(Where, When and What Did You Think)

Postby Padimud » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:59 pm

I must say that after leaning elsewhere, and almost having committed to another school I was blown away with W & M. So significantly so that now I am leaning the opposite direction. It is interesting how these things play out the way they do.

Postby Displeased » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:09 pm

As a 1L at W&M who lives in the gradplex, I want to clarify a few things.

One of the other posters mentioned that you had a "roommate" and that it was like a typical college dorm, which is kind of misleading. You don't share a bedroom with anyone, but you do share a common area, kitchen, and bathroom. The gradplex is more like a typical apartment than a typical dorm, in my opinion. Also, unlike a dorm, there are no RAs and no restrictions on what you can or can't do. Somebody mentioned a possible curfew, which made me laugh. There are no curfews, no alcohol restrictions, nothing like that (do they even have curfews for undergraduates at most colleges?). Basically, its exactly like a cheap apartment, except your landlord is the school.

By far the biggest advantage of the gradplex is the proximity to the school. Its almost impossible to convey how nice it is to live three minutes from the school. So convenient, so much time saved, etc. I also enjoy not having to worry about utility bills.

Of course, the gradplex has some big flaws. For one, its a little more expensive than it should be. Sharing a bathroom absolutely sucks. Some of the rooms haven't been renovated and the furniture and appliances are showing their age. If you live in a quad, the refrigerators are too tiny for 4 people to share. The wireless can occasionally be spotty.

Basically, the gradplex is a serviceable apartment complex that happens to be right next to the school. I can understand how it can turn some people off, but I didn't want people to get bad information. If you are going to hate the gradplex, hate it for the right reasons.

Postby JohnHawkins » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:58 pm

I'm interested in the gradplex but I didn't get a chance to visit it at the ASW. To those of you who did, about how big are the bedrooms? I can't find the dimensions anywhere online. Thanks!

Postby dark » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:44 pm

You can see floor plans and dimensions for the apartments by clicking on the links marked "double" or "quad" etc on this page.
http://www.wm.edu/offices/residencelife ... x.php#600s

As an incoming 1L you will be assigned a room based on what is available. I remember I put my preferences for a double with a law student, and wound up in a quad with 1 law student and 2 foreign students in a graduate mathematics program.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”