then that person transfers you directly to Mr. X (as they are not a secretary, and it is not their profession to block calls). Just be prepared when the call goes through, as that person will be awfully surprised that you are calling.


I fell for this once. Transferred a guy to a director that had been dodging him. Judging by the director's response... you had better have something REALLY compelling to say to them once you sneak past the perimeter guards :)

I learned my lesson though... although it only happened a couple more times in all the years I've been working, I transferred them to the secretary (if I knew who it was) or the main switchboard.

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:10 pm

i was hoping this was a peter north post

User avatar
jack duluoz
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:26 pm

Re: how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

Postby jack duluoz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm

you need to ask yourself, "what would ari gold do?"

User avatar
Captain Jack
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

Postby Captain Jack » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:13 pm

jack duluoz wrote:you need to ask yourself, "what would ari gold do?"


TITCR.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

Postby OGR3 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:35 pm

Stage a sit-in.

Refuse to leave until you have a full scholarship.

User avatar
fastforward
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Re: how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

Postby fastforward » Fri May 07, 2010 7:26 pm

I somehow doubt YLS is one of your WL schools. Can't say exactly why. But still.
http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... alker.aspx

User avatar
Duralex
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Re: how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

Postby Duralex » Thu May 13, 2010 10:04 pm

You should get yourself delivered to the dean of admissions in a box. The Fresh Prince got a record contract like that once.

User avatar
fragged
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

Postby fragged » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:47 am

Tell the receptionist you're a lawyer.

kmap
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 11:30 am

Re: how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

Postby kmap » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:18 am

Duralex wrote:You should get yourself delivered to the dean of admissions in a box. The Fresh Prince got a record contract like that once.


I laughed so hard I cried. Thanks for that.

User avatar
horriblegb
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: how to get past the receptionist to meed with adcom!!!!!!?

Postby horriblegb » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:20 pm

kmap wrote:
Duralex wrote:You should get yourself delivered to the dean of admissions in a box. The Fresh Prince got a record contract like that once.


I laughed so hard I cried. Thanks for that.


+1




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest