Tulane ASW 2010!!!

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
rmartin7686
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:29 pm

Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby rmartin7686 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:03 pm

Hey,
I'm heading to admitted students weekend on March 12th and am really excited!!! I was wondering who else was going and also wanted to open a forum for discussing thoughts on Tulane as well as what people will be doing for fun while in NOLA for ASW.

User avatar
Charles Barkley
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 9:56 pm

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby Charles Barkley » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:07 pm

I will be going.

rmartin7686
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:29 pm

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby rmartin7686 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:16 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:I will be going.

Cool Charles. Maybe we can go gambling on a riverboat to increase our debt, play some golf, and finish the day off with an awesome 5 dollar taco bell box.

MSUPHL
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:07 am

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby MSUPHL » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:38 pm

ugh im trying to go down for the march 26th one. Coming from Detroit my flight is going to cost 500-600$ and the hotel for 2-3 nights @ ~$130/night is not appealing. After going to the OSU visitation day, I am quite disappointed that they do not put us up in a hotel room. I tried calling the hotel they suggested, and they are booked. Is it really worth 1k to go down there? Their $300 reimbursement barely makes a dent the expenses especially after i consider eating and transportation while in NO in addition to the travel expenses. Tulane is my top choice along with OSU, telling my parents that there is about a 40% chance of me attending Tulane. This has been putting me off.

When you go, please let me know if you think attendance is worth the price of admission.

Thanks

User avatar
pearl_earrings
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby pearl_earrings » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:34 am

.
Last edited by pearl_earrings on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Headybrah
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby Headybrah » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:31 am

hotels seemed to be booked up for the 26th... found a B&B about 1.5 miles away for 109 a night...

was cheap getting their but return flight was expensive...

still the $300 is really helping out

Id say visiting is worth it New Orleans, like the above poster said, is so unique

waverider
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:55 pm

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby waverider » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:32 pm

For those going to the 26th/27th

When are you getting there?

Thursday?

How long are you planning on staying

Sunday?

MSUPHL
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:07 am

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby MSUPHL » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:52 pm

yup

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby shock259 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:24 pm

I think I'm going April 9-10th. The last one. What has the program been like? Is it really structured/rigid? When does it begin in the morning?

jstn1104
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby jstn1104 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:53 pm

I thought it was really well done. It starts at ~9:15 with a message from the Dean, then the admitted students sit in on a class (Constitutional Law I). At 11 you can choose between a session on Financial Aid, Clinical Programs, and Student Organizations. Then there's a lunch (food was great) where you can sit with various professors and current students. At 1pm you have the same 3 options as the 11am sessions, then a session with the heads of Career Development. Last there's a Current Student Panel (no faculty in the room, so it was very laid-back, informal/honest) and a student mixer (which was sort of lame, I was expecting beer!). I didn't go on Saturday, but they had tours of campus, a bus tour of New Orleans neighborhoods, and a session on Academic Programs.

It was definitely worth the visit.

MSUPHL
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:07 am

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby MSUPHL » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:50 am

jstn1104 wrote:I thought it was really well done. It starts at ~9:15 with a message from the Dean, then the admitted students sit in on a class (Constitutional Law I). At 11 you can choose between a session on Financial Aid, Clinical Programs, and Student Organizations. Then there's a lunch (food was great) where you can sit with various professors and current students. At 1pm you have the same 3 options as the 11am sessions, then a session with the heads of Career Development. Last there's a Current Student Panel (no faculty in the room, so it was very laid-back, informal/honest) and a student mixer (which was sort of lame, I was expecting beer!). I didn't go on Saturday, but they had tours of campus, a bus tour of New Orleans neighborhoods, and a session on Academic Programs.

It was definitely worth the visit.


thanks for this. I am glad I am heading down there next week.

jstn1104
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby jstn1104 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:57 am

MSUPHL wrote:
jstn1104 wrote:I thought it was really well done. It starts at ~9:15 with a message from the Dean, then the admitted students sit in on a class (Constitutional Law I). At 11 you can choose between a session on Financial Aid, Clinical Programs, and Student Organizations. Then there's a lunch (food was great) where you can sit with various professors and current students. At 1pm you have the same 3 options as the 11am sessions, then a session with the heads of Career Development. Last there's a Current Student Panel (no faculty in the room, so it was very laid-back, informal/honest) and a student mixer (which was sort of lame, I was expecting beer!). I didn't go on Saturday, but they had tours of campus, a bus tour of New Orleans neighborhoods, and a session on Academic Programs.

