UMiami ASW 2010

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
mrm2083

Re: UMiami ASW 2010

Postby mrm2083 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:51 pm

I'm leaning away from Miami at the moment but I can tell you that for a school of Miami's ranking it is insane the amount of extremely successful people UM law produces. I know many UM law grads that are multimillionaires, some through big law and many through other venues.

gator08

Postby gator08 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:38 am

Sky, are you hating on me? I loved Miami, it's just that being from the Cleveland OH area and used to the low cost of living, Miami seemed expensive. But when you blow money like I do everything seems overpriced. You are right though Miami beach will bankrupt you. The funny thing is I spent most of my bank roll at coco walk and I loved every minute of it.

I have a one way ticket to Miami and I will see you in the fall. I appreciate your enthusiasms for UMiami and their alum. I loved Miami so much that I am trying to move down over 2 months before I planed. Can't wait to be back in the 305.

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:00 am

I've in lived in New Jersey, Boston, DC so Miami's cost of living doesn't really bug me. Went to undergrad in DC at American U and sure was expensive.

matchesmalone

Postby matchesmalone » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:11 am

Did any of you go on the housing tour?

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:48 am

I did..they just drove around the area (South Miami, Coconut Grove, Brickell, Coral Gables). We didnt see any specific apartment complexes. I'd prefer to live in Coral Gables cause its close by and safer than the other places. The grove seemed nice where we drove by but apparently there's a really bad area just blocks away from the decent part.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:09 am

Sky'stheLimit wrote:
eagles86 wrote:There's more than just biglaw out there...South Florida most likely has some decent midlaw firms as well. Florida also has no state- income tax, which helps even more. Sure, I think this is bad policy (center-left/ moderate Democrat here) but more $$ in my pocket can't hurt :) Some people think that Miami is a major culture shock but I don't really believe it. South Florida has a northeastern vibe so I felt fairly comfortable...like Miami because it offers great weather without that "southern" culture that's present in many places throughout the southeast.

Im from south florida, and I promise it's not that expensive. Granted if you're from West Virginia, you may disagree. But it's Miami! Name any other city where if you live with one roommate your rent will be less than $800 p/mo. Going out in Miami is a different story. Forget about South Beach, you'll get over it quickly (or you'll get tired of $18 drinks). Miami is a great city with fabulous alumni, and I dont care what any Gator says; In Miami even Ft. Lauderdale, UM dominates and thats' where most of the jobs are.

FYI miami has the 2nd largest international banking district in the country=Big law opportunities/solid jobs, if you do well. You guys were there, 2 Greenberg & Traurig PARTNERS, who were both UM alum, and one of which is in charge of recruiting, came to our luncheon. This really made an impression on me at least...

At my table, we were talking about biglaw oppourtunities for UM grads and the alumni at my table is currently working for Carlton Fields and then 2 Greenberg & Traurig partners stood up and I was impressed!

Also, during my tour they talked about how Miami is such a mega center and that for internships during the summer unless you plan on living somewhere else you can intern right in Miami, unlike UF and FSU students who normally have to intern in Orlando or Tampa due to the lack of large firms in their city. I kept thinking how much more convenient and cost effective it would be to stay in the city where you're paying rent (that is if you signed a 12 month lease).

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:20 pm

This ASW also made me feel more comfortable about going to law school this far away from home. It was a very simple 2:20 plane ride with few delays. My drive home from undergrad was longer.

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:09 pm

I also think people here should call on this site to describe UMiami Law in a more favorable light. The profile on TLS is in my opinion extremely unfair and contains many unsubstantiated statements. For instance, the 1Ls I talked to said the curve is around a 3.0, similar to most schools. This site makes you think the curve is a 2.0 and half the students are begging come graduation. It focuses so much on the acceptance rate and student faculty ratio and compares it unfavorably to schools like Hawaii. Of course it neglects to mention that job prospects from Miami are markedly better. Everyone I have talked to says I shouldn't be too hesitant to go there and TLS owes us an unbiased profile of the school at the very least.

matchesmalone

Postby matchesmalone » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:55 pm

eagles86 wrote:I also think people here should call on this site to describe UMiami Law in a more favorable light. The profile on TLS is in my opinion extremely unfair and contains many unsubstantiated statements. For instance, the 1Ls I talked to said the curve is around a 3.0, similar to most schools. This site makes you think the curve is a 2.0 and half the students are begging come graduation. It focuses so much on the acceptance rate and student faculty ratio and compares it unfavorably to schools like Hawaii. Of course it neglects to mention that job prospects from Miami are markedly better. Everyone I have talked to says I shouldn't be too hesitant to go there and TLS owes us an unbiased profile of the school at the very least.

I agree. The profile for UM is very negative. If I hadn't spoken to current students, I would have believed much of TLS's biased profile.

matchesmalone

Postby matchesmalone » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:01 pm

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

Does this concern any of you? Miami is not in the top 50.

msv5010

Postby msv5010 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:28 pm

For those of you who went on the housing tour or are familiar with the Miami area, what areas are considered safe vs. unsafe? I was looking at the relocation guide and some websites and I liked a lot of the apartments in Brickell, Kendall, and Dadeland, but I have no idea what the neighborhoods are like. Thanks for your help.

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:34 pm

Personally I'd prefer to live in Coral Gables bc its close to campus. We didnt see Kendall at all on the tour. Brickell seemed nice and so did the east portion of Coconut Grove (I heard the west part is REALLLLY bad). Dadeland is right by a large shopping mall and I'd prefer walkable streets but again, thats personal preference.

msv5010

Postby msv5010 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:38 pm

I don't mind driving a few extra minutes to get to school, but I completely agree with you about being able to walk the streets. Other than the west part of Coconut Grove, what areas should I avoid?

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:50 am

matchesmalone wrote:http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202443758843&hbxlogin=1

Does this concern any of you? Miami is not in the top 50.

I am a little concerned. I fully understand for biglaw @ UM, you need to be extra active in orgs and be in the top 25%. I say 25%, because I was speaking with an alumni at UM who is going into Biglaw, Carlton Fields to be exact, who stated that she as well as some of her peers were only in the top 25% but they were very active on campus in the law review and moot court/mock trial and they all have biglaw jobs in Miami, Chicago or Atlanta.

It'll be a juggling act but I want to do mock trial, moot court and black law review.

LegalGENius

Postby LegalGENius » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:20 am

msv5010 wrote:For those of you who went on the housing tour or are familiar with the Miami area, what areas are considered safe vs. unsafe? I was looking at the relocation guide and some websites and I liked a lot of the apartments in Brickell, Kendall, and Dadeland, but I have no idea what the neighborhoods are like. Thanks for your help.

Heading South on US-1 you come to.....
Brickell is expensive but very nice.
Coral Gables is closest to UMiami and is nice as well, but you compete with UM undergrads for a majority of the housing.
Coconut Grove is nice, but dicey in parts & not cheap.
Dadeland is very close to the Dadeland Mall and it is expanding rapidly with new condos and apts, nice.
Kendall is residential, nice.
Pinecrest is upper-class residential, nice.

Also, if you don't mind a commute, you may be able to find something reasonably priced in Pembroke Pines/Hollywood area (Broward County) or Miami Gardens it would be a 25 min. drive on the Palmetto Expressway. Just a thought!

gator08

Postby gator08 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:58 am

eagles86 wrote:I also think people here should call on this site to describe UMiami Law in a more favorable light. The profile on TLS is in my opinion extremely unfair and contains many unsubstantiated statements. For instance, the 1Ls I talked to said the curve is around a 3.0, similar to most schools. This site makes you think the curve is a 2.0 and half the students are begging come graduation. It focuses so much on the acceptance rate and student faculty ratio and compares it unfavorably to schools like Hawaii. Of course it neglects to mention that job prospects from Miami are markedly better. Everyone I have talked to says I shouldn't be too hesitant to go there and TLS owes us an unbiased profile of the school at the very least.

+1, whoever wrote the UMiami profile was extremely biased. They make it sound like a law school to avoid like plague, and that it the prob. with TLS. There is a huge NE bias, where the majority are of the opinion that if one is not in a T14 NE school you might as well shoot yourself bc you are unfit for life.

