Penn State Open Houses 2010

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
izzy1

Re: Penn State Open Houses 2010

Postby izzy1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:22 pm

The Days inn is actually pretty good (much better than any other days inn I've seen) and it's within walking distance of all the downtown bars as well as campus and the loop stops. It's also got Mad Mex downstairs which has a good beer selection great happy hour specials and draws a big crowd on weekends.

JohnnyDarko

Postby JohnnyDarko » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:11 am

Thanks, Days Inn is booked. I will be at the Sleep Inn. Cant wait. See ya'll next week.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:12 am

Do you think the penn stater is an ok place to stay, because that is where I will be, well I will figure it out! Yay, a week!

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:52 pm

Is there any other information besides the confirmation email? Are we just supposed to show up at the law building at 9:30am and be told where to go from there?

JohnnyDarko

Postby JohnnyDarko » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:18 pm

From an email sent today:

Thank you for your interest in attending the Penn State Law Open House at University Park on Saturday, March 20, 2010.

Registration starts at 9:30am with a continental breakfast. The day’s activities will include a faculty panel, student panel, Mock Class and a lunch with faculty and current students. We will conclude the day with a tour of the state-of-the-art Lewis Katz Building conducted by current students, who will be available to share their experiences as Penn State Law students.

Please visit the Campus Maps page if you need directions to University Park. The Lewis Katz Building is located at the intersection of Park Avenue and Bigler Road beside the Arboretum. Parking is available in the lot behind the Katz Building.

We have reserved a block of rooms at the Nittany Lion Inn and the Penn Stater Conference Hotel for the evening of Friday, March 19th. If you are interested in staying at these hotel establishments, please reference DICC10B when you call to make your reservation at (800) 233-7505. The reservation will require one night deposit or an accepted credit card number. The room rate is $92.00/night plus any applicable taxes. You are more than welcome to use any local hotel establishment that you choose.

Congratulations on your invitation to join Penn State Law in the Fall 2010! We are looking forward to meeting you!

As an aside, anybody going out Friday night? My flight gets in around 7:00 PM and Id like to go out and experience the town a bit. Anybody wanna go?

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:06 pm

JohnnyDarko wrote:From an email sent today:

Thank you for your interest in attending the Penn State Law Open House at University Park on Saturday, March 20, 2010.

Registration starts at 9:30am with a continental breakfast. The day’s activities will include a faculty panel, student panel, Mock Class and a lunch with faculty and current students. We will conclude the day with a tour of the state-of-the-art Lewis Katz Building conducted by current students, who will be available to share their experiences as Penn State Law students.

Please visit the Campus Maps page if you need directions to University Park. The Lewis Katz Building is located at the intersection of Park Avenue and Bigler Road beside the Arboretum. Parking is available in the lot behind the Katz Building.

We have reserved a block of rooms at the Nittany Lion Inn and the Penn Stater Conference Hotel for the evening of Friday, March 19th. If you are interested in staying at these hotel establishments, please reference DICC10B when you call to make your reservation at (800) 233-7505. The reservation will require one night deposit or an accepted credit card number. The room rate is $92.00/night plus any applicable taxes. You are more than welcome to use any local hotel establishment that you choose.

Congratulations on your invitation to join Penn State Law in the Fall 2010! We are looking forward to meeting you!

As an aside, anybody going out Friday night? My flight gets in around 7:00 PM and Id like to go out and experience the town a bit. Anybody wanna go?

I got that email too. I am getting very excited about going.

shavisimo2

Postby shavisimo2 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:31 pm

As an aside, anybody going out Friday night? My flight gets in around 7:00 PM and Id like to go out and experience the town a bit. Anybody wanna go?[/quote]

I'll be out. happy hour from 7-9 at the Phyrst and at Bar Bleu from 9-11...

JohnnyDarko

Postby JohnnyDarko » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:58 pm

Cool man, if any other TLSers want to hang PM me and we can swap numbers and text it up to meet. Im super stoked.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:33 am

Anyone else bringing a guest to the Open House?

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:29 pm

I am see you tomorrow hopefully going out afterwords!

JohnnyDarko

Postby JohnnyDarko » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Anyone else tired and feeling overwhelmed?

Snowdrifter

Postby Snowdrifter » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:29 pm

I attended today. It was informative, if a bit long. A lot of the information became repetitive towards the end of the day. I think in the future they should simply hold the faculty panel, a tour, lunch, and a student panel. The mock class was alright, but unnecessary. The Student services panel really didn't give me any information that wasn't repeated in the other panels later.

I'm still undecided on campus choice. I'm 25, and pretty much done with my heavy partying days. State College really is pretty isolated and far away from any non-law-school friends or family. :/

I think the determining factors for me will be trying to determine if Carlisle confers any employment advantage towards getting work in the DC area, and/or if Carlisle has a decent social situation. If it's mostly older couples with families, that's probably not that entertaining. No offense to the people with families. ;)

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:20 pm

Snowdrifter wrote:I attended today. It was informative, if a bit long. A lot of the information became repetitive towards the end of the day. I think in the future they should simply hold the faculty panel, a tour, lunch, and a student panel. The mock class was alright, but unnecessary. The Student services panel really didn't give me any information that wasn't repeated in the other panels later.

I'm still undecided on campus choice. I'm 25, and pretty much done with my heavy partying days. State College really is pretty isolated and far away from any non-law-school friends or family. :/

I think the determining factors for me will be trying to determine if Carlisle confers any employment advantage towards getting work in the DC area, and/or if Carlisle has a decent social situation. If it's mostly older couples with families, that's probably not that entertaining. No offense to the people with families. ;)

Totally underwhelmed by the entire day ( Cardozo was 10-7pm so I was prepared), I really thought Penn State was a good choice for me, but my tour guide gave a horrible impression, just is not the school for me, I am leaning towards Villanova now, so glad I visited though, it made my choice a lot easier

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:19 pm

I thought the Open House was very poorly set up. The tour shouldn't have been last (everyone was exhausted by then) and the panels became repetitive and shouldn't have all been held in the same room. But, the facilities were amazing and I do believe that Penn State is on a truly unmatched upward trend as far as ranking and prestige are concerned. I am pretty sure I am going to mail my check within the week.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:13 pm

jbarl1 wrote:I thought the Open House was very poorly set up. The tour shouldn't have been last (everyone was exhausted by then) and the panels became repetitive and shouldn't have all been held in the same room. But, the facilities were amazing and I do believe that Penn State is on a truly unmatched upward trend as far as ranking and prestige are concerned. I am pretty sure I am going to mail my check within the week.

Ah! They have brainwashed you! Haha jk but I really feel that after visiting some many schools and a few ASDs that most of the schools in the bottom of tier1/ top half of tier 2 are essentially the same. The only differences being location and the type of students that attend, which makes your school choice very personal, and I do not think you can really go wrong. And that is what I learned this week haha good luck though!

Jones, Dow

Postby Jones, Dow » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:30 pm

horriblegb wrote:
Snowdrifter wrote:I attended today. It was informative, if a bit long. A lot of the information became repetitive towards the end of the day. I think in the future they should simply hold the faculty panel, a tour, lunch, and a student panel. The mock class was alright, but unnecessary. The Student services panel really didn't give me any information that wasn't repeated in the other panels later.

Totally underwhelmed by the entire day ( Cardozo was 10-7pm so I was prepared), I really thought Penn State was a good choice for me, but my tour guide gave a horrible impression, just is not the school for me, I am leaning towards Villanova now, so glad I visited though, it made my choice a lot easier

hey, just out of curiosity, what did you dislike about the tour guide?

thanks

ahk!

Postby ahk! » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:14 am

Anyone go to Carlisle this past weekend? Please share impressions.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”