It was definitely worth the visit.


thanks for this. I am glad I am heading down there next week.


Also, if you show up early they were giving out vouchers to get free stuff from a breakfast cart (coffee, juice, muffins, etc).

waverider
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:55 pm

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby waverider » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:22 pm

I'm planning on going to the April ASW.

I think I'm going to drive there from florida instead of fly. I would like to have the freedom to drive arround the city to get a feel for it.

If anyone from florida is interested in taking a road trip for the ASW let me know.

User avatar
pearl_earrings
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby pearl_earrings » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:06 pm

.
Last edited by pearl_earrings on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

viro8
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:05 pm

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby viro8 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:38 pm

Hey all, I am planning on attending the April ASW. Does anybody have any hotel recommendations? There seems to be a lot booked up already - I know it's late but I just got admitted a couple days ago! Also, is it smart to rent a car or just cab it from the airport and then use public transit? Also, favorite cheapo airfare sites? Thanks!

jstn1104
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby jstn1104 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:52 pm

viro8 wrote:Hey all, I am planning on attending the April ASW. Does anybody have any hotel recommendations? There seems to be a lot booked up already - I know it's late but I just got admitted a couple days ago! Also, is it smart to rent a car or just cab it from the airport and then use public transit? Also, favorite cheapo airfare sites? Thanks!


I stayed at the Saint Peter Guesthouse in the French Quarter....I wouldn't specifically recommend it. It kind of felt like a brothel, and I did not get a good night sleep before visiting the school. I've heard good things about the Royal Street Inn for a cheapish/nontraditional option, though it's not specifically convenient to Tulane and books up fast. They have a pretty great bar attached to the hotel which I visited last week and got some delicious Jambalaya they were cooking outside the bar and giving out to customers.

Depending on where you're staying and what else you'll be doing while you're in New Orleans, it's pretty easy to take the Saint Charles streetcar directly to Tulane. Also I recommend the airport shuttle over a taxi.

As for airlines, Southwest and AirTran are the cheaper options, depending on where you're coming from.

User avatar
MarkRenton
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby MarkRenton » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:44 pm

I think I might go to one of the next two. Maybe next week's

Headybrah
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby Headybrah » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:04 pm


rmartin7686
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:29 pm

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby rmartin7686 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:10 pm

Headybrah wrote:http://www.yelp.com/biz/jacques-imos-cafe-new-orleans

Ive been told to go here...


I went to Jacques-imos (off of oak street in Carrollton) when visiting and it was some of the best food I have ever had!!!! Really traditional and laid back atomosphere. It is super expensive, but if you are going to splurge and have a really traditional cajun meal, definitely go here. Also, Camelia's off of S. Carrollton st. is the best breakfast joint and has amazing omelettes and southern hospitality. Just me two cents...New Orleans and Tulane are amazing.

User avatar
MarkRenton
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby MarkRenton » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:57 pm

Headybrah wrote:http://www.yelp.com/biz/jacques-imos-cafe-new-orleans

Ive been told to go here...


I've been there a few times and the food is great. But go hungry. The entrees are big and they all come with two sides and a salad. If you get an appetizer as well, that's a ton of food. It's all amazing though. They don't have reservations, but you can drink at the Maple Leaf next door and they'll fetch ya there when your table's ready.

Headybrah
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby Headybrah » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:07 pm

anyone interested in watching some basketball Thurs or Friday night?

MSUPHL
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:07 am

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby MSUPHL » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:43 pm

heady!!! Most definitely. I will PM you my phone number so we can meet up. i get in thurs afternoon, was going to check in then head somewhere for dinner/drinks/march madness.

User avatar
Charles Barkley
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 9:56 pm

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby Charles Barkley » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:21 am

I live in Baton Rouge, but I will be visiting the school this weekend as well.

MSUPHL
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:07 am

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby MSUPHL » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:37 am

down to catch some college hoops thurs/fri night barkley?

User avatar
smartblonde87
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Tulane ASW 2010!!!

Postby smartblonde87 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:23 am

tag
Last edited by smartblonde87 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest