Penn State Open Houses 2010

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
horriblegb

Penn State Open Houses 2010

Postby horriblegb » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:19 pm

I am thinking about going to the Penn State open house March 20th at University Park, but I have never been to University Park, let alone Pennsylvania. I was wondering if anyone from the area knows of the best airport to fly into, should I rent a car, the most convenient places to stay, what else may be fun to do etc. I am looking to go out on a budget from the Southwest. I really did not find any information on the website about this to be super helpful, but maybe I missed something. Anyone care to help out a confused lady? Thanks!

badwithpseudonyms

Re: Penn State Open Houses 2010

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:33 pm

horriblegb wrote:I am thinking about going to the Penn State open house March 20th at University Park, but I have never been to University Park, let alone Pennsylvania. I was wondering if anyone from the area knows of the best airport to fly into, should I rent a car, the most convenient places to stay, what else may be fun to do etc. I am looking to go out on a budget from the Southwest. I really did not find any information on the website about this to be super helpful, but maybe I missed something. Anyone care to help out a confused lady? Thanks!

UP is a great place to go to school (or visit friends for football games), but there is nothing else out there. There is an airport in State College, and the next closest is Harrisburg. You can rent a car or take a taxi or shuttle from the airport to the school. All of the info is on the airport website. Not sure about the closest hotel. The law school is off Park Ave and Bigler Rd. Google suggests the Nittany Lion Inn and Executive Preferred Suites as close options.

As far as fun things to do... Eat some ice cream and go to a house party. There are a lot of those out there. Oh, and the burrito shop is pretty good. Decent bar scene too. Wish I could be more help but I've only visited.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:47 am

No that is great I am really just clueless about the area, I am quite excited to go check it out!

shavisimo2

Postby shavisimo2 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:30 am

I feel like an idiot posting at 3:30 in the morning, but this caught my eye. I'm a UG student at PSU and obviously a bit unsober right now, but you should definitely come out here for the open house. State College is a wonderful place, and while I've resigned myself to being in SoCal or Philly for the next 3 years, I would say at least give Penn State a shot. While there may not be much to do in the town itself, there are so many things that happen amongst the 40k students here that you could fall in love with the school instantly. Send me a message if you would like to know what to do during the open house times as I will be here then and will be attending those open houses, but I do not foresee myself as a 7 year student at this point (as much as I would love to spend 3 more years in State College)

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:07 pm

Kind of off topic but that is exactly how i feel about my undergrad institution, i love it, but I cannot stay here any longer, or else I may never leave haha. A big city feel is not a necessity to me, as a matter of fact, i like the small town feel, and several of the people I know who have been there seem to think that I will enjoy it!

keemos

Postby keemos » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:13 pm

I would go to the University Park open house but Temple's is the same day so I am going to the Carlisle one on the 27th. I guess I am glad because it can help me decide if Carlisle is better than University Park

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:43 pm

I am sticking with University Park but because of my significant others need to finish undergrad. So found out about the travel stipend today, $300 plus one night at NLI (had to email Jay Shively to get it), but rooms are only reserved through this Friday, so I guess i have to make a commitment asap!

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:45 pm

horriblegb wrote:I am sticking with University Park but because of my significant others need to finish undergrad. So found out about the travel stipend today, $300 plus one night at NLI (had to email Jay Shively to get it), but rooms are only reserved through this Friday, so I guess i have to make a commitment asap!

I am receiving a travel stipend as well. I am not staying at their hotel but I am going to claim mine and my gas money and maybe some food too.

I am really excited for my first visit! :D

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:17 pm

So, how is everyone going to dress?

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:34 pm

horriblegb wrote:So, how is everyone going to dress?

I was planning on nice jeans and a shirt/cardigan/scarf or a skirt if the weather is warmer. I might wear khakis instead of jeans also.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:43 pm

Alright that is what I was thinking, nice jeans, flats and sweater! Awesome thank you!

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:06 pm

horriblegb wrote:Alright that is what I was thinking, nice jeans, flats and sweater! Awesome thank you!

So you think jeans are ok? I am glad haha I was worried!

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:09 pm

Well that is what I had read on the Cardozo forum as well that some girls were planning to wear to the open house so I hope it is ok, they already accepted us right?

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:36 pm

horriblegb wrote:Well that is what I had read on the Cardozo forum as well that some girls were planning to wear to the open house so I hope it is ok, they already accepted us right?

Agreed!

GTLAWSCHOOL

Postby GTLAWSCHOOL » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:29 pm

Hey guys recently accepted(last Thursday), and really wanting to take a trip out there maybe for open house. I saw someone said something about a travel stipend, anyone mind sharing how you go about asking for it or do they just notify you if you got one or not?

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:27 pm

GTLAWSCHOOL wrote:Hey guys recently accepted(last Thursday), and really wanting to take a trip out there maybe for open house. I saw someone said something about a travel stipend, anyone mind sharing how you go about asking for it or do they just notify you if you got one or not?

Email admission or Jay Shively and tell them you are interested in visiting and would like to know more about travel reimbursement. I am not sure if this is only for Open House or for any visit, but I know that they are offering up to $300 reimbursement for gas and lodging with the presentation of your receipts.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:16 pm

I am really excited for next week :)

JohnnyDarko

Postby JohnnyDarko » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:56 pm

Officially going and stoked. Planning on staying at the penn stater.

shavisimo2

Postby shavisimo2 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:44 am

When does everyone get in? There are great happy hours from 4-11 throughout town on Friday for those interested...

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:20 am

shavisimo2 wrote:When does everyone get in? There are great happy hours from 4-11 throughout town on Friday for those interested...

I will be coming in sometime Friday evening...so maybe I will have to grab a drink or two haha

I am really excited!

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:19 pm

I will be arriving by bus around 10 pm in State College, so I think I will for sure be ready for a drink

shavisimo2

Postby shavisimo2 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Well Bar Bleu has happy hour from 9-11 on friday, can't guarantee I'll be there, but it's a suggestion. It's on Garner street in close to College Avenue. There will probably be a line. It's far from the bus station, but if you get off the bus, there are the campus bus stops right nearby and you can take the white loop and stop pretty close. PM me if you'd like more info. Just trying to help out some potential PSUers and see you all at the open house.

JohnnyDarko

Postby JohnnyDarko » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:48 pm

Can someone please suggest a hotel? The Nittany Lion Inn is booked up. I was thinking about the Penn Stater but I really have no idea what the layout of campus and the town is. I would like to be somewhere close to some decent action (bars, shopping, restaurants, other prospective law students, etc). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:49 pm

JohnnyDarko wrote:Can someone please suggest a hotel? The Nittany Lion Inn is booked up. I was thinking about the Penn Stater but I really have no idea what the layout of campus and the town is. I would like to be somewhere close to some decent action (bars, shopping, restaurants, other prospective law students, etc). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm just staying at the cheapest place I could get (the Sleep Inn) so I am not of any help...sorry!

JohnnyDarko

Postby JohnnyDarko » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:56 pm

I was looking there too. That might be the one. At any rate, see you next week!!!!

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”