Tulane ASW 2010!!!

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
viro8

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby viro8 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:27 pm

Would anyone who attended this past weekend care to share their thoughts? Thanks!

viro8

Postby viro8 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:18 pm

bump

Duragon

Postby Duragon » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:01 am

I'm also interested in accounts from those who have already attended a Tulane ASW. In particular, how would you describe the attire? I'm a guy. Can I get by with slack and a button down?

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:07 am

The lack of responses makes me think that some cool shit went down and everyone's vowed never to speak of it.

jstn1104

Postby jstn1104 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:53 pm

Duragon wrote:I'm also interested in accounts from those who have already attended a Tulane ASW. In particular, how would you describe the attire? I'm a guy. Can I get by with slack and a button down?

Yes. I wore a suit and I was way overdressed.

MSUPHL

Postby MSUPHL » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:33 pm

i was at the last ASW. It was alright. I met some good people. however, I think, at least compared to the OSU ASW I attended, Tulane did not offer enough social opportunities to interact with other potential students. We basically had to meet people on our own and do our own thing without any options/help from the Univ. I still had a good time, but only met maybe 5 people as opposed to OSU where I met a good dozen. New Orleans is awesome. i mean the culture, food, bars, architecture and pure beauty of the campus and surrounding area, as well as the law facilities, are probably unprecedented (with exception of Boulder) to comparably ranked schools. However, i have concerns about job prospects afterwards. They claim to compete in various markets, but I am not sure how competitive they are. I would prefer to work in Dallas if I attend Tulane, and it seemed feasible but definitely not definite. Also, to keep a scholly u need to maintain 3.0 or you lose half. And, 50% of the each class finishes below 3.0, so thats something to consider. I am visiting ASU next week, and if I like it there, I will probably attend. However, Tulane is definitely not ruled out. It is hard to pass up 3 yrs in New Orleans...

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Just posted a recap of my visit in the Tulane 2010 thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=97760&start=625

MSUPHL wrote:i was at the last ASW. It was alright. I met some good people. however, I think, at least compared to the OSU ASW I attended, Tulane did not offer enough social opportunities to interact with other potential students. We basically had to meet people on our own and do our own thing without any options/help from the Univ. I still had a good time, but only met maybe 5 people as opposed to OSU where I met a good dozen. New Orleans is awesome. i mean the culture, food, bars, architecture and pure beauty of the campus and surrounding area, as well as the law facilities, are probably unprecedented (with exception of Boulder) to comparably ranked schools. However, i have concerns about job prospects afterwards. They claim to compete in various markets, but I am not sure how competitive they are. I would prefer to work in Dallas if I attend Tulane, and it seemed feasible but definitely not definite. Also, to keep a scholly u need to maintain 3.0 or you lose half. And, 50% of the each class finishes below 3.0, so thats something to consider. I am visiting ASU next week, and if I like it there, I will probably attend. However, Tulane is definitely not ruled out. It is hard to pass up 3 yrs in New Orleans...

Wait - if you don't get a 3.0 you can still keep half the scholarship? I didn't get that impression. I need to re-read my letter.

I completely agree with the environment being unique. It's absolutely beautiful. The palm-tree factor is in full effect, but there's also this European flair to the place that is just so much fun.

MSUPHL

Postby MSUPHL » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:06 am

pearl_earrings wrote:Just posted a recap of my visit in the Tulane 2010 thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=97760&start=625

MSUPHL wrote:i was at the last ASW. It was alright. I met some good people. however, I think, at least compared to the OSU ASW I attended, Tulane did not offer enough social opportunities to interact with other potential students. We basically had to meet people on our own and do our own thing without any options/help from the Univ. I still had a good time, but only met maybe 5 people as opposed to OSU where I met a good dozen. New Orleans is awesome. i mean the culture, food, bars, architecture and pure beauty of the campus and surrounding area, as well as the law facilities, are probably unprecedented (with exception of Boulder) to comparably ranked schools. However, i have concerns about job prospects afterwards. They claim to compete in various markets, but I am not sure how competitive they are. I would prefer to work in Dallas if I attend Tulane, and it seemed feasible but definitely not definite. Also, to keep a scholly u need to maintain 3.0 or you lose half. And, 50% of the each class finishes below 3.0, so thats something to consider. I am visiting ASU next week, and if I like it there, I will probably attend. However, Tulane is definitely not ruled out. It is hard to pass up 3 yrs in New Orleans...

Wait - if you don't get a 3.0 you can still keep half the scholarship? I didn't get that impression. I need to re-read my letter.

I completely agree with the environment being unique. It's absolutely beautiful. The palm-tree factor is in full effect, but there's also this European flair to the place that is just so much fun.

they said that if you do get below a 3. you keep half your scholly. And if you get 3. the next sem, you get it back

totebags

Postby totebags » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:26 pm

April 9-10 ASWers:

Let's grab a drink next weekend. Where is everybody staying? I'm staying with my friend in the Irish Channel, but I can get around to anywhere.
Last edited by totebags on Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waverider

Postby waverider » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:24 pm

totebags wrote:April 9-10 ASWers:

Let's grab a drink next weekend. Where is everybody staying? I'm staying with my friend in the Irish Channel, but I get around to anywhere.

