Professors call out visiting students in classes??

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
charlesjd

Professors call out visiting students in classes??

Postby charlesjd » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:46 pm

I heard from this from a friend of mine who is a 1L. I am curious... incite?

burtonrideclub

Re: Professors call out visiting students in classes??

Postby burtonrideclub » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:48 pm

Happened to me at Emory, was all in good fun.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:48 pm

Like a cold call? Never would a prof seriously do that.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:48 pm

It's a rite of passage. Before each class, the prof asks if there are any visiting students. It's too naive to think you can sit in on a class without doing the reading. They'll be nice and just ask you like the facts of the case rather than the legal theories.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:51 pm

In one of my classes last year, a visiting girl that was waitlisted, not even admitted, raised her and contributed to the conversation. 10,000,000 gunner points.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:52 pm

gladiator wrote:In one of my classes last year, a visiting girl that was waitlisted, not even admitted, raised her and contributed to the conversation. 10,000,000 gunner points.

ahhahahahahahaha

Renaixença

Postby Renaixença » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:55 pm

Happened to a friend of mine. The professor asked him the facts of Lawrence v. Texas. The poor bloke's blood rushed to his face and he panicked, though he managed to get some words out. He threw in a couple of "uhs" amid a few "Texas" and a "sodomy" here and there. It was a bit embarrassing, but everyone else in the room got a kick out of it and the professor gave him a pat on the back at the end of class.

spintk

Postby spintk » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:33 pm

If I was a visiting student I would own it. "Sorry, prof. Didn't read. What page are we on again?"

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:41 pm

or say: "sorry what class is this?"

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:41 pm

I was disappointed I didn't get called on when I was in a class. I was actually following along quite well.

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:07 pm

I visited my GF at her LS and went to tell the prof that I would be taking student Xs seat because she was absent. He went over to his list of people to call on that day and said, "It's a good thing you told me. I was going to call on that student. Well, it looks like you're on today. Let's see what you've got," as he walked away laughing. I wasn't sure if he was for real, so I looked though the reading and felt ready for it. It never came though. Looking back, it would have been kinda mean of him to do that.

HJO

Postby HJO » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:05 pm

Mattalones wrote:I visited my GF at her LS and went to tell the prof that I would be taking student Xs seat because she was absent. He went over to his list of people to call on that day and said, "It's a good thing you told me. I was going to call on that student. Well, it looks like you're on today. Let's see what you've got," as he walked away laughing. I wasn't sure if he was for real, so I looked though the reading and felt ready for it. It never came though. Looking back, it would have been kinda mean of him to do that.

You went to visit your GF at law school and she made you go to her class while she skipped?
Last edited by HJO on Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:15 pm

HJO wrote:
Mattalones wrote:I visited my GF at her LS and went to tell the prof that I would be taking student Xs seat because she was absent. He went over to his list of people to call on that day and said, "It's a good thing you told me. I was going to call on that student. Well, it looks like you're on today. Let's see what you've got," as he walked away laughing. I wasn't sure if he was for real, so I looked though the reading and felt ready for it. It never came though. Looking back, it would have been kinda mean of him to do that.

You went to visit your GF at law school and she made you go to her class while she skipped?

F that in the A.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he wasn't taking his GF's seat. Still, funny story.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:25 pm

Kohinoor wrote:It's a rite of passage. Before each class, the prof asks if there are any visiting students. It's too naive to think you can sit in on a class without doing the reading. They'll be nice and just ask you like the facts of the case rather than the legal theories.

Wait, you're expected to read the material before you visit a class? How are you supposed to read if you don't have the book?

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:29 pm

Kim617 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:It's a rite of passage. Before each class, the prof asks if there are any visiting students. It's too naive to think you can sit in on a class without doing the reading. They'll be nice and just ask you like the facts of the case rather than the legal theories.

Wait, you're expected to read the material before you visit a class? How are you supposed to read if you don't have the book?

Sarcasm fail.

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:45 pm

SamSeaborn2016 wrote:
HJO wrote:

F that in the A.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he wasn't taking his GF's seat. Still, funny story.

Yeah, it was her friend's seat. I would say F that in the A too, but it wasn't the case :-)

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:55 pm

gladiator wrote:In one of my classes last year, a visiting girl that was waitlisted, not even admitted, raised her and contributed to the conversation. 10,000,000 gunner points.

Did it get her off the WL?

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:57 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:

Did it get her off the WL?

No clue. Given UVA's WL last year, I'd guess not.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”