UMiami ASW 2010

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
destroyer

Re: UMiami ASW 2010

Postby destroyer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:07 pm

man Ill be in miami for spring break beginning of march, and I don't think I'll have the money to go back two weeks later, but I really want to :/

tigerlilly17

Postby tigerlilly17 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:14 pm

melaniec wrote:
sarlis wrote:
melaniec wrote:do parents generally go to these things?

Here is a thread I started a couple of months ago on this subject:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=100571&hilit=+parents

One of my parents will be flying down with me and staying in the hotel with me, but as far as anything associated with the law school, I will be going alone.

thanks for the link. i personally wouldn't want my parents to be there (despite how much i love them, all they've done for me, etc etc) but i know they'll be hurt/confused when i tell them i want to go alone. seems like the general consensus is that it's a bad idea to bring parents/SO's along.

Considering as how my SO will be suffering whatever decision I make when I chose my law school, I think it will be imperative to him there. Also, with him being an FSU law grad, it will be nice to have his opinion. So I am bringing my husband.

gator08

Postby gator08 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:29 pm

1 month 7 days 22 hours and 2 minutes until Miami ASW! Think I can't wait?

LSAT N00b

Postby LSAT N00b » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:34 pm

I will be out there bro.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:53 pm

gator08 wrote:1 month 7 days 22 hours and 2 minutes until Miami ASW! Think I can't wait?

give me an update!

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:00 pm

Does anyone know what time it begins/ends on Friday? I live down here so visiting the school is not a big deal but meeting some of you would be cool. However, I plan on attending Ultra because it's just amazing so hopefully it doesn't run too late on Friday

Also, BIG note for those wanting to go clubbing. WMC is that weekend and all the clubs get absolutely insane. Pick a club you want to go to and buy pre-sale tickets otherwise you'll be told to buy a table which start at $1,500 that week.

Here's a link worth looking at: http://www.wantickets.com/affiliates/Ev ... px?id=1076

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:03 pm

fcowrx wrote:Does anyone know what time it begins/ends on Friday? I live down here so visiting the school is not a big deal but meeting some of you would be cool. However, I plan on attending Ultra because it's just amazing so hopefully it doesn't run too late on Friday

Also, BIG note for those wanting to go clubbing. WMC is that weekend and all the clubs get absolutely insane. Pick a club you want to go to and buy pre-sale tickets otherwise you'll be told to buy a table which start at $1,500 that week.

Here's a link worth looking at: http://www.wantickets.com/affiliates/Ev ... px?id=1076

Thanks for the info:

what is Ultra and WMC (im not from Miami)

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:12 pm

sarlis wrote:Thanks for the info:

WMC is Winter Music Conference and it's kicked off in Miami every year. Ultra Music Festival is a 2-day event (Friday and Saturday) with a ton of artists performing. This year's line-up is even better than previous years, check it out below.

http://www.ultramusicfestival.com/

South Beach gets ridiculous/hectic/packed, basically without a pre-sale ticket don't bother with clubbing unless you have a great connection at a club. The hotels on South Beach have pool parties during the day which I hear are a great time so that might be worth looking into. Tickets for that go from free entry to like $35 and they all have guest appearances from DJs performing (and some not performing) at Ultra.

Note: Bars and the like in the Grove/Gables/Brickell area aren't really affected by WMC aside from a few more locals than usual that choose to stay off the Beach that weekend. It's really only South Beach that is affected...
Last edited by fcowrx on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:14 pm

FcoWRX is a mega clubber, leach off him if you want to go to the beach :D

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:17 pm

mrm2083 wrote:FcoWRX is a mega clubber, leach off him if you want to go to the beach :D

:lol: Lmao just a fair warning so everyone knows what to expect on South Beach that weekend...

tigerlilly17

Postby tigerlilly17 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:24 pm

The south beach clubs are overrated and overpriced, but this is coming from someone who has been clubbing there since she was 15. Drink specials in the Grove are awesome. Try the moose juice if you visit.

Most of the best places in Miami are off the beaten path. Half the fun of living there is discovering something new everyday.

melaniec

Postby melaniec » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:54 pm

fcowrx wrote:

WMC is Winter Music Conference and it's kicked off in Miami every year. Ultra Music Festival is a 2-day event (Friday and Saturday) with a ton of artists performing. This year's line-up is even better than previous years, check it out below.

South Beach gets ridiculous/hectic/packed, basically without a pre-sale ticket don't bother with clubbing unless you have a great connection at a club. The hotels on South Beach have pool parties during the day which I hear are a great time so that might be worth looking into. Tickets for that go from free entry to like $35 and they all have guest appearances from DJs performing (and some not performing) at Ultra.

Note: Bars and the like in the Grove/Gables/Brickell area aren't really affected by WMC aside from a few more locals than usual that choose to stay off the Beach that weekend. It's really only South Beach that is affected...

i've never heard of any of those artists... what kinda music is this?

gator08

Postby gator08 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:35 pm

melaniec wrote:
fcowrx wrote:

i've never heard of any of those artists... what kinda music is this?