Count me in

I'm staying in Metairie. I found a hotel much cheaper there. I'm driving up so I'll have my car.

totebags

Postby totebags » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:45 pm

waverider wrote:

Let's grab a drink next weekend. Where is everybody staying? I'm staying with my friend in the Irish Channel, but I get around to anywhere.

Count me in

I'm staying in Metairie. I found a hotel much cheaper there. I'm driving up so I'll have my car.

I've never been to NOLA so I don't have any recommendations, but my friend has told me about the Bulldog.

http://bulldog.draftfreak.com/

3236 Magazine Street

Tons of beer on tap. Nice patio. Good location.

anniesaysrelax

Postby anniesaysrelax » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:56 pm

totebags wrote:
waverider wrote:

Count me in

I've never been to NOLA so I don't have any recommendations, but my friend has told me about the Bulldog.

3236 Magazine Street

Bulldog is great, but Wednesday is really the night to be there. Try St. Joe's or Monkey Hill. Both are on Magazine St and are more upscale than a traditional college bar. St. Joe's has a banging blueberry mojito. If you want cheaper drinks go to the Boot for happy hour on Friday. Super fun in the spring and 3 for 1 specials. $4 for triple shot wells, $6.50 for triple shot premium liquor, 4pm-9pm. Get there early for a table outside, sip your drink and enjoy the beautiful spring weather. Don't go to the Boot after that though, unless you want to grind with freshmen. Maple Street also has a bunch of bars, Bruno's Tavern and Phillip's are two of the better ones in that area.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:02 pm

totebags wrote:
waverider wrote:

Count me in

3236 Magazine Street

The Bulldog's quality. Magazine's a great place for food and drinks.

totebags

Postby totebags » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:21 pm

Just put something up on the Tulane Class of 2013 Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 019&ref=ts

totebags

Postby totebags » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:19 am

OK.

The Bulldog at 8 pm on Friday.

I'll bring a Tulane totebag to stand out.

It might not be the best bar, per se, but its patio and extensive beer selection is perfectly suitable for a group of soused 0Ls.

waverider

Postby waverider » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:43 pm

Here are my thoughts after visiting the school.

Current students- from talking to students it seemed like most really liked the school and were happy with there decision.

5/5

Faculty- The faculty seemed to be good (except for the excessive word whiskers by almost every dean, professor, or counselor... ummmmm that could ummmm get annoying :? ).

2.5/5
Campus- The building seemed incredibly nice. The parking situation is less than ideal. On campus parking is available (not very close to law school) for a hefty price. Hunting for street parking and then making sure its in the right zone would get very annoying. The campus had a nice feel to it though. It seemed like the perfect size.
4.5/5
Academics- Nothing but great things to say about the academics at tulane. The Career development office seemed to be great. I really feel that I learned a lot from what they said.
5/5
New Orleans- I doubt I really got a good feel for the city in the 3 days I was there but it was a great place to visit. Tulane seems to have great places to eat/drink all arround. It was nice to see a great sense of pride in the city. It seemed like everyone there thought it was the greatest place in the world. Who knows maybe if I spent another week there I would agree, but instead I think that New Orleans is a great place to visit but not a place I would like to live. The area right arround Tulane is somewhat nice. I may get some flack for saying this but in general though, I thought it was an ugly city. I explored Metarie and Slidell and both seemed just as bad or worse. The roads were the worst I've ever seen. If I lived in New Orleans I'd feel as though I were living in Construction. Again though I enjoyed my time in New Orleans and it is not my intention to cut down the city.
2/5
Overall- I feel fortunate to be given the opportunity to attend tulane. If the high cost of tuition were not a factor I'm sure I'd be going there. I can't justify choosing Tulane over a relatively similarly ranked school that will be over $25,000 cheaper each year.
3.5/5
Disclaimer- I think I may have been looking at things critically to justify choosing the cheaper option. In the end thats huge.

Good luck everyone.

viro8

Postby viro8 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:10 pm

Also visited this weekend. Would like to comment a little bit on your thoughts. I know what you mean about the faculty and the "umms" but I think it is premature to give them a 2.5, especially considering we saw just a handful of them.

The campus was extremely beautiful and the law school building seemed real nice too.

My biggest disagreement with you is about New Orleans. I was absolutely charmed by this place. The culture down there is just something else. The people are so proud about their city - so unapologetic about it (in a good way), so relaxed, so friendly, so funny and so full of life that I was completely taken in by it. I was constantly awed by the beauty of the place and the unique feeling of it all. Sure there were some not so great parts - but what city doesn't have that?

Perhaps you were just trying to be a bit too skeptical, and maybe I was just trying to be too enchanted with it. I think it would be a great place to spend 3 years.

waverider

Postby waverider » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:12 pm

Yeah I got the same feel that people certainly took pride in their city in a good way.

There were some nice places, but I think the city has a polarizing effect. Either you really like it or you realize that the city is def not for you. I just feel that its not for me.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”