Texas ASD 2010

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
adrib

Re: Texas ASD 2010

Postby adrib » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:58 pm

does anyone have a schedule for ASD? I don't think I can miss two days of work, but I could probably swing Friday.

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:16 pm

adrib wrote:does anyone have a schedule for ASD? I don't think I can miss two days of work, but I could probably swing Friday.

booooooo lol jk.

i havent recieved a schedule but i don't think you'll miss too much by skipping out on Thursday. as far as i know Thursday was there to offer the segway tour and to meet with a financial aid representative. seems like a pretty laid back/chill day.

Friday seems like it will be a lot more structured with much more to do but i havent been emailed a schedule or anything. i think once we get closer to the date and registration is posted on the 2nd we'll see some scheduling (hopefully).

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:10 pm

catharsis wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
f0bolous wrote:is renting a car advisable for asw? or is it easier/cheaper to just cab around?

Depends. Where are you staying? How much exploring do you want to do?

staying at the Doubletree and am probably going downtown every night.

is public transit 24 hours?

renting will probably cost me ~$150+ gas for the 3 days

i'll have my car, and we're staying at the same place, so if we all go out at the same time i wouldn't mind giving you a ride! spending $150+ on transportation would be too gross lol. from what i hear the bus system in Austin is really excellent as well.

The bus system runs partially at night. Its called the E-bus and makes a couple of runs between 6th and areas where there are a lot of students (campus, West campus, and Riverside are the only three I think...)

I caution you against driving. Parking near 6th is insane and it is usually better to just find a cab and pay the $5-$10 fare. Besides, if you drive someone has to stay sober.

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:15 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:The bus system runs partially at night. Its called the E-bus and makes a couple of runs between 6th and areas where there are a lot of students (campus, West campus, and Riverside are the only three I think...)

I caution you against driving. Parking near 6th is insane and it is usually better to just find a cab and pay the $5-$10 fare. Besides, if you drive someone has to stay sober.

Taylor, you prove to be wise once again. I guess I won't be driving anywhere at night but Im up for splitting a cab with anyone or figuring out the bus system! Also, Thursday seems pretty open during the day so if anyone wants to see the city I'm up for driving if needed as well. :D

btw, can you introduce me to the place where i can spend $2 and get 2 beers from? lol

flagirl

Postby flagirl » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:22 pm

Is anybody going apartment hunting while I'm are down there!! Does anybody know what is a reasonable budget for a 1/1 and where I should look?

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:17 pm

catharsis wrote:
UTaylor526 wrote:The bus system runs partially at night. Its called the E-bus and makes a couple of runs between 6th and areas where there are a lot of students (campus, West campus, and Riverside are the only three I think...)

Taylor, you prove to be wise once again. I guess I won't be driving anywhere at night but Im up for splitting a cab with anyone or figuring out the bus system! Also, Thursday seems pretty open during the day so if anyone wants to see the city I'm up for driving if needed as well. :D

btw, can you introduce me to the place where i can spend $2 and get 2 beers from? lol

HaHa, I've just learned from mistakes after having lived here for going on 4 years.

If you are convinced you want to drive to 6th and also sightsee, I recommend meeting up at the capitol before 6th. Its free parking (and parking is typically available) after 5. Out of town people could see the largest capitol building in the states and it would be easier to meet up than DT. Still the sober rule though.

Dollar beers on Thursday at Aquarium. Dollar wells until 11 I believe? There is also a place near campus that has dollar beers on Tuesday but it is typically a greek hangout.

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:21 pm

flagirl wrote:Is anybody going apartment hunting while I'm are down there!! Does anybody know what is a reasonable budget for a 1/1 and where I should look?

Depends on where you want to live. I lived in West Campus for a year and paid nearly 1k per month when all bills were put together.

You could live on Riverside (ghetto) and pay $400-$500. It is bus distance.

You could live in Far West (where I do currently) and get a 2/2 for about 900 or a 1/1 for about 600 before bills. Far West is about a 30 min bus ride away in traffic and buses run every 15 minutes during the day and then once every hour between 6-11 or something like that.

Or you could do what I am doing this year and living in North Campus/Hyde Park area. It is typically Seniors and/or grad students in this area and can range between 600-1k for a room depending on how new of a place. There are also a lot of houses in the area.

I suggest Craigslist.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:41 pm

flagirl wrote:Is anybody going apartment hunting while I'm are down there!! Does anybody know what is a reasonable budget for a 1/1 and where I should look?

I highly recommend staying away from West Campus. Overpriced, loud, and parking is often a real hassle. Apartments in North Campus and Hyde Park will run from about $650-$1100, depending on the age of the complexes. I will be living in a recently renovated 1/1 across from campus for $950, so a little on the expensive side, but within walking distance of the law school and new appliances, etc.

If you're looking for a more spacious and less expensive place, Far West and Riverside are options. Riverside is probably the louder area of the two, but there are some new complexes going up that look really nice.

Good luck with your apt search! Feel free to PM me with any other questions/concerns.

adrib

Postby adrib » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:24 pm

catharsis wrote:

if i do get to go for Friday, I volunteer to be the DD on Thursday night. You guys don't want to see me drunk, I cry.

entrechatsix

Postby entrechatsix » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:26 pm

adrib wrote:
catharsis wrote:

if i do get to go for Friday, I volunteer to be the DD on Thursday night. You guys don't want to see me drunk, I cry.