Originally my intent was to do my best at UMiami my first year then xfer to UVA because I was brain washed by everything I have read prior to now; basically T14 or die. Now I really want to stay and help foster a stronger UMiami law alumni community rather than being poached by a top school.

gator08

Postby gator08 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:42 am

msv5010 wrote:I don't mind driving a few extra minutes to get to school, but I completely agree with you about being able to walk the streets. Other than the west part of Coconut Grove, what areas should I avoid?

As far as where you sould live, its different strokes for different folks. Really, you can't go wrong living in Coral Gables, the Grove/South Miami (the nice parts), Kendall, Brickell, and Pinecrest. It just depends on what you want. If you want a short commute and don't mind being around undergrads, then housing near the U will do. On the other hand if you want to be around young professionals in a swanky pad, then you will love Brickell etc...

As far as areas to avoid, just use common sense and don't be afraid to ask your realtor q's. Nice, safe areas are going to be more expensive and like wise cheaper housing will be located in sketchy areas. To cut costs get a roomie, alot of very nice 2 bedrooms with utilities and parking included will only set you back 900/month. That is very reasonable in a big city.

msv5010

Postby msv5010 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:36 am

Thanks a lot guys, all this really helps. The one other area I looked at was downtown Miami. Anyone know anything about this area? I thought it would be really expensive there, but I noticed that, for example, the Loft Downtown II is pretty reasonably priced. Seems like a good deal unless I'm missing something.

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:36 am

There is certainly a northeastern bias on this site, especially new york probably more than anywhere. Of course T14 schools are the best but not everyone can score in the 98th percentile on the LSAT. UMiami is probably as good as anything below the top 20 for anything in South FL (of course outside the region is different but thats the case everywhere). UM also has a great undergrad alumni network and as someone whose dream job is to be a lawyer for a pro baseball team (other than the yankee$ lol), UM is a good fit here. I do agree that you need to attend a tier 1 or 2 as the tier 3,4s really just dont cut it for most. Miami is imo as good of a tier 2 as any out there due to its dominance of a large market.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:31 pm

l.o.l.

I was wondering what was going on with all the " lol " (<--spelled l.o.l but without the periods) stuff. T.L.S. a/k/a tls (<--spelled correctly) is apparently pulling a funny one over everyone and switching words.

April Fools, indeed.

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:26 am

From my ASW experience I would rate the U:

Law Building: 7.5- not state of the art but more than adequate. The bricks is a very nice place to eat/study

Campus: 9 - Palm trees all over, fitness center with recent $15 million renovation.

Surrounding Area: 8.5- A ton to do in Miami, Coral Gables is very nice. Just have to be careful because Miami has some brutal neighborhoods

Weather 9.5: Only bad part would be during mid- summer

Friendliness 9- Every Professor and prospective student was very kind, helpful. People were from all over the country, not too many locals from FL. I wish more people knew that Jersey Shore does not represent my home state in an accurate manner! (Yes, being a Red Sox fan from NJ may seem strange to some on here too). The show is coming to So Fla next so I'm sure it will stereotype Miami as well haha

Women: 9- Not gonna lie, pretty good compared to the crowd I see at other schools. And we weren't even on South Beach!

I'm 90% sure I'm going to Miami in the fall and should begin the housing, roommate in a month or so.

ihatethelsat

Postby ihatethelsat » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:10 pm

Ahh, I am between Santa Clara and Miami at the moment and I can't decide. I am visiting Miami in mid May and hope I fall in love and put down my second deposit right there and then. I am from Santa Barbara so Miami seems like a slightly different style, but still a good fit for me. Hopefully I will be seeing you guys this fall!

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:57 pm

Depends where you are comfortable practicing. Miami has much less local competition while SCU i imagine competes with berkeley, stanford, hastings, davis.

gator08

Postby gator08 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:30 am

Word on the street is, even though I'm not a big fan of USNWR, Miami jumped 11 spots to 60. Celebrate if you care about such a thing.

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:11 pm

It's not just word on the street...its pretty much a known fact from the leaked rankings

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”