UMiami ASW 2010 Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
ihatethelsat

New

Re: UMiami ASW 2010

Post by ihatethelsat » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:20 am

Was anyone able to take part in the housing chat tonight? If so, how was it? any useful info? i missed it bc of stupid work and the time difference:(!

gator08

New

Post by gator08 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:23 pm

ihatethelsat wrote:Was anyone able to take part in the housing chat tonight? If so, how was it? any useful info? i missed it bc of stupid work and the time difference:(!
You didn't miss a whole lot. It basically reiterated everything that was said during the housing tour at ASW. The jist of it was where students live currently mainly in the Gables, Grove, South Miami, Kendall/Dadeland, and on Brickell. The realtors recommend that you don't live too far away from campus your first year ie. Brickell because, almost all of your classes are going to be early. But, if you are a morning person that will not matter to you.

Oh, get used to the fact that you will be commuting since there are virtually no places that are within walking distance of the school, unless you wanna rub elbows with a bunch of undergrads. Also, living in Miami is expensive. Get a roommate. Plan on spending about 900/month (utilities included for a nice 2 bed 2 bath) for your share of rent.

The price is worth it, I can't wait to get down to Miami. I will be moving at the end of May, so pumped!

ihatethelsat

New

Post by ihatethelsat » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:43 pm

gator08 wrote:
ihatethelsat wrote:Was anyone able to take part in the housing chat tonight? If so, how was it? any useful info? i missed it bc of stupid work and the time difference:(!
You didn't miss a whole lot. It basically reiterated everything that was said during the housing tour at ASW. The jist of it was where students live currently mainly in the Gables, Grove, South Miami, Kendall/Dadeland, and on Brickell. The realtors recommend that you don't live too far away from campus your first year ie. Brickell because, almost all of your classes are going to be early. But, if you are a morning person that will not matter to you.

Oh, get used to the fact that you will be commuting since there are virtually no places that are within walking distance of the school, unless you wanna rub elbows with a bunch of undergrads. Also, living in Miami is expensive. Get a roommate. Plan on spending about 900/month (utilities included for a nice 2 bed 2 bath) for your share of rent.

The price is worth it, I can't wait to get down to Miami. I will be moving at the end of May, so pumped!

Awesome, thanks so much! Wow, 900 a month though!? I lived in Santa Barbara and rent wasn't even that crazy. Well, it is Miami... what did I expect. Ok, well time to find a roommate, is anyone else going to fill out the roommate finder thing on Miami's website?

gator08

New

Post by gator08 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:47 pm

ihatethelsat wrote:
gator08 wrote:

Awesome, thanks so much! Wow, 900 a month though!? I lived in Santa Barbara and rent wasn't even that crazy. Well, it is Miami... what did I expect. Ok, well time to find a roommate, is anyone else going to fill out the roommate finder thing on Miami's website?
Heck ya, I thought I had a roommate lined up during ASW then he chose to attend OSU. Thanks Sarlis ;) Heat Rox 4 Life.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:29 pm

Anyone worried about natural attrition and what happens if you get roomed with one of those people that drop out? Perhaps, I am over thinking it but in the college town I'm from...it happens A LOT. In law school, everything rides on your credit (unless you're on a full ride). If your roommate drops out and moves on and you can't pay the full price of rent then you wont be going to law school the following year. In Miami, the prices are so high that it requires you to have a roommate. I am freaking myself out about this, but I'm really worried. I need to find a one bedroom.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sw10

New

Post by sw10 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:42 pm

trialjunky wrote:Anyone worried about natural attrition and what happens if you get roomed with one of those people that drop out? Perhaps, I am over thinking it but in the college town I'm from...it happens A LOT. In law school, everything rides on your credit (unless you're on a full ride). If your roommate drops out and moves on and you can't pay the full price of rent then you wont be going to law school the following year. In Miami, the prices are so high that it requires you to have a roommate. I am freaking myself out about this, but I'm really worried. I need to find a one bedroom.
Yeah, I'm actually worried about that too. I guess I'm going to try to find a roommate anyway though and take that chance.. It's a lot more expensive to live on your own :?

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:38 am

sw10 wrote:
trialjunky wrote:Anyone worried about natural attrition and what happens if you get roomed with one of those people that drop out? Perhaps, I am over thinking it but in the college town I'm from...it happens A LOT. In law school, everything rides on your credit (unless you're on a full ride). If your roommate drops out and moves on and you can't pay the full price of rent then you wont be going to law school the following year. In Miami, the prices are so high that it requires you to have a roommate. I am freaking myself out about this, but I'm really worried. I need to find a one bedroom.
Yeah, I'm actually worried about that too. I guess I'm going to try to find a roommate anyway though and take that chance.. It's a lot more expensive to live on your own :?
It's a lot more expensive to pay 1700 when your roommate bails though.

gator08

New

Post by gator08 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:12 am

I wouldn't worry about it. There is this thing you sign called a lease, which is a contract. The only way you are going to get stuck with the full amt of the rent is by letting your flunky roommate out of the lease agreement by amending it. Lease agreements are usually binding unless agreed to otherwise at the outset. No landlord would sign a tenant(s) to a 12 month lease and let them just leave on a whim. So your fears should be asuaged.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:37 pm

gator08 wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it. There is this thing you sign called a lease, which is a contract. The only way you are going to get stuck with the full amt of the rent is by letting your flunky roommate out of the lease agreement by amending it. Lease agreements are usually binding unless agreed to otherwise at the outset. No landlord would sign a tenant(s) to a 12 month lease and let them just leave on a whim. So your fears should be asuaged.

I am well aware of the fact that you sign a lease. I am also aware that in the lease it doesnt stipulate that I ONLY have to pay half of the rent. If your roommate who drops out of law school and isn't afraid of having bad credit (like how many millions of people who are walking away from their houses because their underwater) it leaves you with the full responsibility to pay the full amount. If you go delinquent in your payments, both roommates would be responsible for the remaining money...including you (or in this hypothetical case...me :( )

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gator08

New

Post by gator08 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:18 pm

trialjunky wrote:
gator08 wrote:

I am well aware of the fact that you sign a lease. I am also aware that in the lease it doesnt stipulate that I ONLY have to pay half of the rent. If your roommate who drops out of law school and isn't afraid of having bad credit (like how many millions of people who are walking away from their houses because their underwater) it leaves you with the full responsibility to pay the full amount. If you go delinquent in your payments, both roommates would be responsible for the remaining money...including you (or in this hypothetical case...me :( )
If they have bad credit, they would need a cosigner to get the lease. But, I understand where you are coming from. At law school the people that attend are significantly different than those that come into undergrad. People at this stage of their lives are supposed to have their shit together.

I couldn't imagine someone seriously being shady enough to just leave and stick another person with an apartment and all payments. It's a lawsuit and an order of enforcement waiting to happen, plus if an individual would violate this order they are in contempt of court, will have a warrant issued for their arrest and will do time.

To me this hypothetical is far fetched although grounded in a real sense of anxiety. Still I wouldn't worry.

eagles86

Bronze

Post by eagles86 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:39 pm

1L attrition is fairly low at a school like Miami...just talk to a prospective roommate before to make sure his/ her head is screwed on correctly lol. It's not that difficult to tell who is a mess

Andreeai

New

Post by Andreeai » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:50 pm

gator08 wrote:
trialjunky wrote:
gator08 wrote:

If they have bad credit, they would need a cosigner to get the lease. But, I understand where you are coming from. At law school the people that attend are significantly different than those that come into undergrad. People at this stage of their lives are supposed to have their shit together.

I couldn't imagine someone seriously being shady enough to just leave and stick another person with an apartment and all payments. It's a lawsuit and an order of enforcement waiting to happen, plus if an individual would violate this order they are in contempt of court, will have a warrant issued for their arrest and will do time.

To me this hypothetical is far fetched although grounded in a real sense of anxiety. Still I wouldn't worry.

I understand where trialjunky is coming from. The problem with signing a lease with somebody is that if that person bails before the lease is up, the other person is responsible for the remaining of the lease. He/she would still have to pay full rent until the rent is up, and then take the roommate to court and try to recoup the money.
Trial junky, do you know you have the option of signing individual leases for an apartment. This means you are signing a lease for a room only, and your roommate signs a separate lease for the other room. The only problem with this is finding a landlord that is willing to do it.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:50 pm

Andreeai wrote:
I understand where trialjunky is coming from. The problem with signing a lease with somebody is that if that person bails before the lease is up, the other person is responsible for the remaining of the lease. He/she would still have to pay full rent until the rent is up, and then take the roommate to court and try to recoup the money.
Trial junky, do you know you have the option of signing individual leases for an apartment. This means you are signing a lease for a room only, and your roommate signs a separate lease for the other room. The only problem with this is finding a landlord that is willing to do it.

Individual leasing would be ideal but the places I called said they wouldnt do it. :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”