UMiami ASW 2010

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
sarlis

Re: UMiami ASW 2010

Postby sarlis » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:33 am

gator08 wrote:
sarlis wrote:So are we def meeting at the biltmore hotel tomorrow night?

I'm assuming we're still on for the Biltmore.

haha nice! I'll be there around noon tomorrow, I think.

Where are you staying? I am at the Holiday Inn

LegalGENius

Postby LegalGENius » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:00 pm

Hello!

Are all of you attending ASW because you aren't familiar with the campus/area, or as a sign of real interest to the administration?

I'm not sure if I will be able to attend, though Miami is one of my top choices. Thoughts?

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:47 pm

just got the confirmation email... what the fuck is smart casual??????

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:00 pm

I'd love to come but may be too busy

Andreeai

Postby Andreeai » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:26 pm

lol, it is a tad more relaxed than business casual.

I guess they're trying to make sure we don't show up wearing beach shorts :lol:

Oh and they said to wear comfy shoes because we will be doing lots of walking

sarlis wrote:just got the confirmation email... what the fuck is smart casual??????

gator08

Postby gator08 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:50 pm

Andreeai wrote:lol, it is a tad more relaxed than business casual.

I guess they're trying to make sure we don't show up wearing beach shorts :lol:

Oh and they said to wear comfy shoes because we will be doing lots of walking

sarlis wrote:just got the confirmation email... what the fuck is smart casual??????

Well, I hope they won't be upset because I didn't bring any thing business casual. I'm going in jeans and a nice shirt.

gator08

Postby gator08 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:09 pm

Alright, walked around the campus and I have a few observations. First being from Ohio, Miami is definitely a culture shock. While cruising around campus I noticed there are TONS of palm trees and fountains. But I walked past the law building a couple of times because it looks like an apt building from Ace Ventura. The campus definitely has a 70s vibe to it. It's different from what I'm used to, but overall it's pretty nice; sunshine and palm trees have that effect.

I'm out got to find a bar that carries the Cavs. See y'all tomm or Fri if you're going to ASW.

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:16 pm

Lmao. So what is everyone planning on wearing? Jeans and a polo or what?

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:59 pm

Everyone who is in town. We are meeting at the biltmore hotel at 8 clock to start. We can go whereever from there. Come out and join us!

matchesmalone

Postby matchesmalone » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:10 pm

For those of us who couldn't go, would someone mind writing a summary of notable facts/what you guys did/general impressions?

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:28 am

matchesmalone wrote:For those of us who couldn't go, would someone mind writing a summary of notable facts/what you guys did/general impressions?

+1

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it down this past weekend either.

gator08

Postby gator08 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:49 am

J-tow10 wrote:
matchesmalone wrote:For those of us who couldn't go, would someone mind writing a summary of notable facts/what you guys did/general impressions?

+1

Miami was a blast. It seriously sucks being back in Ohio. But for those of you that couldn't go I can try to give you a run down of what I was impressed/unimpressed with.

Impressed with:
- Lifestyle, don't even know where to start. There are so many things to do and see, Miami beach is a whole 'nother topic. The weather was GREAT, so many beautiful people (ask Sarlis). I really am thinking of quiting my job now and moving immediately to Miami. Can't wait till school starts.

- The Law faculty. This was probably where I came away most impressed. Having known little about the faculty before arriving, all the professors I met (at least at first) were extremely nice, incredibly accomplished and seemed genuinely interested in you and your future success not only for your time there, but out into your career as well. At ASD they had a mock IP class. The prof. (forgetting his name at the moment) made a very boring subject incredibly delightful. To not be too long winded I can just say I came away impressed.

- The students. It goes without saying you probably are wondering what type of people you are going to be sharing the next 3 yrs of your life with. And I am happy to say that no one I talked to seemed "douchie" or pretentious, everybody was just really genuine and had a solid personality. I was really worried about what type of people my potential classmates would be like and it's pleasing to know that their are not like those elitist east coast types.

Unimpressed:
- The law building and facilities. If you are looking for traditional style buildings and aesthetics at your law school of choice, Miami isn't it. I seriously passed the law school 3 times becasue I thought it looked like an apartment building. Everything on campus looks like it was built in the 70s. Classroomes weren't too impressive, but the mock trial court room was nice however. It basically has your necessities to be educated, but I wish the buildings and classrooms were newer. They are planning to build a whole new Coral Gables campus in the near future but that would only be of benefit to students in the class 2020. My dissapointment comes mostly from expecting somthing else, but to me the building and rooms just didn't set me ablaze. The Law library was nice and spacious though, 4 floors and plenty of study areas.

- Expensive. I'm from a very affordable midwest city so the cost of living in Miami cimes as a shock. I blew through $500 in just 4 days. Cabs were killing me (gotta have a car), I really didn't eat but I have to confess I was out every night till 5am; probably had a lot to do with the hole in my wallet. Overall, especially Miami Beach, its pretty pricey; there are deals to be had though.

