Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
User avatar
deevilsih
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:26 am

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby deevilsih » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:29 pm

In at Iowa and will be attending the ASD this week.

I'd be up for a Thursday night get together. Reception is only until 7:30, so we could meet for drinks at one of the bars downtown near the hotel (the Airliner used to be chill when I lived in Iowa City ten years ago) or head to the Vine (legendary wings) or the Wig and Pen (awesome pizza) on the Coralville strip directly afterward.

As for apartment hunting, I've been to Iowa City twice in the last two weeks looking at places. Unfortunately, it looks like the Iowa City rental market is very early (as in many places are taken for the following August by January/February). Most places I looked at near the law school were either very small, way overpriced, or both. Overall, they were pretty disappointing trips, but I did find a decent one bedroom for $620 a month with heat and water included at a big complex called the Seville run by Barker Apartments. They have a model apartment for show, so if you wanted to just stop by and see the place, you don't need advance warning. The address is 900 West Benton Street and the website is http://www.barkerapartments.com/seville. Just a pointer if anyone does decide to live at the Seville, the woman who runs the office said to request buildings C or D because they have concrete construction and thus less noise.

User avatar
deevilsih
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:26 am

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby deevilsih » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:44 pm

Oh, and to share in the 'what to wear to the reception!' discussion, I'll be in trouser jeans and a fancy top Thursday. Even just the word "slacks" bugs me. Perhaps I'm going into the wrong profession.

User avatar
Jerome
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby Jerome » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:04 pm

I will most certainly be down to get drinks after either (both?) events.

User avatar
jaskat
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby jaskat » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:19 pm

Meeting place: The Main entrance of hotel that Thursday's event will take place in sound good to everyone?

User avatar
tate033
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:40 pm

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby tate033 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:10 pm

sounds good to me. just got a call for a ticket to President Obama's talk and my previous commitments went out the window. headed down a day early and I'll make it to the reception now! must pack...

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby webbylu87 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:15 pm

tate033 wrote:sounds good to me. just got a call for a ticket to President Obama's talk and my previous commitments went out the window. headed down a day early and I'll make it to the reception now! must pack...


guess that means i didn't get the ones i asked for...

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby robin600 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:52 pm

PUMPED!!!!!!!!!! sent in my deposit today! and I bought an Iowa shirt!

User avatar
thepcv
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby thepcv » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 am

To those going to the ASW and planning on checking out apts.

Where are you primarily looking? Anyone considering the graduate/professional apartments (they're a little far from the school and downtown, but the price seems quite reasonable and they're on the free bus line)? Or are you going to try to stay closer to the school and/or downtown?

User avatar
tate033
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:40 pm

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby tate033 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:05 am

I'd ideally like to be within walking distance of the law school, so I'm checking out apartments on the west side. Not to mention it's a little further from downtown and the impression I get is that grad students tend to stay on the west side because it's quieter. I wouldn't be completely opposed to something in Coralville if I found a nice place that was affordable. I guess if I find a roommate my plans could change too.

User avatar
ILoveClowns8
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:04 pm

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby ILoveClowns8 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:07 pm

tate033 wrote:I'd ideally like to be within walking distance of the law school, so I'm checking out apartments on the west side. Not to mention it's a little further from downtown and the impression I get is that grad students tend to stay on the west side because it's quieter. I wouldn't be completely opposed to something in Coralville if I found a nice place that was affordable. I guess if I find a roommate my plans could change too.

I've heard the same thing about west vs. east Iowa City. Just spoke with a friend who grew up there, he said that you'll want to stick to the west side of the river, the apartments tend to be nicer and the atmosphere is more graduate student friendly.

User avatar
Jerome
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby Jerome » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:04 pm

jaskat wrote:Meeting place: The Main entrance of hotel that Thursday's event will take place in sound good to everyone?

See you guys there.

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby webbylu87 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:12 pm

Jerome wrote:
jaskat wrote:Meeting place: The Main entrance of hotel that Thursday's event will take place in sound good to everyone?

See you guys there.


I'll be there!

User avatar
jaskat
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby jaskat » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:02 pm

P.S. For anyone flying into Cedar Rapids Airport I'd suggest making a reservation for the airport shuttle to take you wherever it is you're staying. So far, it's the cheapest service at $35 per person.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby robin600 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:07 pm

super pumped to meet everyone! yay! :P

ylee0331
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby ylee0331 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:43 pm

so when and where are we meeting tomorrow?
so pumped!

User avatar
deevilsih
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:26 am

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby deevilsih » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:24 am

Main entrance of hotelVetro right after the reception (7:30), right?

User avatar
jaskat
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby jaskat » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:54 am

deevilsih wrote:Main entrance of hotelVetro right after the reception (7:30), right?

^ this

User avatar
dt22
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:25 pm

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby dt22 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:07 am

boo on switching to thursday - i wont be there; i suppose i understand the need, though.
if anyone gets together after the events on fri, let me know

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby webbylu87 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:06 am

dt22 wrote:boo on switching to thursday - i wont be there; i suppose i understand the need, though.
if anyone gets together after the events on fri, let me know


it was my impression we'll get together on friday night as well. at least i'm game for it if anyone else is!

User avatar
Jerome
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby Jerome » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:28 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
dt22 wrote:boo on switching to thursday - i wont be there; i suppose i understand the need, though.
if anyone gets together after the events on fri, let me know


it was my impression we'll get together on friday night as well. at least i'm game for it if anyone else is!

Count me in.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby traehekat » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:51 pm

Jerome wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:
dt22 wrote:boo on switching to thursday - i wont be there; i suppose i understand the need, though.
if anyone gets together after the events on fri, let me know


it was my impression we'll get together on friday night as well. at least i'm game for it if anyone else is!

Count me in.


I would be up for something on Friday as well, but I am going to be heading back that same night so it would have to be an afternoon beer/lunch or an early dinner.

ylee0331
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby ylee0331 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:59 pm

7:30 At the hotel vetro sounds good!
see you guys, then!

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby JOThompson » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:36 pm

I'll be in the Vetro lobby at 7:30 also. I probably can't make it to the Friday night meetup though.

Edit: Borrowing the internet at the nearby Sheraton and I hear a couple people talking about the law school school reception, sweet.

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby Slimpee » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:50 pm

I'll be leaving soon and getting to Iowa City around midnight. I'll be there tomorrow...tall, slender, dark hair. Say hi!

JOThompson
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 am

Re: Iowa, March 25-28 ASW

Postby JOThompson » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:42 pm

There wasn't another soul in the lobby at 730. TLS meetup canceled or rescheduled for later tonight? Edit: I obviously shouldve been outside, oops.
Last edited by JOThompson on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest