Cheapest way to Tallahassee Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
smartin

Bronze

Cheapest way to Tallahassee

Post by smartin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:42 pm

I want to Florida State sometime in the next few weeks, but flying from DC is expensive. The alternative is flying into Tamapa or Jax and renting a car for the ~3 hour drive, but since I won't be 25 until the end of April the fees add up to almost a $100 a day. Maybe if there was a bus from Tampa to Tally? I checked out Greyhound but the schedule is not conducive to a campus visit.

I have not been accepted yet at FSU but I really want to check it out. I have been accepted to Stetson but they cannot provide a travel stipend.

Suggestions?

CKuleba

New

Re: Cheapest way to Tallahassee

Post by CKuleba » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:44 pm

I'd fly to jacksonville and take a bus to Tallahassee. They have greyhounds traveling back and forth regularly. I think it'd be $50 round trip for the greyhound buses, about the equivalent to gas.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm

Jax may be cheapest. The actual closest physical airport of any decent size is in Valdosta, GA--about 90 minutes NNE. Not totally sure if Greyhound runs direct from there, but you should check it out in case.

EDIT: Get used to it being expensive to get in/out of Tally. The airport prices there are consistently ridiculous.

Bulls

New

Post by Bulls » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:51 pm

It might honestly be cheaper just to fly into TLH. Be sure to stay downtown so everything will be walkable. Be aware that our legislative session is during march and april so all hotels will be pretty packed and/or expensive

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Bulls wrote:It might honestly be cheaper just to fly into TLH. Be sure to stay downtown so everything will be walkable. Be aware that our legislative session is during march and april so all hotels will be pretty packed and/or expensive
Yeah, that is true...and not having a car on the visit is definitely going to restrict your ability to see the rest of Tallahassee (and get cheaper hotels further from the school/downtown). Public transport there is not priority #1. Not a huge problem if you plan on living close to school and looking at those apartments/houses, but if you are going to live further off-campus like I believe most of the law students do, you would probably need a car to get out and see the neighborhoods.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:15 pm

Go to Hertz's website and get the promotional code that waives the Under-25 fee. Used it last weekend to go to Michigan State.

ChaotiCait

Bronze

Post by ChaotiCait » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 pm

I'm actually in Tally now, and you can find some cheap flights. I got one to Chicago 300 round trip. You just need to use the travel websites, like kayak, and wait it out. My cheap flight was with Delta. And then a taxi to campus from the airport is less than 20$ I think. Also if you need a cheap place to stay you could probably couchsurf for free. BTW, the one time I took greyhound from Jax to Tally it was scary, people comparing their bail :?

lostjake

Bronze

Post by lostjake » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:28 pm

Get on a bus, get a hotel room over night, get on bus back

or hitch hike. Then you could send in a PS that would get you into FS no problem.

smartin

Bronze

Post by smartin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:17 pm

Thanks for your advice guys. I've decided just to wait until I'm taken off hold. It would really be a shame if I bought a $350 non-refundable, round trip ticket, just to be rejected before I could visit.

toolfan

Bronze

Post by toolfan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:43 pm

Jax is only 2 hrs away from Tally, whereas Tampa is nearly 5 hrs. You should also check out the airport in Valdosta, GA. It is relatively close to Tally.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Visits”