Berkeley ASW 2010

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
lovepink2

Re: Berkeley ASW 2010

Postby lovepink2 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:32 pm

Hi all. I'm a first time poster on this thread. I'll be attending the event. It'd be nice to meet up with all of you.

schmo

Postby schmo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:43 pm

orphanarium wrote:
kingabraham3 wrote:does anyone know the best way to get from SFO to Berkeley? I'm assuming the BART is the best inexpensive way to go.

also, lets (pleez) do a TLS meet-up. Anyone from Berkeley want to suggest a place?

Yup - the BART is the best way to go. Make sure to get off the "Downtown Berkeley" stop and not the "North Berkeley" stop.

As for a TLS meet-up, I'd recommend Jayakarta. It's an awesome Indonesian Restaurant located on University Ave. It's a little small, but based on this thread's traffic, I would think that wouldn't be a problem.

I LOVE Jayakarta! Good suggestion, Orphanarium. Most Berkeley students don't know about it.

86revolt

Postby 86revolt » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:19 am

I'm in favor of a bar. Jupiter is the best grad student bar near campus. Best IPA around, hands down. What time are people thinking of doing this? And which day? I would think Friday post-ASW is naturally the best time. Say, 7 pm?

86revolt

Postby 86revolt » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:25 am

bigc2 wrote:Friday (beat the clock, anyone?)

The program I think ends too late for beat the clock. The reception at the art museum is over at 5, but there are some receptions hosted by student groups that I may want to check out. Bears Lair is empty by then. That's why I suggested Jupiter. Plus it's good to get off the campus and walk over to Shattuck.

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:41 am

86revolt wrote:I'm in favor of a bar. Jupiter is the best grad student bar near campus. Best IPA around, hands down. What time are people thinking of doing this? And which day? I would think Friday post-ASW is naturally the best time. Say, 7 pm?

I vote for Jupiter at 7pm. We can get some food and/or beer/wine. Is that too late to beat some of the crowd? Maybe 6:30? One of my best friends lives in SF and I planned on meeting him in the city at 9ish but I still want to meet all of you!

Also, I like Gymboree's idea of the blue dot so that people have that option. Maybe we could keep our nametags on (lame, I know) at Jupiter so we know who's there for Boalt and we can find each other? Other ideas?

bigc2

Postby bigc2 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:02 pm

86revolt wrote:

The program I think ends too late for beat the clock. The reception at the art museum is over at 5, but there are some receptions hosted by student groups that I may want to check out. Bears Lair is empty by then. That's why I suggested Jupiter. Plus it's good to get off the campus and walk over to Shattuck.

Good call. Jupiter is always a great place to spend the evening; hopefully it wont' be too busy and it'll be easy for everyone to find each other!

Ayeshabelle

Postby Ayeshabelle » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:20 pm

Does anyone know the itinerary for ASW?

ppa840

Postby ppa840 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:27 am

bigc2 wrote:
86revolt wrote:

Good call. Jupiter is always a great place to spend the evening; hopefully it wont' be too busy and it'll be easy for everyone to find each other!

So is everyone cool with Jupiter?

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:03 am

Jupiter is a great place. I'd love to join. Is this happening tonight or Fri?

joshhoward

Postby joshhoward » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:01 pm

so lets call it official:

Jupiter, Friday at 7pm.

Hopefully it won't be hard for peeps like me (never been to Berkeley!) to find.

I'm still gonna put a little dot on the corner of my name-tag, and I'm not that intimidating anyways (or so I think), so definitely come say hi if you spot me (there's a lame pun going on here also lol).

Ayeshabelle wrote:Does anyone know the itinerary for ASW?

--LinkRemoved--

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:54 pm

kingabraham3 wrote:so lets call it official:

Jupiter, Friday at 7pm.

Hopefully it won't be hard for peeps like me (never been to Berkeley!) to find.

I'm still gonna put a little dot on the corner of my name-tag, and I'm not that intimidating anyways (or so I think), so definitely come say hi if you spot me (there's a lame pun going on here also lol).

Ayeshabelle wrote:Does anyone know the itinerary for ASW?

--LinkRemoved--

Yes! I'm excited. I'm currently on the plane to San Francisco. I love technology. Still haven't decided if I'll go with the dot or not. I hope to see most (if not all) of you tomorrow night and tonight at the Bar Review.

amputatedbrain

Postby amputatedbrain » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:12 pm

Officially in Berkeley!

dlac

Postby dlac » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:19 pm

Anybody know what the Diversity Reception is all about? Anyone attending? I'm debating it but it looks like a three (3!) hour thing(?). I feel like time would be better spent wandering the streets like a crazy person.

dlac

Postby dlac » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:48 am

holy sh** berkeley kids love their alcohol and pizza.

lsnoob

Postby lsnoob » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:44 pm

anyone flying out of SFO early tomorrow (Sunday) morning? i just realized that my 9am flight means i won't be able to get to SFO via BART and will have to cab it or find someone who is nice enough to take me with them.

i'd be happy to split cab fare or pay for gas and breakfast. i also just have a bookbag and a small dufflebag. PM me if you are willing/able to save me. thanks!

lsnoob

Postby lsnoob » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:08 pm

lsnoob wrote:anyone flying out of SFO early tomorrow (Sunday) morning? i just realized that my 9am flight means i won't be able to get to SFO via BART and will have to cab it or find someone who is nice enough to take me with them.

i'd be happy to split cab fare or pay for gas and breakfast. i also just have a bookbag and a small dufflebag. PM me if you are willing/able to save me. thanks!

or if any locals would happen to have a better idea, that'd be a huge help too...