False. I wan't to see this.

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:30 pm

entrechatsix wrote:
adrib wrote:
catharsis wrote:

False. I wan't to see this.

Depends. Are you a very manly biker? Because if so, then yes this could be entertaining.

bmontminy

Postby bmontminy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:38 pm

catharsis wrote:UT ASW Doubletree-University Area
TLS MEMBERS!!

1. Catharsis
2. shanejamin
3. jelizabeth88
4. imisscollege
5. bmav26
6. philosoraptor
7. f0bulous
8. TheVoynichManuscript

* post that you're up for the Doubletree and I will edit the post to reflect how many people will be staying from TLS! Again, I will call the hotel this Saturday afternoon and try and give them a name for our group so they can house us on the same floor! After they confirm, I'll post here Satruday afternoon as well to let you guys know to start booking!! :D

There is a good chance that I would be up for this. If I bring my gf and friends for the weekend I will be down, but if I come alone I have a friend on Austin who i can bum a couch from.

adrib

Postby adrib » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:55 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:Depends. Are you a very manly biker? Because if so, then yes this could be entertaining.

sorry :( i'm a girl. me crying is just sad and a little pathetic.

Daico

Postby Daico » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:01 pm

What weekend is the ASD this year?

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:06 pm

adrib wrote:
catharsis wrote:

if you show up Thurs. night only only could you potentially be the DD for us (w00t!) but we could also scare people with our lolocat jokes :idea: :idea: .. jussayin..
Last edited by catharsis on Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:07 pm

bmontminy wrote:
catharsis wrote:UT ASW Doubletree-University Area
TLS MEMBERS!!

1. Catharsis
2. shanejamin
3. jelizabeth88
4. imisscollege
5. bmav26
6. philosoraptor
7. f0bulous
8. TheVoynichManuscript

* post that you're up for the Doubletree and I will edit the post to reflect how many people will be staying from TLS! Again, I will call the hotel this Saturday afternoon and try and give them a name for our group so they can house us on the same floor! After they confirm, I'll post here Satruday afternoon as well to let you guys know to start booking!! :D

There is a good chance that I would be up for this. If I bring my gf and friends for the weekend I will be down, but if I come alone I have a friend on Austin who i can bum a couch from.

sweet! we're glad youre coming up though!

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:07 pm

Daico wrote:What weekend is the ASD this year?

March 25-26 (Thursday-Friday)

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:25 pm

Anyone have experience taking a bus to Austin from Laredo/Mexico?

adrib

Postby adrib » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:11 pm

catharsis wrote:
adrib wrote:
catharsis wrote:

if you show up Thurs. night only only could you potentially be the DD for us (w00t!) but we could also scare people with our lolocat jokes :idea: :idea: .. jussayin..

yusssss. only i wouldn't say "scare" so much as "entertain/enlighten!"

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:15 pm

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:Anyone have experience taking a bus to Austin from Laredo/Mexico?

ive had a friend who visited family down in Laredo and she went to UT. i looked up the bus schedule for you through Greyhound (which she used and I assume is very happy with because she's used them many times and found out the following info for you).

*assuming you leave from Laredo

If you leave Thursday, March 25th @ 9am:- You can arrive there at 2:15pm
- It will take you 5 hours
- It will only cost you $27 with a 21 day advanced purchase through greyhound.com
- If you dont make the 21 day advanced purchase deadline you can get a webfare for $32.73

If you want to do a roundtrip busfare and come back on the 27th leaving Austin at 10:50am:
- It will cost you $54 with a 21 day advanced purchase.
- $62.90 if you miss the advanced purchase but book online through greyhound.com

the website for reference: --LinkRemoved--

hope that helps!
Last edited by catharsis on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

entrechatsix

Postby entrechatsix » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:17 pm

catharsis wrote:
John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:Anyone have experience taking a bus to Austin from Laredo/Mexico?

ive had a friend who visited family down in Laredo and she went to UT. i looked up the bus schedule for you through Greyhound (which she used and I assume is very happy with because she's used them many times and found out the following info for you).

- It will only cost you $27 with a 21 day advanced purchase through greyhound.com
- If you dont make the 21 day advanced purchase deadline you can get a webfare for $32.73

If you want to do a roundtrip busfare and come back on the 27th leaving Austin at 10:50am:
- $62.90 if you miss the advanced purchase but book online through greyhound.com

i just love you (and your adorable avatar) catharsis.

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:14 pm

thanks!! :D

i can't believe ASD is just a month away!!

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:36 pm

catharsis wrote:

*assuming you leave from Laredo

the website for reference: --LinkRemoved--

hope that helps!

Wow, that is an incredibly detailed post... especially from someone without personal knowledge of the bus line. Thanks!

Olive

Postby Olive » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:51 pm

adrib wrote:does anyone have a schedule for ASD? I don't think I can miss two days of work, but I could probably swing Friday.

+1

I'll likely drive down there Thursday afternoon so I'll probably miss all of Thursday's activities, but I'm looking forward to Friday!

86revolt

Postby 86revolt » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:24 pm

this thread is like a big kick in the cajones.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”