I believe its House. Ask that guy at the beginning of this thread, he really likes House.

gator08

Postby gator08 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:39 pm

If South Beach is out of the question Fri-Sat, I'm thinking run through there Thurs. night and then check out the local spots in the Gables, South Miami and the Grove Fri-Sat.

Let's be honest I don't think too many of us roll deep enough to party consistently on South Beach, so to any Miami locals, where are some good nightlife spots outside of South Beach to check out? I agree wit whoever said that half the fun of living in a large city is constantly finding new places to visit.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:52 pm

gator08 wrote:If South Beach is out of the question Fri-Sat, I'm thinking run through there Thurs. night and then check out the local spots in the Gables, South Miami and the Grove Fri-Sat.

Let's be honest I don't think too many of us roll deep enough to party consistently on South Beach, so to any Miami locals, where are some good nightlife spots outside of South Beach to check out? I agree wit whoever said that half the fun of living in a large city is constantly finding new places to visit.

+1. we got to plan something, the ASD is only about a month away

i def think we should check out SB though, thursday would be good for that

gator08

Postby gator08 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 pm

sarlis wrote:
gator08 wrote:If South Beach is out of the question Fri-Sat, I'm thinking run through there Thurs. night and then check out the local spots in the Gables, South Miami and the Grove Fri-Sat.

+1. we got to plan something, the ASD is only about a month away

i def think we should check out SB though, thursday would be good for that

Alright couple things are concrete. SB thurs night, and our class's anthem is LMFAO I'm in Miami Bitch. That's all I got so far.

mps

Postby mps » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:59 pm

Someone else who loves house! yes!

most of the venues in Miami will be house-rific that weekend, thanks to Ultra.

are people mostly staying at the recommended hotel? anyone know about it/how convenient it is to other places? i have yet to book my room.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:39 pm

mps wrote:Someone else who loves house! yes!

most of the venues in Miami will be house-rific that weekend, thanks to Ultra.

are people mostly staying at the recommended hotel? anyone know about it/how convenient it is to other places? i have yet to book my room.

I am staying at the recommended hotel

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:02 pm

melaniec wrote:i've never heard of any of those artists... what kinda music is this?

Mainly house but some hip-hop/rap as well.

Popular spots in the Grove are Moe's (someone mentioned Moose Juice), Tavern, Greenstreet, Sandbar, Crazypianos, etc. In Brickell there is Irish Pub, Segafredos, Tobacco Road, and others.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:40 pm

fcowrx wrote:
melaniec wrote:i've never heard of any of those artists... what kinda music is this?

Mainly house but some hip-hop/rap as well.

Popular spots in the Grove are Moe's (someone mentioned Moose Juice), Tavern, Greenstreet, Sandbar, Crazypianos, etc. In Brickell there is Irish Pub, Segafredos, Tobacco Road, and others.

Is some fist-pumping in order?

it looks like there is a ton going on in The Grove. what is better to check out then, SB or The Grove?

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:21 pm

sarlis wrote:Is some fist-pumping in order?

it looks like there is a ton going on in The Grove. what is better to check out then, SB or The Grove?

Haha definitely.

Honestly it depends what you like, very different scenes. For clubbing you have to go to SoBe but that weekend is a hassle. I wouldn't recommend it unless you like House music and care to see one of the DJs at work. Visiting SoBe during the day on Friday or Saturday should be fine as Ultra is going on and all the tourists in town for WMC tend to go there (it's in Bicentennial Park). The Grove has a ton of bars all next to each other and people often go from one bar to the next throughout the night. It's actually really popular with the UM crowd. Plus the grove is close to campus so I'm assuming it's just as close to the recommended hotel.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:47 pm

fcowrx wrote:
sarlis wrote:Is some fist-pumping in order?

Haha definitely.

Honestly it depends what you like, very different scenes. For clubbing you have to go to SoBe but that weekend is a hassle. I wouldn't recommend it unless you like House music and care to see one of the DJs at work. Visiting SoBe during the day on Friday or Saturday should be fine as Ultra is going on and all the tourists in town for WMC tend to go there (it's in Bicentennial Park). The Grove has a ton of bars all next to each other and people often go from one bar to the next throughout the night. It's actually really popular with the UM crowd. Plus the grove is close to campus so I'm assuming it's just as close to the recommended hotel.

haha i want to see all the different scenes Miami has to offer, so I'm sure I will see The Grove and SB

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:42 pm

Anyone going to Scholarship weekend next week?
I applied for Miami Scholars Program about 3 weeks ago. I just got a call from UM represtantive 30 mins ago. She told me that I was selected as a Miami Scholar. Seriously, I was about to purchase the tickets for ASW in March........

LSAT N00b

Postby LSAT N00b » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:45 am

Just booked my ticket.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Charles Barkley will be attending UMiami ASW.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”