University of Houston Admitted Students Preview Day

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Zojirushi

Re: University of Houston Admitted Students Preview Day

Postby Zojirushi » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:24 pm

TCS wrote:So what were everyone's thoughts about the ASD? Overall, their sales pitch was about what I expected--lower cost, high value, large legal market. I thought the mock class professor was pretty good. The financial aid talk kind of left me feeling like there was a dark cloud hanging over my head... namely, the 17% tuition increase over 2009, the lack of useful advice from the rep, and her inability to correctly pronounce "FAFSA." Also not getting financial aid notification until after most first deposits are due... quite annoying.

I don't think they hurt themselves but they didn't score any points with me.

I actually appreciated her warning. If going to another school where they play down the burden of 80,000 of student debt is your idea of winning points, good luck. She kept it real. :wink:

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:59 pm

Zojirushi wrote:
TCS wrote:So what were everyone's thoughts about the ASD? Overall, their sales pitch was about what I expected--lower cost, high value, large legal market. I thought the mock class professor was pretty good. The financial aid talk kind of left me feeling like there was a dark cloud hanging over my head... namely, the 17% tuition increase over 2009, the lack of useful advice from the rep, and her inability to correctly pronounce "FAFSA." Also not getting financial aid notification until after most first deposits are due... quite annoying.

I don't think they hurt themselves but they didn't score any points with me.

I actually appreciated her warning. If going to another school where they play down the burden of 80,000 of student debt is your idea of winning points, good luck. She kept it real. :wink:

She did. But suggesting that the solution was to "live like a college student again" turned me off a bit. I already do that. Expecting a deposit before financial aid notification is just poor form.

I don't mind that she laid all of her cards on the table... that was not a mistake. We need to make decisions based on reality, especially with such an investment at stake.

madmartigan

Postby madmartigan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:30 pm

Dow anyone else think they may be gaming faid #s? I always see how XX% of students get scholarships or grants. And it's a good number, I forget exactly but over 50%. But then I saw a stat about how the average grant issued was like 3-5k. Seems like they may be handing out tons of small grants to get the total amount of students receiving $ up. Grant sizes at other schools are much larger.

Does it matter if they notify about loans pre/post deposit deadline? i know it's bad form, but aren't loan offerings pretty standard... XXX for stafford, XXX for direct loans, etc.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:16 am

madmartigan wrote:Dow anyone else think they may be gaming faid #s? I always see how XX% of students get scholarships or grants. And it's a good number, I forget exactly but over 50%. But then I saw a stat about how the average grant issued was like 3-5k. Seems like they may be handing out tons of small grants to get the total amount of students receiving $ up. Grant sizes at other schools are much larger.

Does it matter if they notify about loans pre/post deposit deadline? i know it's bad form, but aren't loan offerings pretty standard... XXX for stafford, XXX for direct loans, etc.

Usually. At the time I understood that to mean scholarships as well, but I could have been mistaken.

mr.ford

Postby mr.ford » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:26 am

Is the ASD worth a 12 hour round trip drive? I am considering going to the one on Friday, just not sure if it's worth missing class, work, and driving all the way to Houston.

Zojirushi

Postby Zojirushi » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:23 am

mr.ford wrote:Is the ASD worth a 12 hour round trip drive? I am considering going to the one on Friday, just not sure if it's worth missing class, work, and driving all the way to Houston.

Not if you could do it at a more convenient time. There wasn't much new information put out (at least for me), the staff/faculty are very personable and friendly, and the building looks like a bunker. :D

madmartigan

Postby madmartigan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:36 pm

mr.ford wrote:Is the ASD worth a 12 hour round trip drive? I am considering going to the one on Friday, just not sure if it's worth missing class, work, and driving all the way to Houston.

I’ve been contemplating the utility of the ASD as well.

After looking over the agenda, I don’t think I’ll be getting much new information. FAID, what to expect from 1L, how to study, etc… all topics I’ve researched thoroughly. So it seems like meeting classmates and faculty is the only real perk. I’m a 4 hour drive away and I doubt I’ll be attending (especially since it starts at the asscrack of dawn).

Josh the Goat

Postby Josh the Goat » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:19 pm

I'll be at the Admitted Students Day, but I'm a 2L at UH so I'm helping to great people in the morning.

I didn't go to any of the admitted student days when I was a 0L, and I'm not sure if I really missed out on anything. I actually thought it was kind of funny that I never visited UH Law until the first day of orientation, and I even lived in Houston at the time.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”