Meeting w/ AdCom Member? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Cognoscenti

New

Meeting w/ AdCom Member?

Post by Cognoscenti » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:37 pm

I recently booked my flights to check out a few New York schools and arranged for tours and class visits. However, when I asked to set up some time with an admissions officer (or anyone in the admissions office), I was told that they do not offer such meetings at this point in the cycle. I'm visiting schools at which I was waitlisted or deferred so I feel it is important that I talk to someone in addition to the tours/class visits.

How do I get them to meet with me? It seems like a lot of TLSers have met with AdCom members - how did you do it?

I'm flying in from LA and taking time off from work, so I'd like to make my visits as fruitful as possible.

Thank you!

starsong

Bronze

Re: Meeting w/ AdCom Member?

Post by starsong » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:53 am

You rarely, if ever, meet the actual adcom members. You can sometimes meet with admissions counselors, but that's unlikely at this point in the cycle. What question could they answer? You've already applied...

Essentially, you're trying to get a leg up on other waitlisted/deferred applicants by trying to meet face-to-face with someone. Just think what would happen if that was possible: everyone would do it, and admissions offices would be swamped with applicants at the busiest point of the year.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:32 am

starsong wrote:You rarely, if ever, meet the actual adcom members. You can sometimes meet with admissions counselors, but that's unlikely at this point in the cycle. What question could they answer? You've already applied...

Essentially, you're trying to get a leg up on other waitlisted/deferred applicants by trying to meet face-to-face with someone. Just think what would happen if that was possible: everyone would do it, and admissions offices would be swamped with applicants at the busiest point of the year.
Right, they might entertain such meetings early in the cycle when things are slower, and they're trying to sell you on the school. But now that you've applied and gotten waitlisted, there's no reason for them to waste their time seeing you, especially when they're still working on admit days and deposit deadlines and stuff for those who were accepted.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:41 am

Cognoscenti wrote:I recently booked my flights to check out a few New York schools and arranged for tours and class visits. However, when I asked to set up some time with an admissions officer (or anyone in the admissions office), I was told that they do not offer such meetings at this point in the cycle. I'm visiting schools at which I was waitlisted or deferred so I feel it is important that I talk to someone in addition to the tours/class visits.

How do I get them to meet with me? It seems like a lot of TLSers have met with AdCom members - how did you do it?

I'm flying in from LA and taking time off from work, so I'd like to make my visits as fruitful as possible.

Thank you!
Tell the receptionist that you are an admitted student. When you meet with the person you want to see, clear up the "miscommunication" and tell him/her you're actually wait listed. 8) You'll be there already, so talk it up!

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:48 am

Mattalones wrote:
Cognoscenti wrote:I recently booked my flights to check out a few New York schools and arranged for tours and class visits. However, when I asked to set up some time with an admissions officer (or anyone in the admissions office), I was told that they do not offer such meetings at this point in the cycle. I'm visiting schools at which I was waitlisted or deferred so I feel it is important that I talk to someone in addition to the tours/class visits.

Thank you!
Tell the receptionist that you are an admitted student. When you meet with the person you want to see, clear up the "miscommunication" and tell him/her you're actually wait listed. 8) You'll be there already, so talk it up!
hahaha sneaky...of course, with this plan, you run the risk of being identified as a troublemaker!!
Even early in the cycle, it can be extremely difficult to get past the administrative assistant shield.
I work at an admissions office at a law school (not for JDs!) and my boss and I are tasked to handle all applicants' questions and be the channel through which applicants communicate with the adcomm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:04 am

Meh,

This varies from school to school. At one school I scheduled a tour and afterwards was asked if I wanted to speak to someone in "admissions". Turns out this person was the assistant dean of admissions :shock: and we yucked it up for 40 minutes or so. She even told me to mention our meeting somewhere in my application. I have yet to hear back from them but I can't imagine this hurt me in anyway. On the other hand, when I visited Texas I was flat our told I could not meet with anyone in admissions (i.e. someone who reads my app) and I guess all questions would have to be answered by the nice old lady at the reception desk.

Of course, OP must keep in mind that if you rub the adcom off in the wrong way, this could be disastrous for your shot at admissions so tread carefully.

xokel87

Bronze

Post by xokel87 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:06 am

Last edited by xokel87 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:30 am

Mattalones wrote:

Thank you!
I seriously wouldn't. Lying to people in your future school's admissions office?

Say you are a prospective student. I did it twice during my own cycle, and was able to have a few questions answered. I never got to talk to the dean until after my admission, however. It requires a bit of delicacy, but it can be done. The important thing is to respect the receptionist; you would not believe how badly people guarding the front desk get treated.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:30 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
Mattalones wrote:

Thank you!
I seriously wouldn't. Lying to people in your future school's admissions office?

Say you are a prospective student. I did it twice during my own cycle, and was able to have a few questions answered. I never got to talk to the dean until after my admission, however. It requires a bit of delicacy, but it can be done. The important thing is to respect the receptionist; you would not believe how badly people guarding the front desk get treated.
It was obviously a joke ... Perhaps not obvious enough, though. Just to be clear: Don't actually go around lying to people, especially if they are administrators at a law school you are interested in. However, joke about it all you want :lol:

Cognoscenti

New

Post by Cognoscenti » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:40 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
Mattalones wrote:

Thank you!

OS, who did you speak with when you did this during your cycle? Was it an administrative assistant-type person or someone on the AdCom?

Thank you (everyone) for all the help!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Visits”