Legacy316

Postby Legacy316 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:44 pm

I LOVE Berkeley!!!

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:03 pm

super fun - loved it.

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:37 pm

I had a great time. I'm now 99 percent sure that I'll be attending.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:52 am

Most awkward moment of Friday [during Boalt students panel]:

0L: "Why did you pick Berkeley?"

Student panelist, smiling: "The money. Boalt gave me an amazing scholarship."

Room of hundreds: [SILENCE]

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:57 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Most awkward moment of Friday [during Boalt students panel]:

LOL. I almost forgot about that after the adorable story of the Boalt 1L who Skypes with his wife in Princeton while they do homework. Dorks in love.

I didn't go to the financial aid panel but I heard that the guy in charge was borderline rude/ maybe too direct. Something about how if you have a scholarship anywhere else, admits should choose to go there without a doubt? Is this true?

What did people think overall? I just loved how down-to-earth and funny the professors, current students and admits were. The construction was annoying but I thought that everything else made up for it.

Legacy316

Postby Legacy316 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:17 pm

sandiecohen47 wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:Most awkward moment of Friday [during Boalt students panel]:

LOL. I almost forgot about that after the adorable story of the Boalt 1L who Skypes with his wife in Princeton while they do homework. Dorks in love.

I didn't go to the financial aid panel but I heard that the guy in charge was borderline rude/ maybe too direct. Something about how if you have a scholarship anywhere else, admits should choose to go there without a doubt? Is this true?

What did people think overall? I just loved how down-to-earth and funny the professors, current students and admits were. The construction was annoying but I thought that everything else made up for it.

I spoke with the guy who shared his Skype story and he was really cool. One thing I really enjoyed about the current students was their transparency. All of the current students I talked to were very upfront and open about their experiences with Boalt; it was really nice. Also, both Dean Tom and Edley were awesome and hilarious!!!

And yes, I loved how down-to-earth all the future and current Boalties were. I had the chance to talk with some students heading out to Stanford and Harvard, and I got an entirely different impression from most of them. Don't get me wrong, they were nice and very interesting individuals, but I could see myself connecting with Boalties a lot more. Overall, I thought the program lacked some things (like space) but I realllly loved everything about Berkeley. The surrounding area (The Bay!), the proffessors (everyone better remember what retribution means!), and most of all the people! Everyting was so different from everything I have experienced but in the best possible way!!!

Go Bears!!!
Last edited by Legacy316 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:41 pm

Like others on here, I had a good time at ASD. I talked to (and drank with) dozens of current students, and what people say is true: Boalties seem happier and friendlier than the students I've met at other law schools.

I was not, however, a fan of Dean Edley's talk. True, he was funny. But all he did was make jokes. He didn't talk about the state of the job market and he didn't talk about how the California budget crisis would continue to impact the law school. Pretty much everyone in that room was concerned about those things. At Columbia's ASD in March, the Dean squarely acknowledged the rough job market; he talked about how CLS was helping students. I thought that Dean Edley could have taken his speech a little more seriously.

TheNerdProject

Postby TheNerdProject » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:09 pm

Boalt 1L here... You guys were GREAT!

Like I told a lot of the admits I met this weekend: it took me a long time to accept how much fun Berkeley Law students actually have. I couldn't really believe it as an admit at last year's ASW, but living it for almost two semesters convinced me that it actually IS fun to be a law student at Boalt--even for 1Ls!

I think it's a combination of the cool people at Boalt, the laid-back/non-competitive atmosphere, and the fact that you get to choose from a ton of extracurriculars your first year, both short-in-length activities (e.g. Bales mock trial competition, journal work) and longer ones (e.g. Worker's Rights Clinic; asylum representation (CARC); juvenile hall outreach; journal work).

Further, I know several 3Ls who don't want to leave, which unfortunately isn't the case for a lot of my friends at Berkeley's peer schools.

Come to Boalt you guys! You won't regret it!

spiffypyro

Postby spiffypyro » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:05 pm

sandiecohen47 wrote:

I was at the financial aid panel and it was without a doubt the least reassuring financial aid session I've ever been to. The director sounded harried, as I'm sure he was with swarms of 0Ls trying to meet individually with his office. But his attitude was pretty much borderline depressive. He essentially said that if you have a scholarship somewhere else you should probably go there because Berkeley does not have the money to give scholarships to a lot of incoming students. (I think, however, he was implying that trying to leverage other offers would be ineffective, more than trying to discourage students to come here.)

I had an amazing time at ASD and will likely be headed to Boalt in fall... still waiting/hoping for word about matching scholarships though.

Also, I didn't realize that one can apply for UC housing without it being binding. So even though I haven't committed to Berkeley yet I submitted my application for the housing this weekend. I looked at Ida Jackson and Manville after the ASD ended and both were better than I was expecting, but I will likely try to search outside, since there are apparently cheaper and better options if you have the time to look.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”