Alright thats bout it, I'm starting the roommate search if anyone is interested PM me, otherwise it was a blast, I have a ton of crazy stories and I can't wait to get back!!!

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:59 am

Thanks for the update Gator08. Did anyone there (faculty or students) allude to what job prospects were like in Miami right now, especially ITE?

LegalGENius

Postby LegalGENius » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:08 am

gator08 wrote:
J-tow10 wrote:

+1

Miami was a blast. It seriously sucks being back in Ohio. But for those of you that couldn't go I can try to give you a run down of what I was impressed/unimpressed with.

Impressed with:
- Lifestyle, don't even know where to start. There are so many things to do and see, Miami beach is a whole 'nother topic. The weather was GREAT, so many beautiful people (ask Sarlis). I really am thinking of quiting my job now and moving immediately to Miami. Can't wait till school starts.

- The Law faculty. This was probably where I came away most impressed. Having known little about the faculty before arriving, all the professors I met (at least at first) were extremely nice, incredibly accomplished and seemed genuinely interested in you and your future success not only for your time there, but out into your career as well. At ASD they had a mock IP class. The prof. (forgetting his name at the moment) made a very boring subject incredibly delightful. To not be too long winded I can just say I came away impressed.

- The students. It goes without saying you probably are wondering what type of people you are going to be sharing the next 3 yrs of your life with. And I am happy to say that no one I talked to seemed "douchie" or pretentious, everybody was just really genuine and had a solid personality. I was really worried about what type of people my potential classmates would be like and it's pleasing to know that their are not like those elitist east coast types.

Unimpressed:
- The law building and facilities. If you are looking for traditional style buildings and aesthetics at your law school of choice, Miami isn't it. I seriously passed the law school 3 times becasue I thought it looked like an apartment building. Everything on campus looks like it was built in the 70s. Classroomes weren't too impressive, but the mock trial court room was nice however. It basically has your necessities to be educated, but I wish the buildings and classrooms were newer. They are planning to build a whole new Coral Gables campus in the near future but that would only be of benefit to students in the class 2020. My dissapointment comes mostly from expecting somthing else, but to me the building and rooms just didn't set me ablaze. The Law library was nice and spacious though, 4 floors and plenty of study areas.

- Expensive. I'm from a very affordable midwest city so the cost of living in Miami cimes as a shock. I blew through $500 in just 4 days. Cabs were killing me (gotta have a car), I really didn't eat but I have to confess I was out every night till 5am; probably had a lot to do with the hole in my wallet. Overall, especially Miami Beach, its pretty pricey; there are deals to be had though.

Alright thats bout it, I'm starting the roommate search if anyone is interested PM me, otherwise it was a blast, I have a ton of crazy stories and I can't wait to get back!!!

Thanks for taking the time to do that! You have me excited for the Fall :D

gator08

Postby gator08 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:14 am

J-tow10 wrote:Thanks for the update Gator08. Did anyone there (faculty or students) allude to what job prospects were like in Miami right now, especially ITE?

Job prospects are tough. The administration tried to quell fears by saying in 3 years, when we graduate, the market will have rebounded. Miami has an extremely active alumni network, which is great. But for those graduating right now its not an ideal job market and I would venture to say many who thought they were going to be hired into big law are extremely dissapointed. Whatever school you choose to attend you need to be at least top 50% if not top 25% to put yourself in the most favorable position.

Side note, Money magazine ranked law as the job sector that will expereince the most growth in the near future. They say that many firms large and small overreacted to the economy and didn't experience a large dropoff in work. Many firms are under-staffed, according to Money, as a pre-cautionary measure. So for what it is worth, I took this as a positive. As far as U Miami goes, it can't hurt to be in the backyard of the 4th largest city in the US and a major legal market when the job market turns around.
Last edited by gator08 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:16 am

I felt that people were fairly honest about job prospects. Many have found jobs but some haven't and that's to be expected with the current economic state we're in. I talked to a few TLSers there although I didnt want to admit I use this site lol. The campus is very nice and so is the town of Coral Gables. Overall it was a fun weekend and I didn't burn $500 on south beach haha

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:20 am

UMiami is also by far the top school in a metro area of 5 million. The other schools in the area are all tier 3,4 types that are ranked well below. Sure, FSU, UF may place better throughout the state but Florida is huge and I dont have any interest in northern or central FL.

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:23 am

gator08 wrote:
J-tow10 wrote:Thanks for the update Gator08. Did anyone there (faculty or students) allude to what job prospects were like in Miami right now, especially ITE?

Job prospects are tough. The administration tried to quell fears by saying in 3 years, when we graduate, the market will have rebounded. Miami has an extremely active alumni network, which is great. But for those graduating right now its not an ideal job market and I would venture to say many who thought they were going to be hired into big law are extremely dissapointed. Whatever school you choose to attend you need to be at least top 50% if not top 25% to put yourself in the most favorable position.

Side note, Money magazine ranked law as the job sector that will expereince the most growth in the near future. They say that many firms large and small overreacted to the economy and didn't experience a large dropoff in work. Many firms are under-staffed, according to Money, as a pre-cautionary measure. So for what it is worth, I took this as a positive. As far as U Miami goes, it can't hurt to be in the backyard of the 4th largest city in the US and a major legal market when the job market turns around.

Thanks for the post. Glad to hear from you and eagles86 that all is not doom and gloom.

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:26 am

Most people there had never even heard of TLS. I was hesitant to admit I'm on here because many of the people here are jerks who think any non T14= career in "shitlaw"

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:30 am

eagles86 wrote:Most people there had never even heard of TLS. I was hesitant to admit I'm on here because many of the people here are jerks who think any non T14= career in "shitlaw"

I completely know what you mean. I think TLS is both a blessing and a curse.

gator08

Postby gator08 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:35 am

eagles86 wrote:Most people there had never even heard of TLS. I was hesitant to admit I'm on here because many of the people here are jerks who think any non T14= career in "shitlaw"

+1, there are alot of elitist snobs on TLS and you need to be careful to not "step in it". The president of the American Bar Association is a UMiami Law grad. It's not all doom and gloom out there. It's going to be what you make of it. While I agree you need to at least attend a T1, T2 school, if you commit yourself and do well, you will be shoulder to shoulder with the grads of T14 schools. It's no longer a birth right for a Harvard grad below the median to graduate with a big law job. I would much rather go to UMiami, where its much less "douchy" finish top 25%+ than go to a "prestigious" school and be at the median or below. JMHO

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:25 pm

There's more than just biglaw out there...South Florida most likely has some decent midlaw firms as well. Florida also has no state- income tax, which helps even more. Sure, I think this is bad policy (center-left/ moderate Democrat here) but more $$ in my pocket can't hurt :) Some people think that Miami is a major culture shock but I don't really believe it. South Florida has a northeastern vibe so I felt fairly comfortable...like Miami because it offers great weather without that "southern" culture that's present in many places throughout the southeast.

Sky'stheLimit

Postby Sky'stheLimit » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:41 pm

eagles86 wrote:There's more than just biglaw out there...South Florida most likely has some decent midlaw firms as well. Florida also has no state- income tax, which helps even more. Sure, I think this is bad policy (center-left/ moderate Democrat here) but more $$ in my pocket can't hurt :) Some people think that Miami is a major culture shock but I don't really believe it. South Florida has a northeastern vibe so I felt fairly comfortable...like Miami because it offers great weather without that "southern" culture that's present in many places throughout the southeast.

Im from south florida, and I promise it's not that expensive. Granted if you're from West Virginia, you may disagree. But it's Miami! Name any other city where if you live with one roommate your rent will be less than $800 p/mo. Going out in Miami is a different story. Forget about South Beach, you'll get over it quickly (or you'll get tired of $18 drinks). Miami is a great city with fabulous alumni, and I dont care what any Gator says; In Miami even Ft. Lauderdale, UM dominates and thats' where most of the jobs are.

FYI miami has the 2nd largest international banking district in the country=Big law opportunities/solid jobs, if you do well. You guys were there, 2 Greenberg & Traurig PARTNERS, who were both UM alum, and one of which is in charge of recruiting, came to our luncheon. This really made an impression on me at least...

Sky'stheLimit

Postby Sky'stheLimit » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:41 pm

eagles86 wrote:There's more than just biglaw out there...South Florida most likely has some decent midlaw firms as well. Florida also has no state- income tax, which helps even more. Sure, I think this is bad policy (center-left/ moderate Democrat here) but more $$ in my pocket can't hurt :) Some people think that Miami is a major culture shock but I don't really believe it. South Florida has a northeastern vibe so I felt fairly comfortable...like Miami because it offers great weather without that "southern" culture that's present in many places throughout the southeast.

Im from south florida, and I promise it's not that expensive. Granted if you're from West Virginia, you may disagree. But it's Miami! Name any other city where if you live with one roommate your rent will be less than $800 p/mo. Going out in Miami is a different story. Forget about South Beach, you'll get over it quickly (or you'll get tired of $18 drinks). Miami is a great city with fabulous alumni, and I dont care what any Gator says; In Miami even Ft. Lauderdale, UM dominates and thats' where most of the jobs are.

FYI miami has the 2nd largest international banking district in the country=Big law opportunities/solid jobs, if you do well. You guys were there, 2 Greenberg & Traurig PARTNERS, who were both UM alum, and one of which is in charge of recruiting, came to our luncheon. This really made an impression on me at least...

km23

Postby km23 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:48 pm

Last edited by km23 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”